autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Menzerna SF4000 or Megs M205

Quote Originally Posted by Tresca View Post
    I know it varies given a multitude of conditions, but how long can M205 be worked on average at about 75 degF for a 2'x2' section? I found some recommendations on a web search that says 20-30 seconds in 2-3 passes, but some Youtube videos show working it much longer on the order of 75-100 seconds with 6-8 passes.
    Really can't say, unless you have it under hand. There are just too many variables. Like for instance, old neglected paint versus well maintained paint. It'll have a VERY short working time on the first one but work for a while on the second. Yet at 75º in the shade it should work longer than 20~30 seconds for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Success View Post
    Same finish imo. Very hard to tell the difference. However one is dat and the other is smat.
    And who would have thought the only difference being the "D" vs. the "SM" would make so much difference. By and large though the "D", by default works much longer. Without working it down then it's not working as designed. (At all!)

Quote Originally Posted by CM8 6MT View Post
    Tresca, something you saw online about a product might not work for you. Why? Someone elses defenition of a "pass" differs from person to person. Also, their paint type & defects their trying to remove will differ from you. It all really depends on what your trying to acomplish. Like others have stated, it all depends on pad, pressure but most importantly your ultimate goal. Ultimately, this is why a test spot is so important. You also stated earlier that M205 isnt really a finishing polish, I disagree. Heres an article I wrote a long time ago on the versatility of M205: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...potential.html
    And I know of one guy that calls "section passes" by a totally different name than anyone I've ever heard of, calls them "treatments". Don't ask me where he came up with that, other than it perhaps sounding 'exclusive' but it's confusing at best.

I do understand the 'thought' of 205 not being called a (pure) finishing polish in the strict sense. What with Menzerna having clearly defined compounds, polishes, and finishing polishes. The latter with measurably less cut than 205 from the start and especially so at the finish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    And I know of one guy that calls "section passes" by a totally different name than anyone I've ever heard of, calls them "treatments". Don't ask me where he came up with that, other than it perhaps sounding 'exclusive' but it's confusing at best.
    LOL what??? Wow. Im going to start calling my details "procedures". Hows that for exclusive? Hows the G doing by the way?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CM8 6MT View Post
    LOL what??? Wow. Im going to start calling my details "procedures". Hows that for exclusive? Hows the G doing by the way?

Oh you don't know the half of it. He's a high priced guy here in town, one of the top two for sure. Why he chooses to call it "treatments" I have no freaking idea.

Sorry about not replying earlier, I've been in bed with a ruptured disc all week. Called my pain management doctor earlier in the week to make a pushed up appointment, then called him back today telling him I can't manage this anymore with meds. (And believe you me, I have CRAP LOADS of narcotics. Been taking them for over 10 years and this is far beyond what meds can handle.) Told him to get me a new MRI 'stat' as we need a surgical alternative sooner than later. BOY I hate saying that, but we'll see.

The G is getting along fine. Put a quart of Mobil 1 in it a couple weeks ago, (although it's been 14 months since it was changed). OTOH It only has 2600 miles on the oil that's in it, along with the Mobil 1 filter.

I was hoping to polish all the BFCS off of it and put PBL850 coating on it this week. If I could walk that is!

How are things out your way? How's CO and the service life? Never did get a complete logo done like I wanted. Got it part of the way there, just enough to put on some cards and never got around to messing with it anymore. Oh well.

Any-who.... time for an ice pack, meds, and Jimmy Fallon.

Later dude!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh you don't know the half of it. He's a high priced guy here in town, one of the top two for sure. Why he chooses to call it "treatments" I have no freaking idea.

Sorry about not replying earlier, I've been in bed with a ruptured disc all week. Called my pain management doctor earlier in the week to make a pushed up appointment, then called him back today telling him I can't manage this anymore with meds. (And believe you me, I have CRAP LOADS of narcotics. Been taking them for over 10 years and this is far beyond what meds can handle.) Told him to get me a new MRI 'stat' as we need a surgical alternative sooner than later. BOY I hate saying that, but we'll see.

The G is getting along fine. Put a quart of Mobil 1 in it a couple weeks ago, (although it's been 14 months since it was changed). OTOH It only has 2600 miles on the oil that's in it, along with the Mobil 1 filter.

I was hoping to polish all the BFCS off of it and put PBL850 coating on it this week. If I could walk that is!

How are things out your way? How's CO and the service life? Never did get a complete logo done like I wanted. Got it part of the way there, just enough to put on some cards and never got around to messing with it anymore. Oh well.

Any-who.... time for an ice pack, meds, and Jimmy Fallon.

Later dude!
    Oh man you sound like me.

I am out on long term disability due to a severe groin injury at my reg job.

Hope you feel better soon.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jankerson View Post
    Oh man you sound like me.

I am out on long term disability due to a severe groin injury at my reg job.

Hope you feel better soon.
    Oh that is bad news dude.
    OTOH, I've been disabled with my back since this time in 02. I have a ton of groin pain with L5 and S1, even my L leg & foot doesn't work right.

Normally the meds keep things going, (and my pain management guy is amazing with his ability to understand all aspects of it all) but for the last couple of months there are not enough meds on the planet to fight through this one. Lots of stuff with 'hydro' at the beginning, muscle relaxers, nerve pain stuff, electro-stimulators you name it. Check out fentanyl 72hr patches, that's what they gave me years ago and I stopped using it. Just too freaking strong!!! Actually it's what they have me use when the morphine 'ER' isn't doing the trick, and BOTH don't help with this.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh that is bad news dude.
    OTOH, I've been disabled with my back since this time in 02. I have a ton of groin pain with L5 and S1, even my L leg & foot doesn't work right.

Normally the meds keep things going, (and my pain management guy is amazing with his ability to understand all aspects of it all) but for the last couple of months there are not enough meds on the planet to fight through this one. Lots of stuff with 'hydro' at the beginning, muscle relaxers, nerve pain stuff, electro-stimulators you name it. Check out fentanyl 72hr patches, that's what they gave me years ago and I stopped using it. Just too freaking strong!!! Actually it's what they have me use when the morphine 'ER' isn't doing the trick, and BOTH don't help with this.
    Oh I know, I will have to end up going to an orthopedic for tests etc and likely surgery if I ever will have any chance of being normal again.

So for now it's Long Term Disability...

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jankerson View Post
    Oh I know, I will have to end up going to an orthopedic for tests etc and likely surgery if I ever will have any chance of being normal again.

So for now it's Long Term Disability...
    Silly me, I waited 5 years before admitting it to myself. Should have seen the attorney when I turned in all the documents and it'd been over 5 years. He couldn't believe it! Gotta' love that check though.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I tried both products (SF4000 and M205), and both polishes were easy to apply, work and remove. However, I could not see a difference between them on the factory orange peel finish. Also, neither one was enough to remove the rain water stains I was after.

I used a LC white pad in both 5.5" and 4". I also have a LC 4" orange pad I bought several years ago that has a slightly dished face. Should I try the orange pad, more applications of the polishes I have or step up to something stronger?

If a different polish, what do you suggest? The only locally available polish that has promise is M105 and Ultimate Compound, but I'm concerned these two may be too abrasive.

Post Thanks / Like

Super finish is the last polish I use when I'm doing a 3 stage paint correction. I really enjoy using it because it polishes the paint free of defects from more abrasive polishes. Your car will have a glass like reflection and be ready for wax/sealant/coating.

*Remember to wipe the car down with either IPA/Eraser/Prep Polish whenever you finish polishing. If you don't, your LSP won't achieve maximum bonding with the paint
    Brian Dubinsky
    ELITE: Luxury Detailing + Paint Protection
    Maryland - Northern VA - DC

Post Thanks / Like

Silly me, I waited 5 years before admitting it to myself. Should have seen the attorney when I turned in all the documents and it'd been over 5 years. He couldn't believe it! Gotta' love that check though.
    I didn't have any choice but to do it now.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast