autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Orange peel on new vehicle

Hi I hope I'm not double posting I have a black 2014 Corolla with severe orange peel is there enough clear coat to get someone to wet sand and buff? Or am I stuck with it?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Orange peel on new vehicle

Only a paint thickness gauge can tell you how much total paint is on the car.

This includes e-coat, primer, base coat and clear coat

They are $159 on several e-sites

Lots of good reading on orange peel on this Forum. I would start be reviewing Mike Phillips work on paint thickness

Sanding OEM territory can be hazardous!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by godfearingman View Post

Hi I hope I'm not double posting
    Nope... not yet at least. I just replied to your intro thread....

New member in NC

I have a black 2014 Corolla with severe orange peel is there enough clear coat to get someone to wet sand and buff?

Or am I stuck with it?

First, there's not a lot of clearcoat or thickness on a factory paint job to wet sand, cut and buff safely in my personal opinion.

Can it be done? You bet.

But you would need to find,

A: Someone that hangs out on a forum like this one so they are up to date with all the newest and best products like the 3M Trizact #3000 and #5000 sanding discs or CarPro Denim pads.

B: Someone really good at both sanding and buffing to do the job right and not make a mistake.

The problem with sanding down the factory paint on your brand new Corolla is even if you find the right person to do the job and they do it without making a whoops or leaving sanding marks or holograms in the paint, the problem will be the original thin paint will now be even thinner and this puts it at risk to fail sooner down the road.

By the word fail I mean clearcoat failure.

Read through this article....

Wetsanding - Fresh Paint vs Factory Paint

Then find a 3M Post-it Note and feel it between your thumb and index finger like this,

Clearcoats are Scratch-Sensitive

The factory sprayed clear layer of paint on most new cars averages around 2 mils. That's thinner than the average post-it note.

The next time you see a post-it note... feel it between your fingers... this is usually all it takes to drive home the point as to how thin the paint is on your beautiful, shiny car.

Probably best just to learn how to properly take care of the paint that's on the car and safe wetsanding to remove orange peel for custom paint jobs as described in my first article I shared above....

Mike Phillips

Another brand new member started a similar thread just last week, lots of good info already shared in this thread....

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...el-repair.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Another brand new member started a similar thread just last week, lots of good info already shared in this thread....

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...el-repair.html

ok thanks I'll check it out will waxing and keeping the car clean and everything keep the paint protected if I was to find someone to wet sand and buff my car?

Mike Phillips

will waxing and keeping the car clean and everything keep the paint protected if I was to find someone to wet sand and buff my car?

Yes and and waxing and keeping the car clean will keep the paint protected if you don't have someone sand the car.

If you really want to find someone to wetsand the brand new paint on your brand new car, start a thread with a title like this and see if you get any takers,

Pro Detailer in North Carolina to wet sand my Corolla

Because you can research a person via their posting history, that is to look up all their posts on this forum, it's pretty easy to find out if they have the experience to tackle this type of project.

Post Thanks / Like

with mass production cars that have value-centric paint application techniques...i'd 100% recommend to settle for polished orange peel vs. trying to reduce it to any great degree and compromise the future.

i think bringing it down a little is fine, so the valleys aren't so far from the peaks, esp if it's extreme...but obviously i agree with the recommendation for multiple paint readings.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Yes and and waxing and keeping the car clean will keep the paint protected if you don't have someone sand the car.

If you really want to find someone to wetsand the brand new paint on your brand new car, start a thread with a title like this and see if you get any takers,

Pro Detailer in North Carolina to wet sand my Corolla

Because you can research a person via their posting history, that is to look up all their posts on this forum, it's pretty easy to find out if they have the experience to tackle this type of project.

Ok thanks I'll do that where would I need to post it? I gotten a lot faster responses on here than I have another detailing forum that I'm not trying to bad mouth lol. I had a black 2010 fusion I traded on this corolla and it didn't have orange peel at all I've had this corolla a little over 7 months now is it too late to wet sand and buff? I hadn't noticed until I waxed my car a month or two ago and the dealership say's it's supposed to be like that and it's not orange peel said it's the texture of the paint by a lady in the service dept and the fixed operations director whatever that is said that it's rock/chip guard in the paint itself that's why it looks like that then calls me Friday saying it's the characteristic of the paint all I want is it look at my car at any angle and any lighting condition and it look clear and smooth.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks I'll do that where would I need to post it? I gotten a lot faster responses on here than I have another detailing forum that I'm not trying to bad mouth lol. I had a black 2010 fusion I traded on this corolla and it didn't have orange peel at all I've had this corolla a little over 7 months now is it too late to wet sand and buff? I hadn't noticed until I waxed my car a month or two ago and the dealership say's it's supposed to be like that and it's not orange peel said it's the texture of the paint by a lady in the service dept and the fixed operations director whatever that is said that it's rock/chip guard in the paint itself that's why it looks like that then calls me Friday saying it's the characteristic of the paint all I want is it look at my car at any angle and any lighting condition and it look clear and smooth.
    where is the peel?
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    where is the peel?
    all over the entire car but more noticeable on the sides I can post pictures of it you might have to zoom in a little to really notice but it's there I can look down the side of the car at a certain angle and lighting condition and it's wavy, cloudy and hazy not smooth and clear can't really capture it with a camera.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast