autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: wet sanding and reclearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpingbean View Post
    Here's a thread I found for you that talks exactly about what you're trying to do.

Re-clear carbon fiber hood? - beyond.ca car forums community for automotive enthusiasts

I wish you luck. I definitely want to see the pics a week after you wax it
    trust me, no wax will be applied for 2-4 weeks. i know it takes time(wether it's base or clear)for the chemicals to fully cure. i understand that.

i appreciate your information but not the hidden hostility.

everyone i seen reclear a c/f hood wetsands just as rsurfer applied.

my main concern is wether to polish after wetsanding or go straight to clearing after wetsanding.

nonetheless, thank you for taking the time to link me.

Post Thanks / Like

No problem man. I just want to see you happy with the results. There's nothing worse than spending all kinds of time on a project only to have the results disappoint you.
    Josh
    "Work smarter, not harder"

Post Thanks / Like

he body guys recommend going to between 400 and 600 grit to get proper adhesion. I was the one to actually wet sand my car and I did it with 600. I'm not sure if it's the same with Carbon Fibre but that seems way too fine for proper adhesion....
    That is too abrasive. 600 if you are going bb/cc, but for just cc 1000 is just right.

Quote Originally Posted by corolla619 View Post
    okay, but once done wetsanding, do i need to polish the hood before reclearing?
    No. If you polish the sanding marks out, the cc will not stick. But i would dry sand it instead.

wouldn't the sanding marks show up after reclearing?
    It won't. The cc will fill the sandmarks. after sanding you would want to clean the hood with some soap and water, then completely drying prior to spraying the cc.

I'm telling you 3000 is way too fine as is. Paint needs a rough surface to adhere to. The layer of paint will fill in all the rough surface and become some what level on the new surface.
    I agree.

Stop whining and crying like a baby! Life sucks...deal with it!

Post Thanks / Like

okay, so steps taken are:

1) wet sand 1500,2000,3000
    2) polishout the sanding marks before reclearing
    3) ipa wipedown
    4) reclear
    5) wait a day or two, then polish and wax/seal

thanks ron.
    If you are re-clearing the hood you should not be polishing it before hand or sanding with fine paper. I did a lot of prepping for repaints for resprays and learn how to paint also.

1) Wet sand with 800 grit (600grit for primer)
    2) Prep sol wipe down(Very important. Several times to prevent fish eyes.)
    3) Apply clearcoat
    4) Cut and Polish (Look at the technical sheets of the clear. It will tell you how many hours before you can do this.)

You should not wet-sand(light grits) and polish before you re-clear it. The paint needs a ruff surface for it to adhere to. Also don't worry about the 800 grit wet sand scratches. The clear coat is going to fill them in when you do your "wet coat."
    Alan T.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lasthope05 View Post
    If you are re-clearing the hood you should not be polishing it before hand or sanding with fine paper. I did a lot of prepping for repaints for resprays and learn how to paint also.

3) Apply clearcoat
    4) Cut and Polish (Look at the technical sheets of the clear. It will tell you how many hours before you can do this.)

You should not wet-sand(light grits) and polish before you re-clear it. The paint needs a ruff surface for it to adhere to. Also don't worry about the 800 grit wet sand scratches. The clear coat is going to fill them in when you do your "wet coat."
    That is perfect, Alan. I didn't know what you guys use to remove grease on the surface before washing with soap...Prep sol it is then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rohnramirez View Post
    That is perfect, Alan. I didn't know what you guys use to remove grease on the surface before washing with soap...Prep sol it is then.
    You can use any type of "wax and grease remover" that is readily available to you as they all work effectively. I just use prep sol because I get it locally.

Oh, I also forgot to add. Remember to use a tack cloth right before you spray to remove any surface dust.
    Alan T.

Post Thanks / Like

i use a grease remover too before i wash with soap. usually petroleum based.

Post Thanks / Like

3) Apply clearcoat

thank you very much. i will follow this procedure.

you don't think 800 grit is too rough for the clear? i'm a little worried 800 might be too rough. maybe wetsanding makes all the difference i suppose? maybe i'll hit it with 1000 grit, just don't want to eat deep through the clear all the way to the carbon fiber.

Post Thanks / Like

No, 800 grit is actually on the light side for prepping. You are wetsand to to get a smoother and more uniform finish. There is a difference in wetsand for painting and wetsanding for paint correction. Wet sanding in painting uses 600-800 grit to roughen and prep the surface. Wet sanding in paint correction uses 1000-4000.

Using too fine of a grit will not allow the new respray to properly bond. You also dont have to worry too much about sanding through as carbon fiber hoods are gel coated are pretty hard and much thicker than standard clear. Just be smart about it and dont sand the same spot over and over again. All you want to do is rough up the surface. Unlike in detailing your are not trying to remove defects so you're not continuously sanding one spot.

What is the current condition of the hood? IF the gel coat is not compromised/oxidized you could use a scuff pad in lieu of sand paper if you are scared of sanding through to the weave.

3Mâ„¢ Paint and Body Scuff Pad, 03193, 6 in x 9 in, 20 per case
    Alan T.

Post Thanks / Like

No, 800 grit is actually on the light side for prepping. You are wetsand to to get a smoother and more uniform finish. There is a difference in wetsand for painting and wetsanding for paint correction. Wet sanding in painting uses 600-800 grit to roughen and prep the surface. Wet sanding in paint correction uses 1000-4000.

Using too fine of a grit will not allow the new respray to properly bond. You also dont have to worry too much about sanding through as carbon fiber hoods are gel coated are pretty hard and much thicker than standard clear. Just be smart about it and dont sand the same spot over and over again. All you want to do is rough up the surface. Unlike in detailing your are not trying to remove defects so you're not continuously sanding one spot.

What is the current condition of the hood? IF the gel coat is not compromised/oxidized you could use a scuff pad in lieu of sand paper if you are scared of sanding through to the weave.

3Mâ„¢ Paint and Body Scuff Pad, 03193, 6 in x 9 in, 20 per case
    agree also would not hurt to spray an adhesive promoter before laying down clear.do not polish before clearing as to like the other posts nothing will adhere.if the hood is in good shape you might be able to just scuff it real good with grey scotch pads and wipe it down then clear. just my take

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast