autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Which buffer would you buy out of these two and why?

Hi, I want your advice on which detail DA polisher I should buy to use mostly on headlights (I started a business doing mobile headlight restoration).

I have been on this foam and it seems that best bang for the buck is the PC 7424XP is a contender at $130-ish.

The one I see as the "top of the line" detail sized DA is the Italian made Rupes Little Foot at $300.

I will be running 3" discs and pads (along with the occasional 1"/2" pads I bought here).

For the sole purpose of headlights, is the Rupes really $170 better than the PC? I hear it is relatively vibration free, but size/performance why are they very similar? The price is not the main concern for me. I really want value. If the Rupes is really that much better, I'll get it. If it is not worth the difference, I won't. The 7424XP seems pretty well represented here, can anyone speak from personal experience on the Little Foot?

Thank you.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which buffer would you buy out of these two and why?

You're not going to be able to run anything BUT at least 5" pads on the Rupes Duetto. It doesn't have interchangeable backing plates. Well... none do actually.

As for machines like the PC, or GG6, then yes, you can change backing plates, but even then it's a 4", 5" or 6". Don't know where you'd be able to come up with a plate to run a 1" or 2" pad with those machines. Much less how to hold the machine and make that pad work!

As far as bang for the buck... the GG6 wins, hands down. Not hard to find 30% off code for Advance Auto and get a GG6 under a hundred bucks. OTOH, Nick said recently that AG would match that deal.

Post Thanks / Like

I may have messed up the model for the Rupes. This is the one I am talking about...Rupes LHR 75E Mini Random Orbital Polisher, rupes mini polisher

That one says you can run the 3" pads. Is this backing plate removable? I have the Flex 2" and 1" backing plates (With the screw adapter thing for my drill too)

Some of the reviews for the GG seem to say it has such little power that if you look at it wrong, it stops spinning. I'm not putting it on the paint, so I do not need the safety feature of "low power". Regular power is just fine for me.

Thanks for the code. Is that for A.A. Parts, or ???

Post Thanks / Like

The baby Griots does lack power, it basically only has one speed that works for correcting if you baby it, and that's all out on speed 6.
    It might work better with thin MF 3" pads, but it truly is not a "professional machine".

Meaning you start hammering this machine for professional work, you'll be going through a lot of them. I've never used the mini-rupes, but am sure it's a hands down winner.

The PC- and larger Griots GG6 can be downsized to 3" pads, with a 2-7/8" LC backing plate, and while it will work, the machine is sort of large for such an application, you have that largish shroud, and these machines probably aren't optimally balanced for using smaller backing plates and pads.

As some wise would say, when you spend a little more money for something, and you get something that's good and you're happy with, you've only wasted a little of your money.

But buy something cheaper, and it's not working, and you're not happy, then you've wasted "all your money".

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you MarkD51, that is solid advice. I am hoping someone with the mini Rupes can comment.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Rupes Mini, it's a winner and worth the $$. BP's are not interchangeable, it is a dedicated tool.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Why not get the flex kompakt rotary if you're only doing headlights?

FLEX PE8 Kompakt Rotary Polisher, motorcycle polisher

Post Thanks / Like

I agree you will not get favorable results with a da on headlights.maybe to finish them down perhaps.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I missed that Flex.

I thought a DA would be superior for minimizing scratches? No?

I am currently using a corded drill, and it sucks. I won a contest through my school so with the prize money I am buying a replacement for my worn corder drill. Ergonomically, the drill kills my bad wrist anyway.

Please explain the advantage of the rotary vs. da for headlights?

I already have the Flex 1" and 2" backing plates and two different types of Flex foam pads for each.

I need something that can run my 3M velcro backed sanding discs as well. Will the Flex do that? Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Custmsprty-since the Rupes backing plates seem proprietary, are they at least velcro? Can I run my 3M sanding discs (velcro backed 3" sized)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast