autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Have a question about the Deep Gloss Paint Sealant V3.0 & Grit Guard pad washer

HI gang,
    Like my title says. Last weekend I detailed one of my cars and finished it with this sealant. For polish I used Sonax Profiline Perfect Shine and finished with the Wolf's Deep Gloss Sealant.
    First let me say that if anyone has NOT been lucky enough to snag a Grit Guard Pad Washing Bucket....DO IT ASAP ! ! ! ! ! Because it's an awesome piece of kit for any of us AutoGeeks that have a machine polisher...pads....and well...are lazy...like me Does a fantastic job at cleaning pads quickly, safely, but most of all....IMPECCABLY ! ! But.....there is a but...

Now here's the problem;
    The pad washer did a great job at cleaning the polish from the orange pads....but when I moved on to the red pad I used for the paint sealant, the leftover sealant inside the pad did not come out. Like, the stuff on the outside fibers came off, but the stuff that soaked into the inner portions of the pad...that did NOT come out. And when I ran my hands on the outside of the pad, it still felt greasy (product was still on the pad)

I not only used a product for the water inside the bucket (called Snappy Clean), but I also used the pad cleaner spray that comes with the bucket too, as a prewash before it went into the bucket. I used it as instructed on the lid. It was very easy to understand, and to do. But the Wolf's Sealant just did not want to fully come out. Contrary to the pads I used with the polish, which came out squeaky clean. Most of the Sealant that was on the outer portions of the foam pores came out. In fact, when I spun dry it on high, it was thrown around the underside of the lid, as would residual water does when you spin dry the pad...so it did it's job perfectly...but the sealant?...no

• I will mention, that the water was showing use by the end of the day. But I had only washed my orange pad....maybe 10 times at most? So I find it hard to believe it was a case of exhausted water. But I could be wrong.
    • Before anyone mentions the obvious, YES, the next day I went at the red pad again, but with fresh water, AND a new packet of Snappy Clean, AND pre-spraying the pad with the supplied pad cleaning solution as well....Didn't work. It still felt greasy afterwards. And the next day when the pad was almost dry, I squeezed the pad and residual sealant came out from the center.
    • I even tried moving the domed center to the outside and washed it there as well....nadda.
    • I tried leaving it spin for a longer time....zippo
    • I will also point out here, that I am not in any way slamming Wolf's Sealant product. No sir ! ! In fact, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the stuff. It's the only sealant I care to use.. . . . PIRIOD!!!

So can anyone on this forum who has a grit guard pad washer, who has used the pad washer with other products and also has used it with the Wolf's Deep Gloss Paint Sealant V3 has ever had this happen to them before. And if so, can anyone recommend a top drawer cleaning product that works with all waxes, polishes, and Wolf's Sealant too

I really hope some of the gurus, or even Mike Phillips himself if he sees this, can help me with this, as I don't have enough experience with different cleaners or that stuff to be able to troubleshoot this effectively.

Ok fellow AutoGeeks....over to you guys ! ! Any help/advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Have a question about the Deep Gloss Paint Sealant V3.0 & Grit Guard pad washer

Pads that I use for sealants and even microfiber pads I do not clean with my Grit Guard Pad Cleaning bucket system. I spray those pads with a cleaner and while holding them under warm running water I work the product out with my hands. When I feel they are as clean as I can get them I will put them on my DA and spin them to get the excess water out and then lay them face down on a towel to dry out. As far as pad cleaning products, I use Snappy Clean in my Grit Guard wash bucket and GG Microfiber and Foam Pad Cleaner directly on the pads I'm cleaning (with the bucket and by hand).
    2018 Ford F150 - Ruby Red Metallic
    2019 Honda Odyssey - Obsidian Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Have a question about the Deep Gloss Paint Sealant V3.0 & Grit Guard pad washer

Ok thanks Lane, I appreciate the answer. I guess that's what I'll have to do with my mine. But what is GG microfiber and foam pad cleaner? What's the "GG" stand for? I'm not up on AG lingo

I may not be able to get that stuff up here in Ontario Canada. Unfortunately for me because of where I am, buying ANYTHING from the states only results in me being financially "raped" in the form of import taxes, duty levies, currency transaction fees, courier delivery fees...yadda yadda yadda.

So that essentially only leaves me with 2 good sources up here that I can draw on the get quality cleaning supplies where I am;
    E-shine, and Autoobsessed. Could you or anyone give me the full name of this product, or suggest another quality alternative to clean auto paint sealant?

Thanks again Lane for the fast reply.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Dawn,tide,super clean degreaser.....DGPS is some good stuff and a real bear to get out of pads.
    Use hot water, a combination of those and knead away. It takes a minute but that will clean them fairly decent.

Post Thanks / Like

GG = Griots Garage. There are a lot of good pad cleaning solutions out there but I use GG most of the time.
    2018 Ford F150 - Ruby Red Metallic
    2019 Honda Odyssey - Obsidian Blue

Post Thanks / Like

I don't own a pad cleaner, but I do clean my pads.

My process:
    When I intend to use any pads I prepare a buck of APC and water (random ratio, just poor till it looks good).
    As I use the pads I put them in this bucket to soak until I can get around to cleaning them (sometimes for days).
    I wash them in the sink using a variety of products depending on what works best (I use IPA, Degreaser, Dawn, Microfiber Soap, and Mineral Sprits).
    Then I spin them dry and let them sit for about 1 week on a grit guard before putting them back in plastic bags (the moisture gets trapped deep inside, the longer they dry the better)

I find IPA is cheap and works darn well for getting pads clean. I pour it on the pad neat (undiluted) and work from the middle out squeezing out the LSP and IAP (it should look milky at first and I keep going until clear).

As the pros have advised I now have dedicated applicator pads for specific LSP so I don't spend as much time cleaning the pads out as I once did.

Note: I don't normally apply LSP by machine as I find it to be more work and consume more time (I have only for Klasse AIO and Collinite 845)

Post Thanks / Like

How I clean WGDGPS from pads:

Wipe off pad with a terry cloth towel.
    Put pad back in plastic bag it came in.

Done.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never really been a fan of citrus cleaners because I thought they didn't clean as well as the heavy duty purple variety.

In the the last couple weeks I read through some old posts and decided to give the Zep orange a try.

After correcting My buds black 328xi last weekend the sealant used was WGDGPS sealant.
    I used my black Hybrid pad and decided to let it soak over night in the utility sink with a heavier Zep orange solution.
    The next day I squeezed the pad with a couple of paper towel mitts and Oh-boy, Voila!. I must say I think it worked really well

Post Thanks / Like

Full strength?
    Mike Honcho

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riff View Post
    How I clean WGDGPS from pads:

Wipe off pad with a terry cloth towel.
    Put pad back in plastic bag it came in.

Done.
    We used to do the same with sealant application pads. Ideally, everything is clean on the car before you apply a sealant, so it shouldn't get all that dirty. My buddy had us putting it in a zip lock for product conservation, so it's primed and ready to go when we used it the next time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast