autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rinse less wash....just feels wrong

Good discussion and points here guys. I'm sure a lot of the traditional washing has a lots to do with comfortable habits and people actually enjoying spending time washing and cleaning a car and don't care about time. I use to be that way, but life has changed for me and I need something quicker often.

I tbink pre rinsing does remove some dirt, but how much to make a difference?? I'm betting not much, but enough that I wouldn't want to drink the water runoff lol. I guess it's to mainly wet the panel so the dirt isn't dry and drag on he paint. Reason I ordered a pump sprayer to eliminate that scenario.

I will for sure keep trying the rinseless when I feel it's appropriate for me and see how it goes.

If this is the toughest thing in my life, I'm living a great life :-)

Thanks for all the opinions guys.
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldschool1975 View Post

I tbink pre rinsing does remove some dirt, but how much to make a difference?? I'm betting not much
    I disagree. 1 easy indicator is the level of dirty that rinseless towels usually get with just 1 swipe down the middle of the hood.
    Compare that to the level of dirty your wash mitt gets across that same area during a normL bucket wash and there's no comparison. If there was, you'd never go back & forth with your wash mitt. The pre rinse makes a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by yg1829 View Post
    I definitely believe it's safer than a tradional wash and if my vehicle is a little to dirty it gets a pressure rinse first.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    If you truly felt rinseless wash is safer than traditional wash, you'd never feel the need to pressure rinse 1st.
    Just sayin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I disagree. 1 easy indicator is the level of dirty that rinseless towels usually get with just 1 swipe down the middle of the hood.
    Compare that to the level of dirty your wash mitt gets across that same area during a normL bucket wash and there's no comparison. If there was, you'd never go back & forth with your wash mitt. The pre rinse makes a huge difference.

If you truly felt rinseless wash is safer than traditional wash, you'd never feel the need to pressure rinse 1st.
    Just sayin.
    If a vehicle is really dirty it's needs a pressure rinse or at least a hose rinse no matter how you are washing it.

I'm not try to say a rinseless wash is the almighty be all end all way to wash your vehicle I just feel it offers more lubricity that foamy soap.

Post Thanks / Like

If a vehicle is really dirty it's needs a pressure rinse or at least a hose rinse no matter how you are washing it.

Maybe it's just me but I thought it was "Rinse less" washing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Maybe it's just me but I thought it was "Rinse less" washing?
    Lol!! Getting pretty technical aren't you?

A definition from detailed image....

Rinseless Shampoo:
    A type of shampoo that is typically low sudsing and high in polymers to provide lubricity without the need to flush away excess residue with water.

To me that means I don't have to flush away the suds before I dry.

Look I do what makes me comfortable and doesn't cause marring and im sure you do the same. I was just trying to give the OP my opinion and let him know what works for me.

I also encouraged him to do what makes him comfortable and I didn't bash the traditional two bucket soap wash.

Post Thanks / Like

if a vehicle is really dirty it's needs a pressure rinse or at least a hose rinse no matter how you are washing it.

absolutely!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    IMO, go to the one bucket method, use tons of nice towels, never let a dirty one touch your paint. Do a nice pre soak with a good waterless or rinseless and you'll be golden from now on. Been doing this for years, no issues. Look up Gary Dean method, or GD method, whatever is easier to search.
    Not much to add here but I've used the 2BM method with the Aqua sponge without an issue but now I've acquired about a dozen, edgeless, plush MF towels and have been doing the GD method for quite some time now. I only use the 2BM method when I'm out of towels, LOL but it still works though. When the rinse bucket gets dirty, change out that water ASAP!
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Some wash with a soaking wet wash mitt that drips all over the garage floor. I have found if you lightly pre soak the panel and then wring the wash mitt out to where it does not drip (but still damp) , it actually glides across the panel better and there is no water on the garage floor after the wash

Post Thanks / Like

I also do not prefer the 10 towel method. Rinseless Washes are all about saving time and saving water. If you have to wash 10 towels after every wash, you might as well pull out the hose, plus it would be faster

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldschool1975 View Post
    Hi guys. I decided to try my uber rinseless wash tonight on my granite Charger. It hadn't been washed in 2 weeks and wasn't driven during any rain. But it was sprinkled on here and there throughout this week.

It appeared to do really well, but then again the color has flake in it and hides all kinds of stuff. No way I would try it on my wife's super sensitive black Audi.
    No worries on the Audi front. Ask me how I know Click on my signature photo for more proof.

My technique:

Overall, I use about 2-3 gals of solution in total. I use The key thing about a no-rinse is the solution is extra slick and really does encapsulate the dirt. You can really feel the lubricity when washing or if you were to dry an clean portion of the car with a microfiber towel. I also use a de-ionized / distilled water which really helps reduce any streaks and/spots. Solution wise, I’ve fallen in love with Wolfgang Uber Rinseless. It’s far better than ONR in my opinion and is well worth trying if you’ve not done so.

1. Fill a garden or powered Sprayer of your choice with No Rinse Solution
    2. Fill a 3 gal bucket with about 1 gal. of No Rinse Solution
    3. Insure I have a stack of 16" x 16" Eagle Edgeless Professional Super Plush 480gsm Microfiber Detailing Towels.

On my 4 door sedan the large plush towels go quite far. I use anywhere between 4-8 for the entire car depending on how dirty it is. Key is to fold them into four then make one more fold so that you can get a total of 16 completely clean/fresh passes out of a single towel. These hold lots of solution and are VERY Plush.

Both hose/buck and No-Rinse involve a pre-rinse and soak. In the case of a no-rinse system I use a garden sprayer to pre-soak the car with a fine to medium spray pattern being sure to cover every bit of dirt/panel. If you have the room in a garage and don’t mind a mist, you can even use a gravity fed system to feed an electric pressure sprayer and do the same thing. I pre-soak then wash in 5 stages; essentially the same as I do with a hose/bucket in the summer.

1. Wheels – Prevents splashing of nasty dirt up on a clean car
    2. Front clip/nose and trunk/tail next as rinsing them tends to splash the hood/trunk
    3. Hood-roof-trunk, windows. I do windows last in this case since they don’t scratch.
    4. Side 1; one panel at a time top to bottom
    5. Side 2; same

On the sides of the vehicle I tend to do all the top surfaces first then the bottoms being sure to put the lower portion dirty rags in the to-clean bucket quickly.

Steps.

1. Pre-soak, waiting a few minutes for the dirt to be encapsulated, oils and dirt to be broken up and solution to really work.
    2. Quick spray down once more just prior to washing the panel to wash away as much as I can and to get the dirt to flow DOWN/OFF the car. Spray top to bottom
    2. Wipe from top down using only a single pass per clean side or section of a towel. Each towel can be folded to a clean section allowing 16 passes per towel. More than enough for the entire panel or section. Keep the rage sopping wet and splash more solution on the rage if needed.
    3. Last thing after each panel is washed is I give it another quick spray down top to bottom in order to push/wash away as much debris as I can. My powered sprayer is awesome for this as when combined with a good fan style spray tip it really works well at rinsing off any remaining aftermath.

I personally do not dry the panels one at a time as I go. Many do, but I don’t. Since I use distilled water, the clean panels blot dry easily and don’t tend to leave any drips or spots but if they do, a final wipe off with a clean dry MF Towel is all that’s needed.

Drying is the key IMO to keeping a car scratch/swirl free. IMO it causes more damage than a poor wash technique as when washing at least there’s more lubricity involved. When I do use a towel, I use a waffle weave towel and I NEVER drag it across the paint. I lay it out and blot it with pressure from my arm, pick up and move it and repeat. ANY wiping is only done with a clean, damp mf and No-rinse treated towel.

Once done I am a huge believer in a high quality detail spray and sealant. Both not only give the car a final spotless and flawless look but help insure future dirt has a layer of something there to help when pre-soaking the next wash cycle.

In the end, I only use about 4-5 MF Rags to clean a single vehicle wheels and all.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast