autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So I'm thinking of switching to DA wetsanding..

A few variables, I work at a body shop.

Paint is sanded next day, using 2000 grit. We do not reduction sand, we have had plenty of excellent results on numerous clearcoat finishes with this technique. So Ideally, I'll like to stick with 2k. I would however, want to switch the way i'am sanding, to a DA.

I'd like to first understand the pro's of it, as far as I know it is faster, creates less mess, and most likely will buff out easier. The only downside I can think of is, it could burn the paint faster. Am I on the right track so far?

I'd like to get into more details on the supplies i need, but i want to make sure this step is the right one for us, before i switch everything else up. Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually it may burn less quickly because of the amount of pressure you could aply accidentally to a very small region.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using AG Online
    Shawn Tedrow
    Tedrow's Mobile Auto Detailing
    facebook.com/TedrowsMobileDetailing 845-642-1698

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: So I'm thinking of switching to DA wetsanding..

bumppp

Mike Phillips

Hi solekeeper,

Just read your PM with the link to this thread. Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of town teaching classes at this year's Mobil Tech Expo.

Mobile Tech Expo 2013 - Pictures & Comments

Returned late Saturday night and wasn't feeling well on Sunday or Monday.

Happy to say I didn't catch the flu from anyone at the show, (shook a lot of hands), and I'm back to work today.

Machine sanding is faster than hand sanding and as long as you're paying attention as you work you'll remove paint more evenly and leave a sanding mark pattern that is a lot easier and faster to buff out.

The key to me is to tape-off any raised body lines and edges because as you're sanding you'll be creating a white slurry on the surface and it's all to easy to NOT see an edge, corner or raised body line and then sand over these areas and that's never good.

Watch this video as I cover all aspects of wetsanding, including hand sanding, machine sanding, taping-off raised body lines etc.

Video: Helping in the Heartland - Part 1 The Transformation

Fast forward to the 24 minute mark for the machine sanding section. Lots of tips all they way through this video but it is interlaced with interview about this project.

Everything I cover in the machine sanding process can be used for just knocking down orange peel, surface texture, dirt in paint etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,
    The link is broken.

Thank you.
    Roger

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 4AudiQ View Post
    Mike,
    The link is broken.

Thank you.
    Roger

Thanks Roger, I fixed the code in the link.

Sometimes when copying and pasting into a dialog box to make text a clickable link there will be two sets of http:// in the URL Address. This is because the link dialog box when it opens already has the http:// in the box and when a person copies and pastes the actual full URL address they need to either remove the pre-existing http:// or replace it when they actually do the copy and paste.

But it's fixed now...

You ever see a orange and black Sanger Drag boat running around on any of the lakes around Bend?