autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant

I am anxiously waiting on my order of Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant to arrive but I have one minor problem that I should have addressed before I even placed the order.

What would be the best way and/or product to clean the area prior to application of the sealant?

I checked the description on AG, on the product website, and I've searched these forums and all I can find is to clean it and make sure it is dry. I also have some Meg APC that's supposed to be here Tuesday and was going to just use that unless I can find something else. I bought the bottle for the cowl seal that is notorious for rotting. Mine did and I have my two replacement panels waiting for the Wolfgang to arrive so I can apply it before install. I want to make sure it's done right the first time.

EDIT: I will probably also experiment on the rest of the plastics too. It's a 2004 Escape that has been neglected for way too long. The leather seats were almost brown before I started cleaning them (they're grey. lol)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant

I use Meg's apc to clean trim all the time. It should work fine for your purposes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RDKC View Post
    I am anxiously waiting on my order of Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant to arrive but I have one minor problem that I should have addressed before I even placed the order.

What would be the best way and/or product to clean the area prior to application of the sealant?

I checked the description on AG, on the product website, and I've searched these forums and all I can find is to clean it and make sure it is dry. I also have some Meg APC that's supposed to be here Tuesday and was going to just use that unless I can find something else. I bought the bottle for the cowl seal that is notorious for rotting. Mine did and I have my two replacement panels waiting for the Wolfgang to arrive so I can apply it before install. I want to make sure it's done right the first time.

EDIT: I will probably also experiment on the rest of the plastics too. It's a 2004 Escape that has been neglected for way too long. The leather seats were almost brown before I started cleaning them (they're grey. lol)
    I use OPC first (any quality all purpose cleaner). I wipe down with a micro fiber after a car wash and then wipe down with distilled water to remove any cleaner left over. Let dry and apply the sealant as directed. For more textured plastic I gently scrub with a brush and apc to get all the dirt out . Sometimes a micro fiber won't get to it all. I have a set of mud flaps with heavy texture that I have to use a brush on to clean. For most of it though a micro fiber will do the job. You will love wgts! Good luck
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

Mothers Back to Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner, best car wax remover plastic trim
    You may be able to find this OTC. Walmart/autozone/advanced auto.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pro 4x View Post
    Mothers Back to Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner, best car wax remover plastic trim
    You may be able to find this OTC. Walmart/autozone/advanced auto.
    Agree. I know Advance sells it. For textured trim, you need to use the brush to get better results.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. I think I'll swing by the store sometime and pick up a bottle of the Mother's, still have a couple of days until the Wolfgang arrives.

Post Thanks / Like

Getting the trim as clean as possible is key for the trim sealant to bond

Detailing- my stress reliever

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
    Getting the trim as clean as possible is key for the trim sealant to bond

That's what I'm aiming for. However, I know that some cleaners leave a residue that can affect product adhesion (at least for adhesives) and am trying to find the best way to prevent that.

Post Thanks / Like

I figured that I would follow up with some pictures but, I'm definitely not a photographer. Plus, lighting was horrid and you can't see much.

Let's just say that there was a slight difference after cleaning with the Mother's and a major difference after the Wolfgang was applied. I was shocked at two points of this.

1. That all of this came off one brand spanking new panel. I pulled it out of the box, out of the plastic bag, and cleaned it.
    [IMG][/IMG]

2. That the Wolfgang made any cosmetic difference at all on a brand new panel. Once it fully dries I may try a picture and see if I can get one to come out.

Post Thanks / Like

Would we get better results applying first a product like:
    Solution Finish Black Plastic & Vinyl Restorer, black plastic restorer, trim restorer

Then the WETS right?

Also, can a wax or another protector (like Car Reaload) be on top of this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast