autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Foamed Wool Pads - purple

Tested the pads yesterday for the first time with no previous experience with this or other wool like pads. I can tell ya it's different to foam pads, which made me a bit

The cut was amazing even if compared with most aggressive foam pads; I was shocked with it's ability but at the same time not sure as to how much product to use. Obviously no need to prime, but really which is the correct way to work with this type of pad?!? How much product is needed?!? This is a completely a new ball game in detailing for me, so be easy please!

Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Foamed Wool Pads - purple

Anyone ever used the purple Foamed Wool Pads?

How to apply a compound such as M105? On the pad or directly on a panel? How about horizontal panels?

Thanks
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like
    I like to use the PFW on the Flex 3401. It works quite well and can knock out defects quickly. I use the pick up a bead method much like you would with a rotary. Just remember, Flex machines rotate counter clockwise as compared to most domestic machines.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Porsche Pilot View Post
    I like to use the PFW on the Flex 3401. It works quite well and can knock out defects quickly. I use the pick up a bead method much like you would with a rotary. Just remember, Flex machines rotate counter clockwise as compared to most domestic machines.
    How is the cut compared to Surbuf or Megs MF cutting pad?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

I just saw the purple wool pads the other day and I was shocked - never seen them before! My supplier said that they are no different from traditional wool pads other than less shedding - which would be a great perk I think.... shedding can be annoying. I usually apply a circle of product around the middle of the pad (hope that makes sense), spread it around the panel and go to town. I may use more product than most though, seems safer than letting a "too dry" wool pad spin around on some paint. I also feel a wool pad is MUCH easier to control than a heavy cut foam pad. But then again I was born with a wool pad on my makita.
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    there is the purple foamed wool and a (hybrid) foam wool that is to be similar it say in description. I have not used either but I plan to pick one of these up .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
    How is the cut compared to Surbuf or Megs MF cutting pad?
    I find they cut a tad faster than the Surbuf but I am using them on a more powerful machine than the PC.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Danube View Post

Tested the pads yesterday for the first time with no previous experience with this or other wool like pads. I can tell ya it's different to foam pads, which made me a bit
    Which one of your Flex tools are you using it with?

The cut was amazing even if compared with most aggressive foam pads; I was shocked with it's ability but at the same time not sure as to how much product to use.
    You'll notice your product tends to dissipate or disappear as you're buffing with these types of pads on the Flex 3401, not sure what causes this characteristic but do make sure you have "ample" product on the surface whenever you're buffing.

From this article,

How much product do I use with my DA Polisher?

Use an "ample" amount of product
    When I say use an ample amount of product this means don’t use too much product and don’t use to little product.

From The Free Dictionary.com
    am·ple
    adjective
    1. Of large or great size, amount, extent, or capacity: an ample living room.

a. Large in degree, kind, or quantity: an ample reward.
    b. More than enough: ample evidence.

3. Fully sufficient to meet a need or purpose: had ample food for the party.
    Out of the above definitions, I'm using the 3rd definition.
    Using too much product
    If you use too much you can hyper-lubricate the surface and this will make it more difficult for the abrasives to abrade the surface as they’ll tend to want to glide or slip over the surface instead of bite into the surface.

Using too little product
    If you use too little product there won’t be enough lubrication to enable the buffing pad to rotate and thus engage the abrasives against the surface so they can bite into and remove small particles of paint.
    You want an AMPLE amount of product when first starting out because you pad is dry and some of the product is going to seep into the pad leaving less on the surface to LUBRICATE and ABRADE the paint.

Obviously no need to prime, but really which is the correct way to work with this type of pad?!? How much product is needed?!? This is a completely a new ball game in detailing for me, so be easy please!

With the Flex 3401, prime your pad with the product you're using then add some "working product" to the face of the pad, like dime sized dollops.

With a rotary buffer, use like you would any other wool pad, that is a strip of product about the size of a normal pencil for a 2 x 2' area and the spread the product out after picking up your bead and then work it.

I show that in this video with a wool pad but you can use the same tips and techniques with a PFW on a rotary...

Tips for using a Rotary Buffer and the Flex 3401 on vertical panels

Anyone ever used the purple Foamed Wool Pads?

How to apply a compound such as M105? On the pad or directly on a panel? How about horizontal panels?

Thanks
    See answers and video above...

Post Thanks / Like

They cut completely different than standard wool pad. They are knitted, not tufted like conventional pad. You can compound with them with a compound, or polish with the with a polish. The cut fast and consistent.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, the PFW are at the mild side of the continuum for wool pads. They are not aggressive as say the Megs Solo or the 3M white wool. But both of those shred like crazy. The real winner for me in pads is the Tuf Buff black wool. NO shredding, and it cuts like the a/m other 2. If you work it long enough, it finishes down quite well for just minimal correction after that. Wool+rotary=fast correction. When you get used to that, your DA will be used far less often.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast