autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with picking pads

I suggest mf pads because they're fast cutters and great. I would actually suggest more orange pads then white pads because a stiffer pad and a fine polish finishes better than just a white pad and polish. Mind you I do use white pads and polish to take off the previous lsp but that's just setting the polisher on the highest setting and running it over the car quicker than an actual polish. Plus because I keep a small bucket of onr as a pad cleaner, I do tend to just use one or two pads for the whole vehicle. I use orange pads and a fine polish if I need to actually correct the minor swirls and what have you.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

LC flats work wonders for me w/ my PC. Mind you, I never have that much correcting to do, but I do have some. And, IMO the paint on my Ram is somewhere between "medium hardness & hard".

My go-to is the LC orange & HD Speed. Orange because the white just won't quite get it on the harder paint.

Totally agree with Eldo on the Flats being more comfortable to use.

Also, I can easily do my whole truck with 4 pads using MP's "clean on the fly" method.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

At the very least:

4 orange cutting
    4 white polishing
    2 black finishing

Get a pad conditioning brush to know off the caked stuff, and use a terry or microfiber towel to soak up the moisture. Probably going to want some good pad cleaner too. Maybe McKee's 37.

As far as flat vs thin? I never have issues with parents rotation, even when using 1.25" pads. If I were going thin, I'd also consider the Meguiar's version. They're awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

Once you get your process/pads dialed in, wait for a sale and pick up a six pack of Buff & Shine flats in white. Best move I made in a long time. I keep all my good pads for my own work (and nicer cars) and take really good care of them. And then when family and friends want a quick "wax job", I get out the B&S pads and use them with all-in-ones/cleaner waxes. They're great for those quick and dirty jobs-- durable, versatile, you get a little correction/cleaning ability, and the price is right. Then you don't have to worry about contaminating/abusing your "good" pads. That's not to say the B&S aren't "good". In fact, they're great. But it's nice to have a second set for rougher, quicker work where you aren't going to invest a lot of time (and your "customers" aren't autogeeks).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for everyone's help!
    I already ordered and here's what I decided on and why...

12 pack LC flat. I chose these because from what I'm learning, you want a good amount of pads while working. Also, because I wanted to keep price down since I'm not sure how much I'll be able to use. I am sure the thin pads are better but for a beginner to play around I didn't want the extra cost at this point. If I use more often than I think then I will think about building a bigger supply and probably go thin, but until then I thought this was most effective (12 flat vs 6 thin).

Now for quantity.
    3 Orange
    6 white
    3 black

I went this route because 2 of the vehicles I have in mind are very well taken care of so there really shouldn't be much need for correction with orange but I wanted them if I needed them. White because this is what I thought I would use most because I would either be doing a cleaner or swirl remover followed by a coat of wax. Also white because for as little time I have to dedicate to the cars, AIO's are looking more appealing to me and from what I'm told you need the white pad for that. Lastly, so many black because I also plan on using the DA to wax my boat and although I should only need one, I wanted extra if I only have time to do one side one day and if that pad isn't clean or dry I can still get back at it the next day.

Post Thanks / Like

I did also order the McKee's pad cleaner and a spur for my wool but I forgot to order a brush for the foam pads. I saw how to use a towel or compressed air to clean up the pad if need be, but how stiff or soft of bristles (maybe compared to a toothbrush) do I need for on the fly and or for cleaning with the pad cleaner? Or can anyone​ recommend something that that is readily available at a common store?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I have been in love with the CG hexlogic pads. I avoided them for a while because of the price, but so far I am very pleased. The white pad is my favorite and for applying waxes and such the black is very good. But again, the price. I use Meg's otherwise though. They have decent pads and the variety packs are a very good value. I usually have a cocktail of pads.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

Does hexlogic and lc flat advice options work the same with GG 6

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Whipped500 View Post
    I did also order the McKee's pad cleaner and a spur for my wool but I forgot to order a brush for the foam pads. I saw how to use a towel or compressed air to clean up the pad if need be, but how stiff or soft of bristles (maybe compared to a toothbrush) do I need for on the fly and or for cleaning with the pad cleaner? Or can anyone​ recommend something that that is readily available at a common store?
    Thanks
    I used a denture brush for years to clean on the fly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PouncingPanzer View Post
    I have been in love with the CG hexlogic pads. I avoided them for a while because of the price, but so far I am very pleased. The white pad is my favorite and for applying waxes and such the black is very good. But again, the price. I use Meg's otherwise though. They have decent pads and the variety packs are a very good value. I usually have a cocktail of pads.
    The Hex Logic pads are manufactured for CG by Buff and Shine. You can fine the same foams in the 5.5" Buff and Shine Grip Pads. They excellent too!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast