autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Very light clear coat.. Need tips on cleaning and buffing it.

Hey everyone!

So I have a friend that has a '90 Nissan 240SX. I am going to be doing a full detail for him for a big car show we are going to be attending in April. He tried buffing his car in the past and it left swirls and just doesn't look good. He wants me to do it for him. His clear coat is wearing thin in some places. So my question is, WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO CUT AND/OR BUFF HIS CAR? I have a random orbital polisher, varying pads, and a medium cut compound and a light cut/polish at the moment. Should I just go about it like any other car, or should I take extra care? I realize its probably going to be a little harder to get a good shine because the clear coat is fading away and no longer has the properties clear gives paint. Any info you guys can give me would be great! Thanks!

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like
    You need to be more specific. You state the the clear is getting thin. Have you measured the paint's thickness with a gauge? By this do you mean it has clear coat failure? It could possibly be oxidation? Are you positive this car is not single stage paint. A lot of foreign cars from that period were single stage.

A test spot with the least aggressive method to achieve the desired results is always the best advice.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Very light clear coat.. Need tips on cleaning and buffing it.

Sorry, I am fairly new to all this. Its failing in a few spots, but I am not going to touch those. It is not a single stage. I have not measured it. So just start a little less aggressive and see how that goes? If that has comforting results, would you go a little more aggressive?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by itzzjordan_ View Post
    Sorry, I am fairly new to all this. Its failing in a few spots, but I am not going to touch those. It is not a single stage. I have not measured it. So just start a little less aggressive and see how that goes? If that has comforting results, would you go a little more aggressive?

IF it's already showing signs of clear coat failure or missing clearcoat then I wouldn't buff these areas at all and go extra gental on any good paint on the affected panels. Stick with a fine to ultra fine cut polish.

The sides are probably in better shape as it's the horizontal panels that tend to fail first.

As for what to use?

"Use the least aggressive products to get the job done"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    IF it's already showing signs of clear coat failure or missing clearcoat then I wouldn't buff these areas at all and go extra gental on any good paint on the affected panels. Stick with a fine to ultra fine cut polish.

The sides are probably in better shape as it's the horizontal panels that tend to fail first.

As for what to use?

"Use the least aggressive products to get the job done"

Alright well I will try that and a see how that goes. I won't get near areas with clear coat problems. Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

can you post some pictures. This will help you get the best answer. thanks