autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Burned paint on first try

So I did my first paint correction on my 2001 corvette. There were two small parts that I actually burned through the paint on edges. I was using a griots DA with a lake city orange pad and Wolfgang swirl remover. Is this even possible or is it something I didn't notice before and was done by previous owner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Uh oh....take pics.

Edit: I assume you didnt tape off the edges in question?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Burned paint on first try

It is possible. I believe Mark, five point o?, has some experience with this from when he polished his vette. Hopefully he chimes in. And yes, please post some pics.
    Famous last words of a redneck- "Hold my beer, watch this "

Post Thanks / Like
    It's possible. I did it with a PC. But I really overworked the surface going after a scratch. I just went through the clear coat. Oddly enough, it was on a plastic fender flair.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    It's possible. I did it with a PC. But I really overworked the surface going after a scratch. I just went through the clear coat. Oddly enough, it was on a plastic fender flair.
    What do you consider "overworking" the surface? I've got some scratches I'm going to work on and don't want to do that!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by volrus View Post
    What do you consider "overworking" the surface? I've got some scratches I'm going to work on and don't want to do that!
    Does your fingernail catch the edge of the scratch or is it shallower than that?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are a couple pics. It isn't real bad, but enough to drive me over the edge. They are both edges between body panels. I was so very careful and didn't over work the area. In barely hit the edges. Now I have no idea what to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snowking724 View Post
    It is possible. I believe Mark, five point o?, has some experience with this from when he polished his vette. Hopefully he chimes in. And yes, please post some pics.
    You're right!

Yes, I burned an edge on my 07 z06. I got overly anal trying to remove a scratch. I held the polisher in the same spot and used heavy pressure. You have to really try to do this, though. Bonehead mistake. If you keep the polisher moving, there's a very small chance you'll burn the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrons View Post
    I was so very careful and didn't over work the area. In barely hit the edges. Now I have no idea what to do.
    Highly, highly doubt you burned the edge.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

If you were very careful not to overwork, the only other possibility is that the clear coat was thinned some much by someone else, then you going over it took it over the edge and burned through.

Its really not the end of the world tbh, many paint systems before did not have clear coats.

If it really bugs you (it would sicken me tbh), I would take it straight to a good body shop or painter with a proper booth (id go to a painter, they are better with stuff like this) and get them to fix it. Depending on the conditions, they respray the entire panel or re-clear it.

Remember that DA buffers are safer, but not fool proof. The Griots (particularly powerful), can generate quite a bit of heat. Heat burns paint and if held on a body line or edge for even a few seconds due to the high concentration of power on one point.

Also remember (nerd time), Corvettes are all fibreglass and plastic. Compared to aluminum or ferrous metal panels, composite materials do not dissipate heat very well, in fact they act like an insulator. So on any composite body parts, you have to be even more conscious about heat because it builds faster.

Larry at AMMONYC demonstrates this best [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htsl7ICY8Nw]$1,000,000 Ferrari Restoration Detail - YouTube[/video]

Hope this works out for you!!

Post Thanks / Like

So folks, what are other alternatives in such scenarios where there's paint damage, and it's near an edge?

Should one then perhaps safely resort to hand polishing? I'm getting the impression this is the correct answer. Mark

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast