autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Freshly Painted with Orange Peel

Quote Originally Posted by RobR93 View Post
    I am restoring a 1984 Mustang GT. I have painted it with a product that NAPA sold me….unfortunately, I didn’t do much homework on paint products……and took their advice. Anyways, it’s my first time painting a car in it’s entirety but it’s a winter project and Im in no hurry, other than I wanted to get it painted before snow flies.

First I did the body work and completely sanded down the car and removed all oils/waxes. I sanded the primer down with 600 grit sandpaper and it was very smooth. I wiped the entire car down with tack cloths before I sprayed color. The color, I painted it with Martin-Senour’s Brilliant Black Pearl and the LeMans stripes are their Galaxy Silver. I shot the first coat and it looked pretty good (so I thought how hard can this be….that was pretty easy), although I didn’t have complete coverage and had some runs……..so I sanded the runs down and shot it again with a little more air and more spread on the paint trying to avoid runs, and got a high degree of orange peel. The third coat actually looks better as I went for more paint and less air, and moved the gun faster to avoid runs which the fender picture you see is representative of where it stands now today with the third coat of black on it. It was the picture I had that you could best see the orange peel effect.

I have the time, and the patience, so what would you recommend I do to remove this orange peel? I do not own a rotary buffer but am willing to buy one to do it right, or do you recommend I just do it by hand by wet sanding? If you think it’s bad enough where I need a buffer, can you recommend a brand and where to get one? Thanks for any information you can provide to me. I have learned a lot from the forums and it has prompted me to stop and ask these questions before I do anything more.
    That picture doesn't look like orange peel, it looks like there was some bad kind of chemical reaction to something.

Post Thanks / Like

How much thinner did you put in the paint? Looks like un-thinned spray to me. It need to flow ant that stuff has no flow to it at all. either it's drying way to fast or you have not got the mix anywhere near right. I have done some single stage painting and did OK. I'm no painter but like I said no flow is your problem.

Any automotive paint stores in your area? Not NAPA but a real paint store.

Here is a work truck I painted a little while ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Freshly Painted with Orange Peel-hpim0374-jpg  
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, you guys were busy last night. Thanks for all the replies. To answer some questions, I mixed it 4:1 with a slow hardener, exactly as the directions say. It doesn't say anything about adding a thinner......is that something that I should have done?

I guess the bonus is that NONE of you guys are as good as getting orange peel as I am.......you should come over and I'll give you some lessons.

The primer I applied I had shot several coats and sanded it all down very smooth, so I know the base is smooth and it was all hand wiped with tack cloths. I don't know that this is any kind of chemical reaction, just poor technique.

I started to sand last night with 1200 on a fender. Here are a couple of pics. Now the sanding is taking the paint down.....when I get a uniform color, does the buffer bring back the black shine (where it looks brown and dull now)?

I should mention, there is NO CLEARCOAT at all on the car. this is just the Basecoat.

Also, don't forget Im in no hurry to get this car on the road.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Freshly Painted with Orange Peel-fendercomp-jpg   Freshly Painted with Orange Peel-fendercomp2-jpg  
    Last edited by RobR93; 09-03-2009 at 06:40 AM.

Mike Phillips

I should mention, there is NO CLEARCOAT at all on the car. this is just the Basecoat.
    Are you going to clear it?

when I get a uniform color, does the buffer bring back the black shine (where it looks brown and dull now)?
    Are you shooting a basecoat/clearcoat system? If so then you need to clear the basecoat as most basecoat paints aren't designed to provide gloss as they get that from the clear layer.

If this is a single stage paint then, 'yes' after you're done sanding the paint flat the buffing process will restore gloss and clarity.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Are you going to clear it?

Are you shooting a basecoat/clearcoat system? If so then you need to clear the basecoat as most basecoat paints aren't designed to provide gloss as they get that from the clear layer.

Mike, this is a basecoat/clearcoat system. I want to get the basecoat right before I apply clear????? I have a gallon of clearcoat and the same slow hardener and it indicates it is also to be mixed 4:1. What you are looking at on the car now is ONLY 3 coats of basecoat. I am using a Brilliant Black Pearl that is sold by NAPA and called "Finish 1". Here is a link though to the manufacturer.

http://www.martinsenour-autopaint.co...olor-card.ashx

I guess my question really was, will the black color come back from buffing after I sand it down.....I know the gloss comes from application of clearcoat (properly of course).

Mike Phillips

I guess my question really was, will the black color come back from buffing after I sand it down.....I know the gloss comes from application of clearcoat (properly of course).
    The black color will come back after you spray the clear layer on.

You don't want to buff the basecoat, sand and prep for new paint, then after all the clear is sprayed you sand the clear flat and then buff the clear.

Buffing out the basecoat would create surface adhesion problems for the first clear layer.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So, what I want to do is sand down the orange peel in the basecoat until it's smooth (starting with a 1200 grit and finishing with 2000). Wipe it down good with tack cloths then put the first coat of clear on?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry folks.....I was gone last weekend and at SVRA event in Watkins Glen this past weekend. Here is the update though.......

I sanded down what looked to be the orange peel in previous pictures and reshot the whole car with basecoat. This time I went a little heavier with the paint so it wasn't as aerosolized and now I have runs. I have taken a close up picture. Also, I was wet sanding on the hood.......so now I have 2 more questions, based on the pictures you see.

1. In the close-up, I want to keep sanding until the paint is completely the dull black color (not the bright shiny black) which means I have the paint smooth (but obviously not sand so far that I get into the primer....which shouldn't happen since there are 4 coats of paint on the car, and this last one was relatively heavy. would that be correct?

2. If you look at the hood, the wet sanding left watermarks and just doesn't look good......do I need to do anything to it before the clearcoat would go on?

I have a new respect for auto painters/detailers now, by the way.......lol. This is fun, but time consuming and at times aggravating!!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Freshly Painted with Orange Peel-img00161-jpg   Freshly Painted with Orange Peel-img00165-jpg  

Mike Phillips

Hi Rob,

I'm not a trained painter, I've painted a few cars but always with the oversight of buddies that are pro painters so with that in mind I do my best to answer your questions but you might want to seek out some forums specific to spraying the paint.

When it comes time to sand and buff the final top coat for a show car finish then I always recommend get as much advice as you can from all forums and then go with the advice you think sounds right. I say this because not all the advice I've seen given on sanding and buffing the top coat on "painter's forums" is what I would consider good. Just because a person can spray paint doesn't mean they're also and expert and the sanding and buffing process.

So get a few opinion, that's all I'm saying...

1. In the close-up, I want to keep sanding until the paint is completely the dull black color (not the bright shiny black) which means I have the paint smooth (but obviously not sand so far that I get into the primer....which shouldn't happen since there are 4 coats of paint on the car, and this last one was relatively heavy. would that be correct?
    Yes. Sand the basecoat till it's flat and then you'll have to prep it for the next layer of paint. Check with your paint mixer at the PBE store where you're getting your supplies, he should be able to recommend a procedure as well as the chemicals you'll need to prepare the surface for good adhesion for the next layer of paint.

2. If you look at the hood, the wet sanding left watermarks and just doesn't look good......do I need to do anything to it before the clearcoat would go on?
    You should be sanding in straight lines in your hand sanding, not all different directions, don't know if that's how you're doing it or not, hard to tell from the pictures.

Make sure your water supply is clean and after wiping the surface down with whatever your paint mixer recommends for a prep chemical, afterwards, the sanded basecoat should have a uniform dull look to it.

What grit are you leaving off at?

I think you would really like our Advanced Wet-sanding and Rotary buffer class this weekend,

October 4th - Sunday Advanced Class - Detailing 102

It will cover hand-sanding, machine sanding and proper technique for removing your sanding marks with a rotary buffer.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input Mike. I sanded the hood with 1500 grit. I cut the runs in the paint down on the car with 800 (the last layer went on pretty thick) and now Im going to move to 1200 and finish with 1500 before going to clearcoat. I will probably try and put 6-7 clear layers on. I will keep supplying some pictures so you have good material to show people how you can screw it up!!! (Actually, hopefully not!!!). I still will need to get a buffer........Im hand sanding the paint on the whole car out now so a buffer will be required in the near future.....I will go back and review your other posts to start that process of what I will need.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast