autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Better results with 3" mf pad vs 6" mf pad

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Since you're trying to clean up wetsanding maybe you should go for the XC disc:

Meguiars DMX5 DA Microfiber Xtra Cut Disc, 5 inches
    Oh! I didn't know these existed. I'm pretty much done buffing (many passes and a tired body). If I ever do this again, I'll keep these in mind for sure. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jvamagic View Post
    I wetsanded my car with 1500/2k/3k and went at it with menz fg400. I started with a MICROFIBER ORANGE CUTTING PAD 5.5" and didn't really like the results (had to go over twice or more). This using a PC 7424xp ( I have a dewalt 849 but don't quite trust myself).

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-DMC3-.../dp/B005JPJNMW

I ordered 3" mf cutting pads for the smaller sections and saw a difference from the 5.5" pads. It cuts so much better/faster. Is it because of leverage etc..or because the Meguiar's pads are that much better? The 3" disc don't have much padding so I assume it builds heat quickly which cuts better??? Just trying to figure this out for future reference.

Meguiar's DMC3 3" DA Microfiber Cutting Disc

Chemical Guys - Black Optics Microfiber Orange Cutting Pad (5.5")

I finish with menz 4000 with a white pad and it comes out pretty nice if I may say so myself. I will post photos when I'm done.
    Not trying to be rude, but if you have the balls to wet sand your car, then you can wrangle that Dewalt.
    If I was in your shoes and had only those 2 machines. I'd buff with a black tuffbuff wool or scholls spider pad and polish with the PC.
    On the Dewalt, concentrate on keeping your pad flat, do your passes on speed 600-800 and you'll be amazed why you didn't grab it sooner!

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the CG microfiber discs and tried the meguires and never looked back! The difference for me was night and day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    Not trying to be rude, but if you have the balls to wet sand your car, then you can wrangle that Dewalt.
    If I was in your shoes and had only those 2 machines. I'd buff with a black tuffbuff wool or scholls spider pad and polish with the PC.
    On the Dewalt, concentrate on keeping your pad flat, do your passes on speed 600-800 and you'll be amazed why you didn't grab it sooner!
    No offense taken. I see your point. I was going to give it a shot with the Dewalt but being that I have been waiting 15 years to get my Mustang back together after being stolen and completely stripped (minus the power train) I didn't want to risk doing some damage.
    If I ever have to wet-sand/buffing, I will give the Dewalt a chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kwwhite1 View Post
    I have used the CG microfiber discs and tried the meguires and never looked back! The difference for me was night and day.
    Did you wet-sand and buff? Which Meg's compound did you use? Maybe the Menz 400 was not the way to go though it's a great product for correcting other defects.

Post Thanks / Like

I am actually restoring a 92 fox body that I completely sanded with 1500, 3000, and 5000. I used meguiars MF correction compound with both pads. The meguiars pads cut through so easily compared to the other MF pads. Also both pads were being used on a Rupes lhr15.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12