autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Abralon pads and PC

Well I actually tried both ways and I like using the Porter cable --and yes i am willing to use the "zap" factor. I am using a spray bottle so i am not slinging water everywhere an because my air compressor is not that big i am having to wait on it to fill all the time after working just a small area.

Also with that being said i am getting more orbital rotation from the PC and the finish is much easier to work with using the PC.

Thank goodness the 6" pneumatic didnt cost me very much as i am sure i will use it someday in another application.

But for Now, I would have to say that the PC is much more superior to the pneumatic sander if you risk using it with a water bottle instead of soaking the pads in water.

Just my .02cents worth as I can only tell you by experience.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by discoverypro View Post
    because my air compressor is not that big i am having to wait on it to fill all the time after working just a small area.
    This is why the thing you're plugging into the wall is working better than your air compressor.

Air powered DA Sanders require a large air compressor in order to supply them with enough air volume and air pressure in order to work properly. You can't use the common portable air compressors most people have in their garage that are mounted on wheels and can be moved around.

This is why the Porter Cable ELECTRIC DA Sander from the wood industry has become so popular over the last 15 to 20 years and that's because while the tool, (air powered DA sander), and the foam pads have been around a lot longer, most people don't have an air compressor that is powerful enough to power these tool well enough to polish out a fender, let alone an entire car.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    What's even funnier, or even stranger is I've got pictures of that DeSoto somewhere...
    Just a follow-up...

Here's a pictures of the Desoto that was completely damp-sanded using only Porter Cable Dual Action Polishers and the Abralon Sanding Discs.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep-

I even repaired Gel-coat in certain areas of my boat with a Clear Metal flake Gel-coat from US composites and used a 0.25 large Polyflake to repair certain areas of my boat like deep scratches and gouges.

Then using a PC i sanded out most of it with 180's and 360's and finished up with no more than 1200 grit paper.

Followed that with 3m Super duty compound, #83 DA cleaner/polisher, Then a #3 machine pro glaze and Finally collinite #845 to finish.

Take a look at some before and after-- this is with one coat of mixed gel-coat with polyflake and three coats of clear gel coat on top of that. then finished it off with my earlier statement

and now what it looks like today.

and look at the shine now !!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12