autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rookie with a buffer

Hi guys I'm new to the community, glad to find the forum!

I'm looking to learn to cut and buff but I am having a few issues. First I need to decide what buffer is best for a rookie? In my time in the detailing world I have seen the DeWalt and Cyclo used but never actually had a hands on experience with either of them. Would either of these be good for me to start with?

Also I am nervous to damage a car once I do get my buffer, how difficult is it to put swirls into paint with the buffer and what percautions should I take? I would appreciate any feedback on these topics.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    It all depends what you are going to use it for! If you are doing major correction or working with wetsanding and then buffing then you might want to looka at a rotary, best one for an awsome price is the makita buffer! Its $180 on amazon! But if you are just going to use the machine for removing swirls, polishing, applying waxes then a dual action polisher would be best! A good one would be a porter cable to start off with! Theres alot of great packages you can choose from here on AG that include the porter cable!
    Hi !

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rookie with a buffer

I would recommend starting off with the porter cable to gain skill and confidence. Once you have mastered that graduate to a flex DA or a rotary.
    Detail Fest 2012 Face Book Page
    Club Flex 3401/PE14-2-150
    -Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Why not consider a random orbital ... Griots and Flex are nice choices.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AfterHours247 View Post
    Hi guys I'm new to the community, glad to find the forum!

I'm looking to learn to cut and buff but I am having a few issues. First I need to decide what buffer is best for a rookie? In my time in the detailing world I have seen the DeWalt and Cyclo used but never actually had a hands on experience with either of them. Would either of these be good for me to start with?

Also I am nervous to damage a car once I do get my buffer, how difficult is it to put swirls into paint with the buffer and what percautions should I take? I would appreciate any feedback on these topics.

Thanks!
    Its good that your nervous. As long as you respect the machine and use common sense, the rotary will be fine for you to have and to use

Having said that. I would recommend you get a DA to start out with. If the funds are avaliable, get both

Have fun
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

OP, i have a makita rotary and a first gen porter cable dual action, and i still use the DA the most, by far.

re: what to watch out for with the rotary...staying in one place. the A#1 rule is KEEP THE MACHINE MOVING! you don't want heat to build up too much. also, really watch out for edges and ridges in the body work with a rotary.

but like i said, a DA i think would be your best bet since it's so incredibly versatile and with the right pads and product, can do anything.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

If your starting off with a DA as everyone and I agree you should since you'll want one anyway. I would go with the Groits 6inch machine.

I just got into it myself not long ago and got the PorterCable xp7424 and wish I had tried the Groits as I wish I had the extra power everyone talks about, now, I never found this info first but wish I had.

This is my opinion and is worth about .02cents so take it or leave it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LegacyGT View Post
    I would recommend starting off with the porter cable to gain skill and confidence. Once you have mastered that graduate to a flex DA or a rotary.
    I'll second that. If you've never used a rotary, or an orbital. I would definitely go with the orbital to start out. If you are going to start with a rotary...I wouldn't recommend the Dewault. Try the Makita.

Post Thanks / Like

I started with the PC and glad I did. I did just graduate to the new Flex rotary though and will be teaching myself (with the help of the forum threads) on how to use it. But I'm really more of a hands on person, so ready techniques gives me the basics I need, but then I'll just go at it. Maybe I'll hit up my gf's car first. lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaJay's View Post
    I started with the PC and glad I did. I did just graduate to the new Flex rotary though and will be teaching myself (with the help of the forum threads) on how to use it. But I'm really more of a hands on person, so ready techniques gives me the basics I need, but then I'll just go at it. Maybe I'll hit up my gf's car first. lol.
    That will be a nice Valentine present. I bet she never got a hologram before.
    Doug
    2008 Audi A6 S-line

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast