autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The correct steps to polish a car ??

Mike,
    Thanks for you great help. I feel confident now. I also live in Florida (Miami) I will update you with my results and will post pictures if possible. Thanks again for the tips. I will use a wool pad with the medium compound (I own one by 3M and another from Meguiars) and will save the yellow Meguiars for the swirl remover. Well, I bought a black pad just this morning that probably won't use. One more question, please. Swirl remover and Machine Glaze are the same product ??

Cheers !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Great patience and tips for all newbies...me included Mr. Phillips.

You're going to be working on the paint anyhow and it's just as easy to do quality work the first time as is to do mediocre work the first time. That said, I can understand if you're aren't worried about keeping a show car finish on a daily driver because after all it's a daily driver.

I am confident that if you take the time to read Mikes articles, and watch the video clips he's posted here for you, stellar results can be obtained...even by you. He's here to help you and all of us. If you will take the time to learn how to post some pictures along the way (important before and after shots), do some test spots, and listen to Mike I am confident he can guide you to awesome results regardless of products used.

You can do it!
    Bill

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by dvjorge View Post
    Mike,
    Thanks for you great help. I feel confident now.

I also live in Florida (Miami) I will update you with my results and will post pictures if possible. Thanks again for the tips. I will use a wool pad with the medium compound (I own one by 3M and another from Meguiars) and will save the yellow Meguiars for the swirl remover. Well, I bought a black pad just this morning that probably won't use.

I'm holding a free detailing clinic this Saturday, why not drive up with your truck and I'll go over each of the procedures you'll need to do in person.

Sign-up for Saturday Detailing Clinic - April 21st, 2012

One more question, please. Swirl remover and Machine Glaze are the same product ??

Cheers !!!

If when you say, "Machine Glaze" you're referring to Meguiar's #3 Machine Glaze?

Then the answer is "no". #3 is non-abrasive, any cutting ability comes from your choice of pad.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike,
    Do you think the Meguiars M-205 could work after the swirl remover to give me my last machine step before the hand wax ??
    I know you probably adviced a better product but my budget is limited. I can get 12 ounces of M-205 for around $10.00 locally.
    Thanks.
    Jorge.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I did the hood today. I couldn't resist to test the Presta products. Well, I am very happy with the results. I didn't take pictures before but took some after the polishing job. I took some pictures to other parts of the car to compare later. So far, I don't see holograms or any other imperfections. The hood is a mirror now. Thanks guys. I love to do it. I probably will do it on weekends to win some extra money. Some neighbors are already impressed and asking.
    Thanks a lot for your help !!!
    Jorge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The correct steps to polish a car ??-013-jpg   The correct steps to polish a car ??-015-jpg   The correct steps to polish a car ??-018-jpg  

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, after a close inspection under a fluorescent light this night, there were a lot visible swirls I couldn't see them when I was doing it during the day. I don't know if still need to apply more swirl remover or if a microfinish compound such as M-205 will do the trick to remove them.
    Please, I need your advice to continue. I did wet sand with a P 2000 and cut with a medium compound using a wool pad. What I see under the light are circular trays probably caused by the wool pad. I don't see sanding marks but circular marks.

What to do, please ?? I can get M-205 tomorrow. Can I use it after the swirl remover ???

Thanks a lot for your time and help !!
    Jorge.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Do someone can help me ??
    I looks like Mike will be back on Monday and probably don't have time to be posting in the forum often.
    I don't understand why after polishing with a swirl remover, they are still there.
    Suggestions to correct it. I can not spend too much more in materials.
    Any help will be appreciate I want to work tomorrow to correct it.
    Thanks a lot !!

Post Thanks / Like

Do someone can help me ??
    I looks like Mike will be back on Monday and probably don't have time to be posting in the forum often.
    I don't understand why after polishing with a swirl remover, they are still there.
    Suggestions to correct it. I can not spend too much more in materials.
    Any help will be appreciate I want to work tomorrow to correct it.
    Thanks a lot !!
    Depending on how hard the clear coat is and how aggressive your approach, you may not have completely removed them.

I'm not familiar with the compound products you used and I think the Yellow Meguiar's pad you're using is better suited for polishing rather than compounding or cutting.

Mentally mark off a smaller area and concentrate on it. If you like Meguiar's pads then you might want to invest in their W7207 Burgundy Cutting Pad.

You might also find it more comfortable and more easier to control of you stayed under a 7" pad on the rotary and 5 1/2" pad on your dual action polisher.

Also something to keep in the back of your mind is that most of these cars are driven daily and not show cars so treat their finish accordingly setting your expectations within those guidelines.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I used the Meguiars 8" foam pad to apply the Swirl remover since Mike suggested it. Probably, foam cutting pads produce less swirls than wool pads. The thing is to know if foam cutting pads can remove the marks left by a P 2000 sand paper. Remember, I am in the learning curve. Sure, with your help, I will be able to do it right.
    Jorge.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I used the Meguiars 8" foam pad to apply the Swirl remover since Mike suggested it. Probably, foam cutting pads produce less swirls than wool pads. The thing is to know if foam cutting pads can remove the marks left by a P 2000 sand paper. Remember, I am in the learning curve. Sure, with your help, I will be able to do it right.
    Jorge.
    Wool pads are fibrous and it's tough not to leave some swirls behind. They do a great job cutting and on a rotary will really speed things up.

Foam cutting pads will remove swirls and sand grits quite nicely. Take a look at the product, their correction ability, and the recommended. This will give you an idea of what to use and when...

Does this mean you can stray outside the recommendations above? I think not! Recommendations are merely guidelines to head you in the right direction but ultimately you can mix and match to find something that works well for you...

We're all on learning curves and when we stop learning we grow old and turn into mushrooms!!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast