autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pad life

Post Thanks / Like

Pad life

I have a 6" red lake country smart pad that the Velcro let go of the foam. I have only done 4 cars with it,only applied HD Poxy & never been past 2 on my flex. Foam is in perfect shape,would have though the glue would last longer. Anyone else seen this happen so quickly?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pad life

Do you wash them after poxy if not then maybe deteriorating.I wash my pads after every use sick of buying stuff all the time.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Never had an LC Red but have had LC Flat pads delaminate or the velcro lose grip, am wary now about them and replacing with BnS pads to be safe.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had the velcro fall off with B&S Pad in short order. I have had the foam on a Lake Country Pad start disintegrating when I was polishing. The Lake Country Pads IMO last quite a long time. The B&S Pad lasted 2 polishings. All that being said about pads whether they be from Lake Country, B&S, Megs, Rupes, etc will eventually wear out from use. I also think that some will last longer than others but ALL will eventually fail or need to be replaced.

That is why I have a bunch of all colors. I prefer the Lake Country Pads (any of them) as I have had the best experience with them. Others may have a difference of opinion.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

That's not typical, especially for a wax/sealant pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Whitewater25 View Post
    I have a 6" red lake country smart pad that the Velcro let go of the foam. I have only done 4 cars with it,only applied HD Poxy & never been past 2 on my flex. Foam is in perfect shape,would have though the glue would last longer. Anyone else seen this happen so quickly?
    I should have clarified this post so I will now. The Red pad having the velcro or Backing fall off is very unusual. It could have been an anomaly. I have had a pad just fall apart when I was using it and it was brand new. I was a little frustrated, however, I realized it could have been a manufacturing defect. Very rare, however, do happen. So based on what you are saying is YES that is very unusual.

One of the main reasons why I have quite a few pads for tackling any detailing job.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

I do clean my pads after each use. Scott from Lake Country reached out to me & I will send him pics of the pad. This pad looks brand new except for the Velcro missing. I do wonder if some of the products do cause the adhesive to break down & let go eventually. Just would not think so quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

I've read somewhere if you wash pads with hot water it may compromise the adhesive

Post Thanks / Like

When u lay the pad down to dry do u have the Velcro up or down?....I've read that if u face the Velcro down that the little bit of water that's left in the pad could seep down to the Velcro and prematurely break down the glue....I always dry my pads with the face down, Velcro up
    2010 Candy White Volkswagen CC - 170k and counting DD
    2006 DSOM C6 z06 - 22k miles

Post Thanks / Like

I do pad face side up. I usually wrap pads In a towel and step on it to get most water out,then put under fan to help speed drying. I use cold or lukewarm water to wash pads
    Last edited by Whitewater25; 05-04-2016 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Forgot something

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast