autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: MF Pad System...Devil's Advocate Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    I don't think any of the testers have argued whether or not the Surbuf/M105 combo cuts better, or that a follow up step the the D300 compound is needed, after all, it is a 2 step system.
    Have you ever had to do 3 steps when using surbuf/M105?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    Have you ever had to do 3 steps when using surbuf/M105?
    Yes.

Black 2007 CTS-V paint correction with Surbuf pads, by Rasky

On another note...I remember there being a lot of speculation when people started using Surbuf pads too.....hmmmmm.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post

If I run into a car that I know is going to be difficult and the owner is very demanding, I wouldn't waste my time on neither Surbufs or this new system. I would just go straight for the wool and call it a day
    Yeah, but unfortunately this customer was on a budget and only paying for a 2-step correction, not 3-4 steps. Me doing the quick intermediate step was not very time consuming and since he was a family friend I was willing to take the extra time

This car on the other had was a full on correction, and like you said, I grabbed to rotary for the initial defect removal, but I also had a LOT more time involved in the job and his budget allowed for a 4-step correction.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...detailing.html
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?

Post Thanks / Like

This seems like an interesting product. I look forward to other user responses as it becomes more widespread.

Assuming we have a free market, the market will decide its ultimate success. Yes, hyping can cause short term results but the buyers will decide. It does seem to change the focus on a foam/wool pad to a microfiber pad so I wonder how the competition (like Lake Country) will respond with alternative ideas.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I've lost so much respect for Meguiars in the past 12-18 months because of their constant failures. This company is no longer Family run (Barry Meguiar) its run by a board of directors who don't know anything about this business and are only concerned with the bottom line. If they don't improve their methods of operations, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if 3M unloads this company in the next 12-18 months
    Not too sure how you are making these assumptions, but I can assure you first-hand that this is not the case. 3M has barely even touched the internal side of Meguiar's and operations have continued the same as when Meguiar's was family owned.

Then we get to this new 2011 line. They've been hyping this product since October, and now here it is almost March and there just now releasing it. I remember Stoops last excuse was they forgot to produce the packaging or something lame along those lines. C'mon man, REALLY!!!
    Flash, I don't see what the big deal about the new microfiber system and the supposed delay is. They didn't even announce the system until November, along with all of their other 2011 products. The new products only hit store shelves about a few weeks ago. So what if the microfiber system is a few weeks later. (Mid-February, not March...) Just because they didn't release any details on the system until it hit retailers doesn't mean that it was a delayed and flawed system. I'm positive that all of the details on the system could have been released months ago, but it was a business decision on the part of Meguiar's to not release the details until it became available to the public.

Take it for what it's worth. I'm entitled to my opinion and you are entitled to yours. Just want to make sure people aren't spreading false information.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    This seems like an interesting product. I look forward to other user responses as it becomes more widespread.

Assuming we have a free market, the market will decide its ultimate success. Yes, hyping can cause short term results but the buyers will decide. It does seem to change the focus on a foam/wool pad to a microfiber pad so I wonder how the competition (like Lake Country) will respond with alternative ideas.
    This will be interesting indeed. We have already seen threads of CG coming out with there version...

Post Thanks / Like

As far as the new microfiber system goes, I have not yet had a chance to try it out, but I definitely want to give it a shot. I'm not sure why there has been such a resistance or so much doubt of the system, but I guess that's just what happens when new and different products are created.

Heck look at when the DA polisher and foam pad system came out. You had a ton of guys who have been detailing for 35 years not really like the idea, because they had been polishing with a rotary and wool pad, and that worked for them, so why should they want to change? I guess this is a little of the same thing.

My view on there being too much "hype" is that you have to take a look at this from a business stand-point. Your company has a system that they have been working on for about 7 years, trying every last possible combination of materials, and liquid that you can think of, dialing it in to get optimal results. It is time to release the product. Are you going to just release and not say anything? Of course you are going to give it hype. If you didn't, you wouldn't stay in business very long.

I get the sense that many people do not prefer Meguiar's because they make consumer products and you can find them on the shelves of Wal-Mart, so therefore they aren't as good since your average Joe can buy them. I really don't think this is something to be held against Meguiar's, considering their consumer sales proves to be a very successful business model in addition to their professional sales and it by no means should discount the performance of their products.

With so much doubt/ questioning of the new system by people who haven't even tried it yet, why not try the product first and then let us know your experience and what you think.

Just my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like

7 years to release these pads is just plain unacceptable. Whoever was in charge of developing this system has been riding the clock to long. It is time for there head to roll
    Very true that this is a very long time for product development, but none of us know the real situation with the product development. Chances are that it was probably put on the back burner for a while during other product developments. I'm just speculating, but maybe we can get Jason Rose to chime in at some point. I believe that he was an integral part of the team that developed the system.

Post Thanks / Like

If I run into a car that I know is going to be difficult and the owner is very demanding, I wouldn't waste my time on neither Surbufs or this new system. I would just go straight for the wool and call it a day
    This is where you and maybe ALOT of others differ from my workflow. I grab the sandpaper(3000 Trizact usually) and quickly level the finish of all possible defects. I then use my DA/M105 for the win. . You can wool til the cows fly but you're not duplicating a sanded finish.

Case in point (prior to DA MF system mind you):

Rotary =

Metro Detroit's Leader in Vehicle Preservation & Perfect Paint Finishes

Post Thanks / Like

...On top of that, they've been on backorder for months now. How are they replacing the units that are failing that are under warranty. How does a behemouth of a company like this run out of machines.
    Not to take this thread further off topic. But, I wanted to say that I have been happy with Megs customer service, top notch IME. I unfortunately had the G110v2 electrical cord short that was typical of the early models. I received my new replacement about two weeks ago with free pads of my choice (not mf haha) to offset my shipping costs. The new machine has a beefed up sturdier connection into the unit.

So they have new machines available. I don't have an answer for their backorder.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast