autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Uber vs Swirl Remover

I think the issue had to do with downward pressure. I'm a large guy, 6'7" 290lbs and may have been using to much. Hard to judge 20lbs of pressure

Either way the 5.5" pads seem to spin much easier.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to give a huge thumbs up to Uber... tried working on my car two weekends ago and could not completely get some sanding marks (3000 grit) out of my finish with the Swirl Remover. Tried the Uber and good as new.

Post Thanks / Like

I had some great success using WG Uber this weekend. I bought an old rear spoiler from ebay and it came looking rough. I paired Uber with a Megs MF cutting disc on my PC XP after cleaning it up with APC and claying it.

I was amazed at how clean it finished. I used Finishing Glaze w/ a foam polishing pad to see if I could get some more gloss. Turned out better than I expected.

For some of the deeper scratches I used a small purple wool pad by hand and the majority came out.

"The shortest and surest way to live with honor in the world is to be in reality what we would appear to be." --- Socrates

Post Thanks / Like

Do I need to follow with the swirl remover after using the uber compound?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanfreak3 View Post
    Do I need to follow with the swirl remover after using the uber compound?
    It depends on your application. It's surprising how well it finishes out. You can test it out by doing a section with just the Uber Compound, and right next to it a section with the polish. Pull it out into the sun or shine a bright light on it to see if there's a discernible difference. Then you will know if it's worth the extra step.
    "The shortest and surest way to live with honor in the world is to be in reality what we would appear to be." --- Socrates

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a 09' black silverado and I can see that the previous owner took it to the car wash and used the brush that they provide or used a hard thistle brush instead of a wash mitt. Their is marring, hazing, and fine scratches. I applied Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion by hand with a light cutting applicator and then I applied Pinnacle Souveran Wax. The truck shines but in the direct sunlight it looks absolutely horrible. I'm worried about using a buffer on my truck though, if I do, will these defects appear again? Also, what product line would you recommend to cure this?

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a 09' black silverado and I can see that the previous owner took it to the car wash and used the brush that they provide or used a hard thistle brush instead of a wash mitt. Their is marring, hazing, and fine scratches. I applied Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion by hand with a light cutting applicator and then I applied Pinnacle Souveran Wax. The truck shines but in the direct sunlight it looks absolutely horrible. I'm worried about using a buffer on my truck though, if I do, will these defects appear again? Also, what product line would you recommend to cure this?
    When you say "buffer", are you referring to using a Rotary Polisher, or a DA (dual action) Polisher?

If the latter, and with any of the Wolfgang polishing products and the correct pads to go with there's very little worry about damage to the paint.

Polishes such as WG Uber, Total Swirl Remover, and Finishing Glaze will permanently remove marring-hazing, and fine scratches.

These 3 products I mention above, I used/use, and as many others will say, they are all very outstandng, top flight world class polishes.

How "you" take care of the vehicle after such paint correction and the degree, and length of time when they re-appear will depend upon your abilities, and use of products and techniques afterwords.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    When you say "buffer", are you referring to using a Rotary Polisher, or a DA (dual action) Polisher?

If the latter, and with any of the Wolfgang polishing products and the correct pads to go with there's very little worry about damage to the paint.

Polishes such as WG Uber, Total Swirl Remover, and Finishing Glaze will permanently remove marring-hazing, and fine scratches.

These 3 products I mention above, I used/use, and as many others will say, they are all very outstandng, top flight world class polishes.

How "you" take care of the vehicle after such paint correction and the degree, and length of time when they re-appear will depend upon your abilities, and use of products and techniques afterwords.
    Mark
    Thanks for the post Mark,
    Currently I do not have a polisher but I do have access to my friends Cyclo Orbital Polisher but I'm not sure if this would be a good choice for me as a beginner. I'm wondering if I should purchase the Dual Action Polisher just to be safe. Do you think I will need to use all three steps of Wolfgang to achieve the best results?

Post Thanks / Like

After the above steps, you will want to apply Wolfgang sealant 3 and a coat or two of Pinnacle Souveran wax..... NEW CAR!!!!!
    Last edited by JMP; 11-04-2014 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Mistake

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the post Mark,
    Currently I do not have a polisher but I do have access to my friends Cyclo Orbital Polisher but I'm not sure if this would be a good choice for me as a beginner. I'm wondering if I should purchase the Dual Action Polisher just to be safe. Do you think I will need to use all three steps of Wolfgang to achieve the best results?
    As AC in OC said earlier, WG Uber Compound might be all you need? From my experiences with Uber Compound on both my vehicles, I've found it to be a bit better than WG Total Swirl Remover for eliminating some deeper sleeks, which folks here might refer to as light "RIDS" (Random Isolated Deeper Scratches)

But Uber finishes down just beautifully on it's own, ready for sealant-wax-coatings. Truly a great benchmark product they made when they brought this product to market. Now on a Black vehicle, this might be a slight game changer, meaning on black you see everything. While I strongly doubt you would see any polishing hazing left with Uber (provided proper technique and pads were used), there is a very slight-small chance with Black. Tough to say? Usually the Chevys have fairly hard paint finishes, and that's a plus.

I never used the Cyclo machine, IMO looks a bit awkward and unwieldy to me, but many use these machines, and with proper use, and pad selection they can probably correct a finish just as good as any other DA Type Machine.

I would say if you like detailing, perhaps anticipate a need of future useage of such a machine, a possible chance of also doing other's vehicles such as family members, friends, etc, then yes, it might be wise in the long run to just purchase a machine to have on hand to use.

Two of the better liked reasonably priced machines here are the Porter Cable 7424XP (which I have) and the Griots GG6. Both are good buys for the less money invested, and are good all around machines for the hobbyist. Team either with two Urethane Backing Plates, such as a 5", and a 3" or 3.5", and you'll have a versatile setup for getting at basically any area of a vehicle.

Perhaps a few LC Orange and white Pads in both 5.5" and 4" and you're basically set.

8oz of WG Uber Compound, and 8oz of WG TSR will be more than enough to do a full size pickup. They are a bit cheaper in larger quantities such as pints. Shelf life is almost indefinite provided they are stored in the proper place.
    Mark

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast