autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

First shot at fixing the black Vette

I got my package in from autogeek today and went to work on a test spot with my car. If you have not seen it, my black Corvette is pretty swirled up, and in addition to that it has wet sanding marks. The last detailer who did the wet sanding must have loaded up his paper occasionally, because I have straight line zig zag marks here and there, like where a piece of grit or dirt got in between the paper and the paint while he was rubbing. Here's a pic of some of the damage:

So anyway, I went to work with a orange low profile pad, and Wolfgang TSR using the PCXP. I primed my pad with pad conditioner, and did the exact same steps that Mike Phillips does in his swirl removal vids - one, two, and three on youtube.

I made 6 section passes and checked it out. It got the majority of the swirls out, but the straight line scratches still show through in some places. They are obviously deeper and they could be too deep in certain places. I took some 2000 grit paper and lightly sanded a few of them and the came right out. The ones I checked beforehand did not catch my fingernail. I think very few of them are that deep.

Now the problem I'm having is that after another six section passes with TSR and an orange pad, the sanding marks I made are not coming out. I think I need something more aggressive. I'm told there isn't too much difference between the yellow pads and orange, so if I had some compound with a little more cut, I may try that.

Interestingly, the clear which was applied in the repaint last year is softer than I expected. It feels just about like 48 hour old clear. It was very easy to wet sand. I guess this is a good thing, because I won't wear myself out too bad doing the rest of the car. Just need some suggestions on what else to try.

I do have a bottle of Presta Ultra cutting creme, which is what I have used before with a wool pad and rotary. I'm scared to use the rotary on this though. I feel like the D/A should be able to correct most of this.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First shot at fixing the black Vette

There are a lot of different flavors here and differing opinions too. I'd be using Meguiars M-105 on your car and having followed the threads on your car, I'd check my work after every 2 section passes to be sure I wasn't removing more of the precious clear than necessary to remove the sanding marks. Then finish with a finishing polish of your choice.

Expect the 105 to flash dry rather quickly and begin to dust some. Just because it's flashing doesn't mean it's not still cutting. I think that's the problem most folks have with 105, they think just because it appears to be drying up that it's done cutting. Simply not so. There is a bit of a learning curve with it but with your orange pads it's likely the best choice of compounds to cut the defects that you're working on.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if I can get 105 Here locally?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J S Machine View Post
    Not sure if you have them where you are but my local PepBoys carries 105. It is more expensive then ordering it though.

Post Thanks / Like

I get mine at Advance Auto in the body shop supplies isle, or any body shop supply business should carry it. The Wally World about 30 miles from here carries it too...for now... I think it was Michael Stoops that made a thread over at MOL that lists all the WalMarts that will carry the MF disks/G110V2 and they should all also have the 105.

Post Thanks / Like

Here you go, is this walmart anywhere near you?

State City Street Address
    AL BOAZ 1972 HWY 431

Edit...Looks like you'd have better luck at Advance or an auto body supply, or of course ordering from AG.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    ... I think it was Michael Stoops that made a thread over at MOL that lists all the WalMarts that will carry the MF disks/G110V2 and they should all also have the 105.
    ANy chance of getting that list here? Zip 78258

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J S Machine View Post
    There has got to be some sort of auto body paint/supply store that would stock some locally.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammondc View Post
    ANy chance of getting that list here? Zip 78258
    paste this>>> m105/m205 d300, pads, etc at walmart <<< into your google search bar and the MOL list should be at the top.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how much difference there is between the megs 105 and Presta Ultra cutting compound?

From what I've read, not much...

The problem is that I would like to use it with the D/A but I don't know if a foam pad will work though.

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast