autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning pad after a pass

....Cut down on the amount of product AFTER pad is broken-in...
    After your pad is broken in with product, clean your pad after each section pass and when you apply fresh product you can cut down on the amount of product you actually apply to the face of your pad...

I read this on help for newbies DA Polishers by Mike, Im a bit confused however. Does this mean after I do every panel: IE hood, doors, etc..., do I have to clean pad with XMT pad cleaner? Seems like more work than should be done but again, this is all new to me

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning pad after a pass

Quote Originally Posted by CAMAROZL1 View Post
    ....Cut down on the amount of product AFTER pad is broken-in...
    After your pad is broken in with product, clean your pad after each section pass and when you apply fresh product you can cut down on the amount of product you actually apply to the face of your pad...

I read this on help for newbies DA Polishers by Mike, Im a bit confused however. Does this mean after I do every panel: IE hood, doors, etc..., do I have to clean pad with XMT pad cleaner? Seems like more work than should be done but again, this is all new to me

You clean the pad when it becomes gummed up. With foam, I've always just grabbed a new pad and cleaned them all when I'm done

If I'm using wool, then I spin the pad and hold a screwdriver against it and work in an outward motion

Does this make sense to you?
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

yeah makes sense glad I bought more than 1 pad. Your wise beyond your years Flash

Post Thanks / Like

There are several methods. Search "cleaning on the fly". I use a brush on foam.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAMAROZL1 View Post
    yeah makes sense glad I bought more than 1 pad. Your wise beyond your years Flash
    You waste a little more product (polish) using this method, but to be honest with you, wasting product (polish) is the last thing I'm concerned with when polishing

I'm really not that smart, but thanks anyway
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning after each pass , when you get used to doing it , it does seem to help the results your getting + time to get them.

also i think using 2 pads on each car is a basic thing. (for each process, 2 for cutting, 2 for polishing/finishing).

Also, giving them a good wash helps keeping them fresh for the next time.

Post Thanks / Like

Today we detailed a piockup truck that was heavily scratched from ranch to and froms so nonetheless it was compounded, polished then sealed...
    Well we were using a wool pad and like always dust right !?!? Well I cranked up the air compressor to blow off all the dust and as one of my guys was compounding I noticed his pad was gummed up ... So naturally we use a stiff bristled brush to break up the compound while spinning it . Well this time I had him spin it and o blasted 150 psi onto the pad and OMG did this sucker clean up in a jiffy!
    Worked just as good on foam too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcandetail View Post
    Well this time I had him spin it and o blasted 150 psi onto the pad and OMG did this sucker clean up in a jiffy!
    Worked just as good on foam too!
    This is exactly what I do. Works great, and it's fast.