autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

which CCS pads for DA heavy, or not at all?

looking to get more into using the DA. normally I would just use the rotary for any kind of scratch removal, and obviously after wet sanding. so, aside from the sanding part, if I just wanted to do some heavy cutting with compound, which color Lake country CCS pads would I use with a 6.5 inch DA? they offer the yellow heavy cut and the orange light cut and then there are 7 others under that for polishing (which seems like about 3 too many to me). and thats the problem. can you get away with heavy cutting on the yellow, then switch to the pink to remove the compound swirls, then finish with maybe the green polishing/finishing pad - even though there are still 4 more colors below the green? what is the proper combination if you need to remove heavy scratches and major swirls but dont want to have to go over it more than 3 times? thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

Re: which CCS pads for DA heavy, or not at all?

maybe this CSS pad chart will shed some light

Lake Country DA Foam Pads Comparison Chart
    Mercedes C230 Sport edition

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by baknforth101 View Post
    looking to get more into using the DA. normally I would just use the rotary for any kind of scratch removal, and obviously after wet sanding. so, aside from the sanding part, if I just wanted to do some heavy cutting with compound, which color Lake country CCS pads would I use with a 6.5 inch DA? they offer the yellow heavy cut and the orange light cut and then there are 7 others under that for polishing (which seems like about 3 too many to me). and thats the problem. can you get away with heavy cutting on the yellow, then switch to the pink to remove the compound swirls, then finish with maybe the green polishing/finishing pad - even though there are still 4 more colors below the green? what is the proper combination if you need to remove heavy scratches and major swirls but dont want to have to go over it more than 3 times? thanks guys
    Great question. Are you using a PC or a flex? That will make a difference. Also, what kind I clear with really change what pads and compound you need. Personally on soft, acrylic clears I have used an orange pad on a PC. Harder ceramic clears, you will need the yellow pad. These pads can remove #2000 sanding marks and swirls. If you have deep scratches and you want to avoid sanding, you can just spend more time making passes over them and they will come out. As far as polishing, I don't like the pink pad, too coarse. I never really use the pad. I use a white or grey pad for polishing. Blue, gold, red pads really have no cutting to them, so I use them as an applicator or wax or sealant. I have used them as jeweling pad too. If you are going to make an order of a six pack I'd recommend:
    -Yellow
    -Orange
    -Orange
    -White
    -Grey
    -Red

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks Doug. that does help. think I'll go with 1 yellow, 1 orange, 1 white and 2 green. not gonna get into the finishing pads cause i think i would rather just put a coat of wax on by hand when I get down that low on the scale. seems like the green polishing/finishing pad would be low enough for a machine. unless I was doing show cars, and Im not. thanks for the reply.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

im gonna buy a new Meguiars g110v2. so thats what ill be using. you think it would make more sense to go from the white pad to the grey pad or the green pad?

Post Thanks / Like

Hand, I've never used the g110v2 machine, but I spend entirely too much time on these forums.
    If I were you I'd be looking at the 5.5" pads

Besides, most longtime rotary users have a longer learning curve, as opposed to the newb to detailing...at least that's my interpretation. Take with a grain of salt

VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

the g110v2 , like most DA's, come with the 6 inch backing pad, so it uses the 6.5 inch pads. so, I assume I would need to get the seperate 5 inch (or smaller) backing pad? I actually like the sound of the 4 inch pad , if thats an option on the g100v2, over the 5 inch pad. do they make a 4 inch backing pad for that DA?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by baknforth101 View Post
    im gonna buy a new Meguiars g110v2. so thats what ill be using. you think it would make more sense to go from the white pad to the grey pad or the green pad?
    I don't really like the green as a polishing pad, it doesn't really have much of a point for me. White us far superior to it. Grey is softer than green. Grey will make a nice jeweling pad, but if you want polishing pads, I'd double up on the white pads. They really work well!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about the 110v2 First one didn't last two cars...second one I don't think is going to make 3. I have a PC that is much more reliable...but I would like to have a little more power.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

hmmm, i havent heard anybody say that about it. i would go with the PC but i know the power is low and it also vibrates a lot more. plus I have to have the bale handle. should I go Griots instead? ive heard people complain about them not working for long either though so i dont know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast