autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wetsanding with 2k grit

Hi guys, been sanding with 2k grit at my body shop post paint. I'm having trouble knocking out the sandscratches in the initial step with my wool pad and HD cut.

It takes wayy too long. (Using a rotary here)

I'd like to find something that has a faster cut time, minimal dust followed by my HD adapt. (Which I would like to keep in my arsenal)

I've been recommended Menzerna FG400, and from what I've read it cuts pretty well. Looking for more input on that? (Keep in mind i'm ok with about 85-90 percent correction.

I've used m105 in the past, but the dust is excessive, and makes cleanup a hassle esp. in the shop.

Thanks guys!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wetsanding with 2k grit

Can't provide any input on HD products (still meaning to try them... just too many other products here).

But.... Menz 400, 1000 and 1500 will ALL remove 2000 grit wet sanding marks EVEN with a DA. FWIW, I'll do wet sanding with the Rupes paper and remove the marks all the time with the above products and nothing more than an orange or white LC pad.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    Can't provide any input on HD products (still meaning to try them... just too many other products here).

But.... Menz 400, 1000 and 1500 will ALL remove 2000 grit wet sanding marks EVEN with a DA. FWIW, I'll do wet sanding with the Rupes paper and remove the marks all the time with the above products and nothing more than an orange or white LC pad.

So i'm guessing since Menz 400 is the newest, it should be the best? (Scratch removal, and gloss factor?)

I have no doubts it will remove the scratches, but the time is what I'am concerned about. I don't want any monkey business. I need to knock the initial scratches out, then move onto refining with my HD Adapt.

And when you remove these scratches with your LC foam pads, you're LSP ready? At what percentage of correction do you achieve? This sounds like heaven.

Post Thanks / Like

If time is a factor then I would go with Meguiar's M100

Meguiars M100 Pro Speed Compound is a professional product. It is designed to be used with a wool pad on a high-speed rotary polisher. Meguiars M100 Pro Speed Compound is body shop safe, paintable, and contains no fillers. This safe, VOC compliant formula can be used on all paint finishes, including scratch-resistant and conventional clear coats. On fresh paint Meguiars M100 Pro Speed Compound is capable of removing 1200 grit or finer sanding marks.

Tech tip: For the initial compounding step, use Meguiars M100 Pro Speed Compound with a Meguiars WWHC7 Solo Wool Heavy Cutting Pad. Once the sanding marks or defects are removed, follow with Meguiars M205 Ultra Finishing Polish with a Meguiars W8207 Soft Buff Polishing Pad. This will create a perfect finish that is sure to please the most discriminating detailer.

for even finer results I would get Meguiar's M105

Meguiars M105 Ultra-Cut Compound 32 oz.
    Exclusive, super-micro abrasive technology cuts ultra fast!

Meguiars Mirror Glaze #105 Ultra-Cut Compound is a ultra fast-cutting compound for rapid paint correction with minimal compounding swirls. Super-micro abrasives leave a "best in class" finish that requires very little finishing work. Remove your vehicle�s worst imperfections quickly with professional grade Meguiars Mirror Glaze 105 Ultra-Cut Compound. DA Approved Version.

Da approved
    New Version Approved for DA, Hand and Rotary

Meguiars Mirror Glaze #105 Ultra-Cut Compound utilizes exclusive, super-micro abrasive technology that effectively levels blemishes and leaves a nearly wax-ready finish. Unlike traditional compounds that leave compounding swirls, Meguiars Mirror Glaze #105 Ultra-Cut Compound leaves a deep shine with few � if any � swirl marks! A quick pass with a finishing polish will completely restore the shine and prepare the paint for wax.

The real benefit of Meguiars Mirror Glaze 105 Ultra-Cut Compound is how fast it works! The super-micro abrasives cut quickly to remove 1200 grit sanding scratches, acid rain, and severe swirls and holograms. Rather than going over and over the same spot, you can remove the blemish and move on to the next step. Because #105 Ultra-Cut Compound does work so quickly and with such small abrasives, it leaves a smooth, glossy finish. For professional detailers, Ultra-Cut Compound is a time-saver!

Meguiars Mirror Glaze #105 Ultra-Cut Compound is body shop safe, paintable, and contains no fillers. This safe, VOC compliant formula can be used on all paint finishes, including scratch-resistant and conventional clear coats.

Meguiars Mirror Glaze 105 Ultra-Cut Compound should be applied with a polisher if you plan to compound the entire vehicle. Work at a maximum speed of 1500 to 2000 RPM with a foam or wool cutting pad. Work until the compound starts to dry. Wipe off the residue with a clean Cobra Microfiber Towel. If necessary, follow up with Meguiars Mirror Glaze #205 Ultra Finishing Polish to completely restore the gloss.

I am not to familiar with the HD products you mentioned, but after compounding with either M100 or M105 then just a polish and you'll be good to go. I've learned that after compounding then just a polish like M205 on a DA should give you great results if the compounding steps were done well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by solekeeper View Post
    Hi guys, been sanding with 2k grit at my body shop post paint. I'm having trouble knocking out the sandscratches in the initial step with my wool pad and HD cut.

It takes wayy too long. (Using a rotary here)

I'd like to find something that has a faster cut time, minimal dust followed by my HD adapt. (Which I would like to keep in my arsenal)

I've been recommended Menzerna FG400, and from what I've read it cuts pretty well. Looking for more input on that? (Keep in mind i'm ok with about 85-90 percent correction.

I've used m105 in the past, but the dust is excessive, and makes cleanup a hassle esp. in the shop.

Thanks guys!
    Adapt can remove 2000 sanding marks (though not the most efficient) while using a DA and you're not able to with Cut on a rotary? I think something's off in the technique...

To more directly answer the question though, given the body shop environment and for a price point similar to Cut, I'd go Meg's M100.
    Brandon--Custom Cleaning Concepts, LLC
    If you want your ride as clean as can be, you need to call CCC!

Post Thanks / Like

just read that you did try M105 (missed that part)

If you like the price of Menzerna FG400 then that is great stuff. Since it is a DAT product. It finishes out great too.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not consider DA sanding with 3000? To make life easier, they are costlier though...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CCC4me View Post
    Adapt can remove 2000 sanding marks (though not the most efficient) while using a DA and you're not able to with Cut on a rotary? I think something's off in the technique...

To more directly answer the question though, given the body shop environment and for a price point similar to Cut, I'd go Meg's M100.
    I just read that again and realize it might have come across as terse. That was not my intent, but I am wondering what your technique is so we can help.
    • Are you sanding by hand or machine?
    • How much sanding experience do you have?
    • Are you getting a nice, even pattern without tracers?
    • Any pictures of the sanding pattern and after buffing?
    • A review of your buffing technique?
    Brandon--Custom Cleaning Concepts, LLC
    If you want your ride as clean as can be, you need to call CCC!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you are pushing too hard while sanding. That could be a huge contributor to the problem. Are you using a DA sander? Or hand? DA will really help even things outs for you.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all the replies guys.

I'm using 2k grit with a d/a sander. actually, it isn't round though, it's square. Back and forth motion. Not orbital.

I've been sanding for quite some time. We actually use to sand with 1500. I convinced my dad to use 2k grit. 1500 was way too coarse, after paint we do not need that. Our finish is perfect after the 2k.

Hernandez, how is the cut with FG400? Comparable to.... m105?

I did like the cut of 105, but the dusting and clean-up was NOT efficient.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast