autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

wetsanding via FLEX 3401?

Has anyone ever wetsanded using their FLEX 3401 and the foam interface pad and the trizac or unigrit sanding discs? I really didn't wanna fork out almost $200 for a new machine just for a project, if my FLEX will get the job done just the same. Any input appreciated!
    Afterhours Detailing
    Greenville-Spartanburg, SC
    www.facebook.com/afterhoursdetailing

Mike Phillips

Re: wetsanding via FLEX 3401?

Here you go... pictures and recommendations...

Can the Flex 3401 be used to wetsand?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks mike!
    Afterhours Detailing

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by The Enforcer View Post

Thanks mike!

No problemo...

Post Thanks / Like

While i NEVER, EVER doubt Mike P's advice, the thought of "forced rotation" wetsanding scares me. Again, just one member's opinion here but i have wetsanded with my PC 7336 (old machine with some use/wear enough to render it even less forceful) and even then watched my downward pressure so as to lightly apply the force.

As Mike pointed out very accurately, the 3401 can dig a little deeper if not careful.

Bottom line for me? Yes, Mike can do it but i'd be just a little more cautious being several hundred levels below his expertise and skill level.

Again, Mike, not discounting your advice in the least. Just offering my opinion on something that remains scary for me personally.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Here you go... pictures and recommendations...

Can the Flex 3401 be used to wetsand?

That is awesome!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Puckman View Post

Again, Mike, not discounting your advice in the least. Just offering my opinion on something that remains scary for me personally.

Just to note...

If you click the link and read the article, I don't recommend using the Flex 3401 for machine sanding.

I titled the article a as a question because it comes up enough in the forum world and when it comes up it's usually as a question.

Except for the sanding I did to take pictures for the article I've never used a Flex 3401 to sand down a car and wouldn't.

Post Thanks / Like

Got it and sorry for any confusion, Mike. My bad, big time. I admit to scanning the article and saw you answered "yes" and overlooked the qualifying comments. I gotcha now.

(New Years Resolution #17 - read EVERY word of EVERY post before offering opinions)

Post Thanks / Like

I have ordered the 3M #20317 air powered 5 incn sander, as well as a case of unigrit 1500 (25 pack) and 3000 (15 pack) 6 inch sanding discs (also with foam interface pad) after reading this. Total of $243 shipped. This should be all I need, correct? And common sense tells me the 6 inch system works on this 5 inch machine (pad/disc overlaps backing plate for safety purposes). Could not find 5 inch pads anyways.
    Afterhours Detailing

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by The Enforcer View Post
    I have ordered the 3M #20317 air powered 5 incn sander, as well as a case of unigrit 1500 (25 pack) and 3000 (15 pack) 6 inch sanding discs (also with foam interface pad) after reading this. Total of $243 shipped. This should be all I need, correct? And common sense tells me the 6 inch system works on this 5 inch machine (pad/disc overlaps backing plate for safety purposes). Could not find 5 inch pads anyways.

Yes the 6" pads will work on the smaller backing plate you'll just have some overhang but that won't hurt anything.

I'm not sure why we don't carry the 5" size, my guess is because we sell the 6" sander and the 6" size is more common in the industry so the 6" discs will sell faster/better versus gather dust on the shelf.

I've only used the Rupes 5" and like them. They are kind of like the Mirka Abralon which I also like.