autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So many pads to pick...

So Im tired of hand polishing and waxing my cars and I am trying to put together a kit with a Griots 6" and some pads. I was looking at a 6 pack LC flat pads and thinking about getting the hydrotech pads, 3 tangerine, 2 crimson, and maybe one regular orange pad. Both of my cars are in good condition with only minor defects. As of right now I use Meguiars ultimate line; wash, compound, polish, and liquid wax. Just wondering if anyone would suggest otherwise for pad choices. Also I was looking at xmt pad cleaner and conditioner should I be buying them along with all this?

Post Thanks / Like
    A bunch of people like the flat pads. I chose the HT so I wouldn't have to have so many pads. I'd go with 4 tangerine and 2 crimson. The tangerine finish nice so they will work with a polish, AIO, or finishing polish. The XMT pad cleaner is good but I can live without the conditioner. I use QD strength ONR for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: So many pads to pick...

Considering your cars are in good condition. Get'em in 5.5". You'll need a 5" backing plate too.
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfOC View Post
    Considering your cars are in good condition. Get'em in 5.5". You'll need a 5" backing plate too.

If the car is in good condition, why go down to a 5.5" pad? New here and trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can

Post Thanks / Like

To Simplify things a bit, Meguiar's has come up with their Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction System. This system works very well and has gained a great deal of popularity in just a short time.

Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System 5 Inch Starter Kit, paint correction kit, dual action polishing kit

If you're looking at alternative foam pads this somewhat categorizes the Lake Country Brand.

Foam Pads

To simplify pad usage, I've given a generic usage of pads and products.

Compounding

Compounds or aggressive products are generally used on firmer pads, Yellow, Orange, and Green.

Polishing

The White and Gray pads are generally used with polishes.

Sealants & Waxes

Blue and Red foam pads work nicely for applying sealants and waxes.
    These are a very good choice of pads for the Porter Cable stye dual action polisher..

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=BobbyG;637137]To Simplify things a bit, Meguiar's has come up with their Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction System. This system works very well and has gained a great deal of popularity in just a short time.

Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System 5 Inch Starter Kit, paint correction kit, dual action polishing kit

What are the benifits of MF pads? will they last longer than foam or work better?

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Never2Loud31;637213]
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    To Simplify things a bit, Meguiar's has come up with their Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction System. This system works very well and has gained a great deal of popularity in just a short time.

What are the benifits of MF pads? will they last longer than foam or work better?
    These pads are designed to be used with a specific compound and finishing polish included in the kit hence the reason for the 2 pad system. The new Meguiar's system not only works well but greatly simplifies the correction process while producing outstanding results..

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

After reading more and watching a few video reviews I took advantage of the free shipping and got a GG 6", Meguiars DA Microfiber system, BOGO LC flat blue pads, xmt cleaner, and a free sample of Pinnacle liquid souveran. Just gotta wait to bring the Mustang out of storage to test them!