autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you know whens pads are worn out?

Hey guys,

I have a Griot's that I use the Lake Country 5.5" Flat Pads (blue, white, orange, yellow). I have a new truck so I only ever need to use the white and blue pads. I am just wondering how you guys know when the pads are worn out? How much use do you guys typically get out of pads? I have an F-150 four door so it has A LOT of surface area and probably wears out pads quicker than if I was detailing a little car. Pads aren't exactly cheap so I like to make sure I am using them up before I throw them out.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you know whens pads are worn out?

The more often you rotate them out during a paint correction the less heat build up and the better the results. This also extends the longevity of the pads. Heat kills pads.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

I would think they should last you a while if you do as said above. Keep them clean, rotate, and do not over saturate with product which will contribute to heat build up.

Try to stay away from raised letters and badges with sharp edges as they can take chunks of foam off. It won't effect their performance though.

Post Thanks / Like

Do foam pads ever really "wear out"?

I know they can become damaged, cooked, shredded, de-laminated, contaminated, etc...

But do they wear out?

IMHO, to a significant degree - No.

If the Velcro is good, and the pad is clean and true (no chunks missing) it should work fine.

Maybe not as good as day 1. But a significant difference? I doubt it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys!

Post Thanks / Like

For me, it's when the velcro doesn't stick, and/or the center caves in.

Post Thanks / Like

How do you know whens pads are worn out?

I watched 1 of Gary Deans vids and he said something about how he gets about 6 good uses out of a pad before he chucks it... At the same time he raves about how Buff & Shine pads are the only ones he uses because in his experience they are the most durable, longest lasting pads compared to all the others... That doesn't make any sense to me though.. It could just be that he is extra picky for his own reasons about pads, but if that's not the case and those pads show noticable degradation after just 6 uses, then they sure must suck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I watched 1 of Gary Deans vids and he said something about how he gets about 6 good uses out of a pad before he chucks it... At the same time he raves about how Buff & Shine pads are the only ones he uses because in his experience they are the most durable, longest lasting pads compared to all the others... That doesn't make any sense to me though.. It could just be that he is extra picky for his own reasons about pads, but if that's not the case and those pads show noticable degradation after just 6 uses, then they sure must suck.
    he states that he uses 1 pad for the entire car. Once its caked with product, he'll stop to clean it and then continue on with the car. He said in one of his videos that he can do an entire 4 door sedan washing the same pad 3 times. So he gets 6 total cars out of a single pad. That's pretty good if you ask me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wn1998 View Post
    he states that he uses 1 pad for the entire car. Once its caked with product, he'll stop to clean it and then continue on with the car. He said in one of his videos that he can do an entire 4 door sedan washing the same pad 3 times. So he gets 6 total cars out of a single pad. That's pretty good if you ask me.
    Oh ok... I didn't know all that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wn1998 View Post
    I personally don't agree with that method. Once the pad is loaded up, like these I used on a 4 door Chevy truck, you can only get so much out of the pad. The pad becomes less effective and your basically scrubbing your paint with junk and gunk. The cleanliness and freshness of the pad has everything to do with the effectiveness of the pad and product. I get a lot more than 6 uses out of my buff and shine and or LC pads. But too each there own.

Look at the junk built up on this pad, and it was cleaned on the fly. Would you really want to be rubbing that stuff all over your clear coat?

2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast