autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Storing Foam Pads Wet with BFWD??

So, considering how difficult it is to remove BFWD from my black LC pads, what are your thoughts on storing the pad still wet with product in an airtight/zip-lock bag??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Storing Foam Pads Wet with BFWD??

My 2nd time out, I changed things up a little to avoid the leftover. Used very little product to avoid over sturating the pad, and then as soon as i finished, i took it inside, used 2-3 drops of dawn, agitated, and rinsed, squeezed, rinsed and got 99% of it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Id not ziplock them.

After correcting my car and cleaning the pads, I put them in zip lock bags and didnt fully seal them thinking the moisture would evaportate and leave the bag keeping them safe.

All they did was condense at the top of the bag, kept the pad moist for 2-3 months and started to mold.
    Jacob

Post Thanks / Like

I've already been ziplocking my pads for some time now with no moisture in the bags. I let them thoroughly dry before closing them up though. I started doing this because my pads (white LC especially) were changing colors. The texture of the white ones actuallly felt different to the touch once they changed also. Plus, I thought my idea would eliminate priming the pad next time I need it for the WD. Oh well.

I may try it if I know it's going to be a relatively short time between use and then clean well for longer storage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by courtdale View Post
    My 2nd time out, I changed things up a little to avoid the leftover. Used very little product to avoid over sturating the pad, and then as soon as i finished, i took it inside, used 2-3 drops of dawn, agitated, and rinsed, squeezed, rinsed and got 99% of it out.

I probably use too much product, I'm sure...but I've always tried to clean right after use with Dawn and getting all the WD out has been a bear. I even let it soak for a bit with no improved results.

Post Thanks / Like

do not seal in a ziploc bag it will mold. I ruined 2 pads by doing this. I even tried putting the applicator in the bag with BFWD (not washing off) and it still grew black fuzzy mold, and that was with no water/moisture added.

Now I just put the pads in a small plastic drawer storage bin. it's not air tight and hasn't molded yet but still keeps the dust off the pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy View Post
    So, considering how difficult it is to remove BFWD from my black LC pads, what are your thoughts on storing the pad still wet with product in an airtight/zip-lock bag??
    This is actually a pretty common way to temporarily store the pads while wet. I do the same thing with paint brushes when painting indoors or outside too...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

opie_7afe

could freeze the BFWD pads, but it might make the stuff separate while on the pad causing a mess. my grandfather always stored his used paint brushes in the freezer instead of cleaning them out, especially if he knew he was going to be using that brush again soon. was a great idea i still use to this day.. my dad used it, now i use the same method lol...