autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

The first of two scratches I would like to fix

I bought my new RAM back in March so it saddened me when I did this. I had a metal pole with no end cap swing around and ding my front fender. I have tried Wolfgang swirl remover 2.0 on an orange pad but no joy. It does catch on your nail so I'm worried I am in a mess. I have sand paper up to 3000 grit. The second scratch i don't have a picture of yet, its on the trunk of my car. However I have tried swirl remover on a pink pad with no luck. This scratch is on a black car and appears to just be the clearcoat. I was able to remove some other subtle scratches with the pink pad just not this one. Here is the RAM, Ill get the car up later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The first of two scratches I would like to fix-cam00172-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The first of two scratches I would like to fix

If it catches your fingernail, you might want to think about filling it with touchup paint before you sand anything, lest you be saddened further.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    If it catches your fingernail, you might want to think about filling it with touchup paint before you sand anything, lest you be saddened further.

+1 all day every day. If you are new to wetsanding, do yourself a huge favor and get a panel from a junkyard. I've seen numerous threads on here where guys try to wetsand and end up compromising clearcoat.

Also, if you can't catch your fingernail, swing by a local auto parts store and pick up some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. If you don't already have any compound of course.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online
    Mike Frickman
    Owner/Operator
    On Scene Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

get touch up paint, a tooth pick and 3k paper and a block.

use the tooth pick to "fill in" the scratch. do several coats or multiple strokes waiting 20-30min in between each time.

you are essentially filling up the scratch, once filled you are going to block sand the whole area with 3k paper.

The paper will sand off excess paint and sand offf any paint the is not "in" the scratch. There is a how to thread on this by Mike Phillips.

so you are left over with just paint in the scratch, the WG TSR will sand off 3k paper marks so dont worry about that.

so you are filling, leveling off extra paint and than buffing to a shine. expect to spend a good 24hrs doing this. (you need to allow the paint to dry in between fillings)

as stated, goto a junk yard or body shop. get a old panel or hood, whatever. scratch it similar to what you are dealing with no and see how it goes fixing it.

post ?'s and perfect your craft before you try it on your car.

GL

Post Thanks / Like

+1

Great way to do it, I prefer using 2k first than 3k un-grit.
    Then polish it out to perfection

Quote Originally Posted by Rival View Post
    get touch up paint, a tooth pick and 3k paper and a block.

use the tooth pick to "fill in" the scratch. do several coats or multiple strokes waiting 20-30min in between each time.

you are essentially filling up the scratch, once filled you are going to block sand the whole area with 3k paper.

The paper will sand off excess paint and sand offf any paint the is not "in" the scratch. There is a how to thread on this by Mike Phillips.

so you are left over with just paint in the scratch, the WG TSR will sand off 3k paper marks so dont worry about that.

so you are filling, leveling off extra paint and than buffing to a shine. expect to spend a good 24hrs doing this. (you need to allow the paint to dry in between fillings)

as stated, goto a junk yard or body shop. get a old panel or hood, whatever. scratch it similar to what you are dealing with no and see how it goes fixing it.

post ?'s and perfect your craft before you try it on your car.

GL

Post Thanks / Like
    http://youtu.be/6xi3xmeO6C4

http://youtu.be/jmEhsuO2cKY

http://youtu.be/v5QAjWbx03s

And as they suggested, practice and get it clocked in first. (If done improperly you can cause additional damage)

You can always find a Reputable Detailer that could take on the task for you. He can also show you proper care for the work he does.

^ (Check out those videos a lot of additional information)

Good luck, and ask as many questions as you like before tackling this job IMO

Art