autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wetsanding issue?

So I was wet sanding some scratches of my car with 2000grit sand paper 2003 e500, and while 80% came of well, I did get a feel for the clear code, anyways , there was this last scratch, that seemed like it was similar in depth and width , so I started sanding away (the sand paper had been less effective etc) anyways on this last scratch I was wet sanding and and didn't see any white water or residue from the clear code so I assumed the sand paper wasn't doing anything. I took the paper of my car and I have this? Did I burn throught the clear? I doubt it as I sanded a lot harder and longer when the paper was new and nothing like this happened . Anyways I still see the metallic flakes and all but I got this on the paint. Any help would be awesome thanks! First post by the way love the content on this site!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Its sounds as if you needed to get a new piece of sandpaper if you didnt see any white residue as for burning the paint does the area look lighter than the rest if so then you went through the clear coay and welcome to autogeek

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wetsanding issue?

Yeah it's a bit lighter , I thought I went through the clear as well but I got confused as I saw no white residue and I would think a used piece of sand paper works slower .. Anyways I carnuba waxed it and got the picture above.. Anyway to fix that without a respray. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    You can touch up the area with clear touch up paint

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Should I attempt to sand it down after so it blends in or just leave as is ? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you went through clear coat Welcome to AGO . You should never wet sand if your not sure what your doing and should have a paint gauge to make sure its even safe to wet sand.

Post Thanks / Like
    yes you should sand it down that way it blend in with the rest but get 3000 or higher paper and work very slow

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    Looks like you went through clear coat Welcome to AGO . You should never wet sand if your not sure what your doing and should have a paint gauge to make sure its even safe to wet sand.
    Well I was hoping that wasn't the case, I was surprised how quickly it went through as the quarter panel had a similar scratch, and I sanded longer when the sandpaper was relatively new . well. The base code still seems to have all the flakes , so it might take jamesboyy advise and apply some clear touch, up as I have some lying around, what would be the procedure for this? I also have a matched base coat, so should I mix them together or just put the clear? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    It all depends on what suits you best
    you could add three coats of base color and then three coats of clear or just three coats of clear or you could mix a little bit of base color and clear coat together

Post Thanks / Like

yeah you burned through the clear coat. I am pretty much 100% positive. I have seen burn throughs quite a few times btw. Hopefully I'm wrong...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast