autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Porter Cable/Trizact Sanding Stripes

I ordered 2 of the the LC-41-005 wool pads. I emailed your tech dept and they confirmed it would work fine with my PC.
    If it won't could you see if my order has shipped? My order number is 1104725.

Thanks,
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

This is where the 3M perfect it system on a rotary shines.

3. Thanks georgefnkl thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by KenRobertson View Post
    I ordered 2 of the the LC-41-005 wool pads. I emailed your tech dept and they confirmed it would work fine with my PC.
    If it won't could you see if my order has shipped? My order number is 1104725.

Thanks,
    Ken

Hi Ken,

I checked after you made the above post and "yes" your order has already shipped.

I just tested the LC-41-005 pad on a Porter Cable and I was able to maintain pad rotation. Just use the 6 speed setting and mark the back of your backing plate to make it easier for your eyes to monitor pad rotation.

Mark Your Backing Plate - Makes it easy to see Pad Rotation

With this combo you should be able to remove your sanding marks but my guess is it won't be as fast as using a rotary buffer.

Post Thanks / Like

i would not use a wool pad on the porter cable, i would use the lake country thin pad, i would use the wool pad on a rotary to remove your sanding marks... the follow up with the porter cable and the foam thin pad with the polish to make that paint really pop !!!! hope this helps and welcome to the AUTOGEEK forum

Post Thanks / Like

or re sand finer with 5000 grit the you might just be able to use the foam pads

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again for all the feedback. I'll have wait on the wool pads and give them a test. In the mean time I've also been looking at the Lake Country 5 1/2 Inch Thin Foamed Wool Pads (LC-58-1255B). The reviews that these are getting with the PC are really good. Anyone know how the cutting of these pads would compare to the Lake Country Grey ThinPro pad?

--Ken

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by KenRobertson View Post

I've also been looking at the Lake Country 5 1/2 Inch Thin Foamed Wool Pads (LC-58-1255B).

The reviews that these are getting with the PC are really good.

Anyone know how the cutting of these pads would compare to the Lake Country Grey ThinPro pad?

--Ken

I think the cut would be close. Fibers are a type of abrasive so the THIN Purple Foamed Wool pads are going to give you good cutting action with a quality compound. The foam used to make the grey thin ThinPro pads is very dense and sharp. We used these pad to remove some etched in water spots on a 1955 Chevy with what I would consider hard paint.

I would give the Purple Foamed Wool pads the edge simply because they're a fiber pad plus as foam becomes wet it softens up and you lose cut. The way around this is to have one pad per panel or more. Then as the pad becomes wet with product set it aside and switch to a fresh, dry pad.

After buffing out cars for years now I can tell you first hand, having lots of pads on hand for any detailing job that's important to you makes the process better in every way.

Here's an article I wrote about having plenty of pads...

How many pads do I need to buff out my car?

Here's the link to the full write-up for the 1955 Chevy

1955 Chevy Bel Air with a $15,000.00 Custom Paint Job - How to remove water spots

Here's the owner and his buddy Jay using the grey ThinPro pads on the 1955 Chevy for the initial cut.

I guess we could say it came out nice...

Post Thanks / Like

magnificent !!!! w o w .......

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Everyone,

I purchased the Lake Country 5 1/2 Inch Thin Foamed Wool Pads (LC-58-1255B) and tried them with the Perfect It #1 compound. I still can't seem to get a consistent shine even after following up with the Perfect It #2 compound and the thin Lake Country black foam pad.

It just seems for my particular paint job the PC just can't generate enough heat to blend in my Trizact 1500/3000/5000 sanding marks that are left behind. There are no scratches left behind only the trail marks left from the PC and the Trizact pads.

Below is a picture, it may be tough to see. To the left of the tape I have just compounded with (#1) and to the right I compounded and polished with (#2). The right has more shine definitely, but both sides still have area's that contain dull stripes.

At this point I'm feeling my only option is to go and get a rotary polisher unless anyone can shed any light on my issues.

Thanks for reading.

--Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Porter Cable/Trizact Sanding Stripes-img_1846-jpg  

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the waiting 30 days for new paint to air or cure out? Factory paint wouldn't need this time right?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast