autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using Extreme, Super, Heavy cut compounds for Headlighs?

Be careful with the Ceriglass--It needs to be used wet and will sling everywhere! I think so much time will be spent protecting surrounding areas from the sling that it will be a net negative. It's incredibly useful for windshields, but so many easier ways exist for headlights!

A super heavy compound I've had luck with on headlights is Shurhold's Buff Magic. I still prefer sanding first, though. I'll usually sand to 2000 (foam finishing) before taking out the Buff Magic.
    Brandon--Custom Cleaning Concepts, LLC
    If you want your ride as clean as can be, you need to call CCC!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Brandon.

Yeah, I've seen some videos and threads on glass polishing and that is one of my concerns. Don't want to sling it everywhere and risk marring the paint if I do not cover it up some how. Will try on my own test subjects first to see what happens.

If it Ceriglass doesn't work for this, I'll just save it for it's intended propose. All of my vehicles are over 10 years old and am sure my work trucks could use it.

Still want those rylon pads. I have no interest in polishing glass by hand unless I somehow put on an extra 20lbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Did some testing before the trip to grandmas.

Believe it or not, Optimum compound II removed 500 grit sanding marks without to much work and lots of pressure. Ceriglass did the same, maybe slightly quicker, but left more tracers/swirls. Did not have any real issues with it slinging either, used it as is with no added water.

Don't think it got above 30 degrees today. Pad looked like it was steaming because it was so cold, but pad and light did not get hot, just warm.

Used both with LC purple foamed wool pad. Compounding only, no polishing.

Might put up some pics later of the cracked up 4Runner lights I "enhanced", not corrected.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely no disrespect intended, and I'm all for experimenting and learning new things, but that seems to have been a lot of time and even some money invested in going after results that are already easily attainable using proven methods and very little cash.

A 3M Headlamp kit plus a sheet each of 2000 and 3000 and a sanding block would have set you back about $25 and done every one of those lenses properly the first time. A shaker can of 2K urethane clear is about $15 and will coat at least a dozen pairs, or you can even try the incredibly inexpensive Sparathane method if these are your personal vehicles and you don't mind learning to sand the lenses again in 18-24 months. Lastly you can invest in a bottle of dedicated headlamp lens clear coat that costs about $2 a lens. If you plan on doing more sets of lenses, the small outlay for 3-inch sanding discs will pay off in time and effort saved. The cost per lens for 2000 is about 35¢ and 3000 is about a dollar a lens.
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

No offense taken at all Francesco and I do appreciate the criticism. Guess it may seem as me trying to reinvent the the wheel. Just kinda a journal of my exploration in technique and trials. Maybe it will help someone else on their journey.

This is done partially for my own enjoyment in my spare time with products that I can hopefully use elsewhere if needed.

After I researched restoring headlights quite a bit because of a bad looking used headlight I bought. I did decide to use the 3M and two packs of assorted grit paper. After finishing mine, I started considering doing this as a side job and looking for quicker ways to get the same results before going any further.

Just seemed quite time consuming going through all the grits from 320 up 3000 and a bit unnecessary after more research.

To me, why not stop sanding at a much earlier point, ditch the fancy disks, and go to a compound if you can still get good results. Instead of repeated sanding and inspecting.

I do understand the more disks you buy the less they are. But, for someone like me, poor and just trying to get started, dropping 2-300 dollars (I assume your talking buying by the 100 to get to that price point) just on disks that I'm not even sure I'll get to use up is not acceptable to me, or my wife.

After my experimentation yesterday, I believe I see no need to buy any sanding disks. Just some wet/dry sheets in lower grits, compound, and polish. 1000 grit will be my limit for purchasing for now. I will continue to test and provide the results here.

I am interested in the durability of the 2k clears, but not having the proper spray equipment and the canned versions may only be used within short time frame per can once used, or you just got throw it out.

I shall continue on my journey, hopefully without blinders on. Anyone, please feel free to comment or call me a wanna be hack. Just provide the reason if you do.

Post Thanks / Like

No, I get it. The fun is in the learning process.

I bought all my Meg's sanding discs here when they were on special combined with one of the frequent sales, up to 1500. I searched elsewhere for P2000 and P3000, and wound up finding 100 foil 2000 discs for $25, and boxes of 15 foam-backed 3M Trizact P3000 discs for $30 a box.

Total time to prep, tape off, machine damp sand, clean up and clear a pair of normal lenses is about an hour to an hour and 15 minutes. I couldn't possibly do it in that time using compounds and polishes.
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good idea using one of the discounts here.

Here is what I've have been wanting to fix or help for awhile. My in-laws 4runner lights. I knew it would be impossible to completely fix, but would have thought I could have corrected more easier.

Untouched

Just Ultimate Comp II just to knock the haze of and see the cracks better

Directly to 330 grit wet/dry. This is after 20-30 minutes sanding and it made me wish I had a lower grit. Didn't seem like I was getting to far to quick, but these were deep.

It was so cool my sanding slurry was freezing on the bumper. Basically ran out of time and daylight. Just ended up compounding out again and left with some sanding marks and swirls. There definitely clearer than before but not finished either.

Here's the money shot. Just kidding. No better lighting pics for now.

Looked at with a flashlight and looked pretty bad. I'll try and get some daylight pics and finish them up and coat soon.

Anyone know if there is a minimum temperature at which you should not apply Opti-Lens? Did not waste on this one, just wondering.

Post Thanks / Like

Should we be treating raw polycarbonate headlights like really soft paint if they are being polished out?

Maybe finished out with a ultra fine polish with a no/low cut pad?

Just started thinking about painting one of my test lights black on the inside to see if it shows sanding, swirls, marring marks better.

Also I must note that upon closer inspection of the compounded light, post #23, that there are still some straight line sanding marks visible. Really only near the edge, center is good, and seems to be only on the sandpaper sanded side/Ceriglass and not really any on the green pad/Compound II side.

Really hard to see these scratches in the lights partly because of the different surfaces and reflective pieces behind the lens. Hence, another reason I want to paint the backside of the lens black.

Post Thanks / Like

Clear coating fills in the sanding scratches.
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

Baked and blacked out

Coating failing on corner I have not touched.

Swirls(knew those were there, compounded only,wool) and horizontal scratches left from sanding in bottom center of pic

This will defiantly help me see more without the "background noise"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast