autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hazy 99 Harley

Post Thanks / Like

Hazy 99 Harley

Alright well I had a guy drop off his 99 Harley Police Special to have my Show Bike package done. Which includes a full correction. The bike is a metallic green (don't know the name).

The paint is really hazy to begin with due to age and not being properly maintained. So, I started buffing it tonight. I've tried several different combos and can't seem to get the haze to go away. The swirls are gone and when I shine a light on it and look directly over head it's clear as day, but as soon as I shine the light on an angle it appears hazy.

These are the combos I have tried so far.

Using PC7424 and 4in LC CCS pads.

Started White pad and M205. Got good results but still a few swirls.

Orange pad with M205. A little better but still hazy and few swirls.

Orange pad with WG Total swirl remover followed by WG finishing glaze on a green pad

I've also tried finishing with Menz Power finish and Menz PO85.

The paint is clear now other than a few RIDS, but the haze has not improved at all. Has anyone dealt with this on a Harley before? Or just in general?

I just can't seem to figure it out (could be I'm exhausted!). I don't have pics to post at this moment but I can get some probably tomorrow morning.

Maybe I need something with more cut? This is the first bike that I've actually done a paint correction on and I'm not sure how much paint I have to work with. My paint meter was suppose to be delivered Friday but I wasn't here to sign for it, so won't get it till Monday now.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hazy 99 Harley

Dunno what a "Police Special" might be. Is it a former cop bike or a limited Peace Officers Special Edition? Regardless, none of 'em came in green. I'd say you're dealing with a respray and what you see is what you get. Since H-D's paint and chrome are as good as it gets what you're looking at may have been hazy right out of the repaint. ::shrug::

TL

Post Thanks / Like

“Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell View Post
    Dunno what a "Police Special" might be. Is it a former cop bike or a limited Peace Officers Special Edition? Regardless, none of 'em came in green. I'd say you're dealing with a respray and what you see is what you get. Since H-D's paint and chrome are as good as it gets what you're looking at may have been hazy right out of the repaint. ::shrug::

TL
    Thanks for the input. I don't really know bikes all that well just going off of what I was told. I'll see if I can find some marking to tell me exactly what it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaJay's View Post
    Thanks for the input. I don't really know bikes all that well just going off of what I was told. I'll see if I can find some marking to tell me exactly what it is.
    Paint is paint. It doesn't matter what surface its on

Ask the owner if its imron. If so, run
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Alright well I had a guy drop off his 99 Harley Police Special to have my Show Bike package done. Which includes a full correction. The bike is a metallic green (don't know the name).

The paint is really hazy to begin with due to age and not being properly maintained. So, I started buffing it tonight. I've tried several different combos and can't seem to get the haze to go away. The swirls are gone and when I shine a light on it and look directly over head it's clear as day, but as soon as I shine the light on an angle it appears hazy.

These are the combos I have tried so far.

Using PC7424 and 4in LC CCS pads.

Started White pad and M205. Got good results but still a few swirls.

Orange pad with M205. A little better but still hazy and few swirls.

Orange pad with WG Total swirl remover followed by WG finishing glaze on a green pad

I've also tried finishing with Menz Power finish and Menz PO85.

The paint is clear now other than a few RIDS, but the haze has not improved at all. Has anyone dealt with this on a Harley before? Or just in general?

I just can't seem to figure it out (could be I'm exhausted!). I don't have pics to post at this moment but I can get some probably tomorrow morning.

Maybe I need something with more cut? This is the first bike that I've actually done a paint correction on and I'm not sure how much paint I have to work with. My paint meter was suppose to be delivered Friday but I wasn't here to sign for it, so won't get it till Monday now.
    I think the wrong pad combo. White-orange for LC in backwards. I would have used orange-white-red (or black). Your orange is leaving the haze, regardless of polish. Green with glaze is just an attempt to cover hazing from the orange.

Autogeek Buffing Pad Comparison Chart

Regards, GEWB
    Linux Reg. User #206357 (Feb. '99)
    "Can't get there from here."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gewb View Post
    I think the wrong pad combo. White-orange for LC in backwards. I would have used orange-white-red (or black). Your orange is leaving the haze, regardless of polish. Green with glaze is just an attempt to cover hazing from the orange.

Autogeek Buffing Pad Comparison Chart

Regards, GEWB
    Thanks! I do know the order for LC pads though. I will try the white pad after the WG total swirl remover. I honestly don't think it's going to make a difference, but I'll give it a shot.

The haziness hasn't changed at all from start. It should have at least improved with the White pad and 205. I'm thinking that it might be the paint and I won't be able to fix it. Either way I'll be getting back to this tonight and experimenting a little more with different combo. I'll also be picking up my paint meter today, so I can see roughly how much clear I have to play with. I'll be posting a thread about the detail once I finish it....hopefully by Wednesday...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I do know the order for LC pads though.
    We all know that you know...it was just too easy to respond.

Regards,
    GEWB
    Linux Reg. User #206357 (Feb. '99)
    "Can't get there from here."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gewb View Post
    We all know that you know...it was just too easy to respond.

Regards,
    GEWB

lol thanks! I'll be giving this another go tonight. We shall see if it's my pad combo or the paint!

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have 4" cyan hydro tech pads? How about 4" Surbuf pads? From my understanding, TL correct me if I'm wrong, motorcycle paint is harder. Also, like TL said, if it was a re-spray then it may have just been a bad job to begin with. You do have my attention with this though, thanks.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast