autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WG 3.0 durability??

Quote Originally Posted by Da Fats View Post
    The Guys at poor boys actually recommend sealing.... then black hole... then caruba... just wondering how long to wait between each step
    Sealant =- wait 24 hrs to cure, then you can throw on the black hole and wax right after

or

seal
    24 hrs
    black hole then seal again
    24 hrs
    wax

Post Thanks / Like

DGPS has a beautiful look to it. Deep reflections, excellent shine, and it hides swirls and scratches nicely.

I question the durability of it though. It makes for a great spring/summer/fall base coat setup here in NJ but it hasn't proven to be durable over extended periods of time in harsh conditions.

I think that waxes are having a tough time standing up to my pressure washer.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

It kinda of sucks for doing a costumers car... You cannever offer the best protection unless you keep the car over night. Guess I'd just do a coat or two of collinite insulator or 915?... Wonder how long they will last over the PB Glazes. In the case of peopel not wanting to pay for correction I offer the glazes

Post Thanks / Like

Just my opinion, but it seems to me that if one wants to achieve maximum longevity, then it is best to avoid all glazes and carnaubas, excepting the Collinites, of course. Go with two or three coats of one's preferred sealant or Collinite and pray that it gets you through the winter months. Using a glaze or carnauba topper only compromises durability--or at least it diminishes the durability that you might enjoy if you were to use the primary protectant exclusively.

We all know the protectants known for their durability: Collinite (845, 476s, 915), Duragloss 105, Finish Kare 1000p, Zaino, Klasse AIO/HGSG. Why not stick with these products and wait until April to use a beauty protectant?

Post Thanks / Like

Just looking to add a little WOW factor to the detail of a daily driver. If an acrylic glaze like PB's caused a drastic reduction in durability then the trade off is not worth it if preping a car for winter. I was just throwing the question out there as I hear chatter on both sides of the coin for this one. Some say the difference is not huge some say it would be.

I understand multiple layers of a Durable sealant is better then one layer of sealant + wax. But what about Collinite x2, Wouldn't that avoid the 12 - 24 hour wait between coats?

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I have used both PB Black hole and DWG under numerous sealants and found no real degradation of protection durability.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Da Fats View Post
    I understand multiple layers of a Durable sealant is better then one layer of sealant + wax. But what about Collinite x2, Wouldn't that avoid the 12 - 24 hour wait between coats?
    Chris, I wrote Collinite and asked them how long to wait between coats. They told me 30 minutes. Others have asked Collinite this question and have received the recommendation to wait an hour. I still prefer to allow the car to sit overnight and to apply the second coat the next morning; but if time does not allow this luxury, I would wait 30-60 minutes. Sometimes all one can do is the best one can do. Even with minimal cure time, getting a 2nd coat of wax on the paint to achieve uniform coverage is much better than not getting the 2nd coat on at all, so it seems to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m4bama View Post
    On their site they say it is but could be wrong.

Anyway WGDP 3.0 looks to be a great product expensive yes but very good.

1. Does this sealant have slight filling properties notice I said slight.
    2. On good paint can I achieve pretty good results with this by hand if prepped with the pe-wax cleaner.

regards Richard
    It is more expensive up front, but I'm not so sure in the long run. I have both and I can spread a little of WGDP a lot farther than I can spread a little of the other sealant.

Both look absolutely fantastic and have the WOW factor. I can't speak to the durability as I rotate waxes and sealants every 4 or 5 weeks.

Mike
    Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway
    George Carlin

Post Thanks / Like

What do you guys think of the WG paint cleaner, good to use before the sealant? Improves the durability. Looking for a sealant to last me 3-4months when topped with a nuba.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by akimel View Post
    Chris, I wrote Collinite and asked them how long to wait between coats. They told me 30 minutes. Others have asked Collinite this question and have received the recommendation to wait an hour. I still prefer to allow the car to sit overnight and to apply the second coat the next morning; but if time does not allow this luxury, I would wait 30-60 minutes. Sometimes all one can do is the best one can do. Even with minimal cure time, getting a 2nd coat of wax on the paint to achieve uniform coverage is much better than not getting the 2nd coat on at all, so it seems to me.
    This is what I'm doing for winter.

The finish I applied a few months ago is still brilliant and slick. Yesterday I applied a layer of Collinite wax. The results were amazing! I'll apply one more layer today, 24 hours later. That will be my winter coat.

I'm also using the Collinite Wax on the wheels.
    Last edited by Blackfire; 10-28-2009 at 08:34 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast