autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

clear coat burn from scratchx use?

Like the title states, I had a small scratch on my new 2016 Honda HRV. I decided to use Meguiars scratchx 2.0 to try and cover it up. I started softly at first and then I'll admit I used a pretty good amount of pressure and time to try and get rid of it more. now I have a patch of light/cloudy looking paint where I applied the scratchx (I posted links to pictures below). It still feels smooth as clear coat when I touch it and does not feel lower than the area around the patch. That's why I'm not completely sure I burned through clear coat (especially since the cars only 2 weeks old), or if maybe I didn't work the compound in correctly and so it hazed/clouded or micro marred the surface? Also not sure if I just somehow contaminated the surface and need to clean/polish it away. Looking to see if you wiser guys could tell me whether it is CC burn for sure or not, and where to go next? If it is burn through I'd rather not repaint right away, is there a way to at least cover it up for now? Or if it is NOT burn through, what is it and what can I do??? Links to before and after pics are below. Any and all help is appreciated. Please help!

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Post Thanks / Like

Re: clear coat burn from scratchx use?

by hand?

also where was the scratch? did you clay the area prior?
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm having a hard time seeing the spot in question. What type of applicator did you use?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Third link down shows the spot in question, right where my fingers are reflected. You'll notice the haze/discoloration. I used a microfiber applicator not terry cloth or foam, did it by hand. I did not clay prior, the car was recently washed and waxed professionally at a local place in town. Maybe I took off some wax or something?

Post Thanks / Like

Really hard to see from the pictures. If it did make it through or damage the clear coat did you notice blue on your towel or pad that you were working in the scratch x with?

It's possible scratch x left behind some marring on the finish and it may be repairable using something like meguiars ultimate polish on a microfiber towel or foam applicator pad.

Always keep in mind that polishing by hand allows you to apply some serious pressure with your finger tips, amounts much greater than we get with a foam pad on a da polisher. This can cause damage because you may not be aware of how much you are actually taking off of the surface.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I did not see any paint transfer. I have ultimate compound and ultimate polish on hand. I tried using those with very light pressure (as I was afraid CC was already thin if not already broken through) not sure if I did not work them in enough to help though?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave59556 View Post
    I did not see any paint transfer. I have ultimate compound and ultimate polish on hand. I tried using those with very light pressure (as I was afraid CC was already thin if not already broken through) not sure if I did not work them in enough to help though?
    Hard to say exactly. The first images make the scratch look pretty deep so it's very possible you are just wearing thin on the clear at this point. If you didn't see any blue on your towel or applicator while polishing it's probably not through the clear coat so that's a positive. Can you get in a little bit closer on the spot so we can get more detail.

Does it just look dis colored or does it kind of look like fine scratches?

Post Thanks / Like

Try ult. polish on it

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the good news is you got the scratch out! The bad news is it looked pretty deep and you could of, as you fear, have compromised the clear. I forget what Scratch-X is like now, they've changed it since it first came out. My recollection is the early version was very gritty, but later they went to a SMAT abrasive so it's more like M105.

If you can live with it leave it alone. If you can't live with it you can try your Ultimate Polish again and if it gets better, great, if it gets worse, you know you've compromised the clear.

Where are you located?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah no paint transfer. It looks more discolored/cloudy, but still has a Surface shine almost like the cloudiness is under the clear or something. It still feels just as smooth as the rest of the car. I had just had it washed and waxed professionally so did I maybe strip some wax or something in that area? I tried using ultimate polish, but barely rubbed it in at all for fear I had compromised the clear...would a glaze work to cover it up maybe? I'll try to get a closer picture. Im located in central Missouri so very hot and humid weather.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast