autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: White marks after wet sanding with 2000 grit (I think I burned my paint)

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    One other point if you ever try something like this again... When sanding on a small area like that, one or two minutes of sanding is way too much. You should be sanding in increments of a few seconds and constantly be checking your progress before proceeding with continued sanding.
    That explains it probably why it was burnt.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

One other point if you ever try something like this again... When sanding on a small area like that, one or two minutes of sanding is way too much. You should be sanding in increments of a few seconds and constantly be checking your progress before proceeding with continued sanding.
    Thank you sir for the great advice.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Honda Enthusiast;1468510]I believe I made a mistake by not using a paint thickness gauge and purchasing unknown sanding brand.

I think you made a mistake by wetsanding in the first place...this should never be first choice, too many threads like this...

+1 and for all the other great advice in this thread about trying compound first, using finer paper first, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Honda Enthusiast View Post
    Dear all,

I am new to this wonderful forum, and also new to car detailing, I detailed a couple of cars with hard paint but first time to work on my wife's Honda Accord. I was sanding a bird drooping on the hood, with 2000 grid with plans to do one pass with 3000 then compound then polish.

I always use 3M sanding papers, however this time I used a product called from auto zone (Finish 1st mini block as seen in the picture, I used the 2000 grid verison), what I liked about it, the block was very small to tackle tiny areas instead of sanding larger areas. I sanded for only 2 minutes only, then found this white spot on the paint. THE SANDPAPER WAS COMPLETELY TORN (SEE THE PICTURE). I didn't use a paint thickness gauge. it was the factory original paint, and I wasn't going to go deeper. I believe I made a mistake by not using a paint thickness gauge and purchasing unknown sanding brand.

Any help or suggestions to repair this spot. I don't want to repaint the whole hood. Thank you in advance.

Attachment 55318
    Attachment 55317
    Attachment 55320
    Attachment 55319
    Bought that before the paper is garbage.But the. Nifty little handle I still have.

Post Thanks / Like

If you REALLY struck through, wouldn't you see the paint color on the pad?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    If you REALLY struck through, wouldn't you see the paint color on the pad?
    I think being able to see the primer under the basecoat is a pretty good indication.

Post Thanks / Like

-Yes, you have burnt through the clear coat and base coat, what you are seeing in that spot is primer.

-Yes, the area can be spot refinished by a competent paint technician for a couple hundred dollars.

-The white residue you see in the velcro hook&loop is not from the sandpaper, it is dried up clear coat slurry (the dried up remains of the clear coat that was sanded off the vehicle)

-As others have said, on a spot that small a minute or two is much too long of a time to be sanding, a couple of seconds or strokes at a time is all that is necessary

-Also bird droppings contain Chitin, a natural chemical that is acidic to automotive paint, if left on too long in hot sun it will thoroughly etch through paint and sometimes it can leave little spots that look like rock chips that are effectively etched down through to the primer or substrate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JKDesign View Post
    -Also bird droppings contain Chitin, a natural chemical that is acidic to automotive paint, if left on to long in hot sun it will thoroughly etch through paint and sometimes it can leave little spots that look like rock chips that are effectively etched down through to the primer or substrate.
    yeah, that's why it's important to get the bird chit, I mean bird chitin, off as soon as possible

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JKDesign View Post
    -Yes, the area can be spot refinished by a competent paint technician for a couple hundred dollars.
    A spot repair is not a proper repair. A reputable shop will spot in the color and blend out from there but the whole hood needs to be cleared.

OP. I strongly suggest going to a reputable body shop to have the repair done. Trying to save money on something like this will often end in only more damage to the vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Mike Phillips

Here's the picture...

Yep... looks like you burned through to the primer...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast