autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

what is the BEST Final Polish For BLACK?? Swirl free

Been getting kind of frusterated lately not being able to find a product that works perfectly for me, it seems they each have their very own small flaw when using on black especially..

.. First off im working with new and fresh/soft paint using an orbital..I am using 3m rubbing compound and have no problems there it finishes down very fine and only a very light haze..

I am interested in peoples opinion who have tried a variety of products not someone who uses one product and swears its the best just because they use it.. lol

I am VERY picky I want the absolute highest quality swirl free finish.

I usually use 3m ultrafine polish which is pretty good but the one thing I dont like is that it is so oily that I have to do the entire surface to have it blend in or i have an edge somewhere. ( Im only buffing polishing minute dirt specs etc in fresh paint so no need to do entire panels)

I have recently tried the new slick back by shine supply.. I like how it is not oily, I can buff a spot, wipe it and it blends completely with the surface. However it is only finishing down about 95% as well as Id like it to.. Still super light little swirls in the right light It would probably be good for most people, but as I said im very picky.

I am using 3m blue foam pad (about the softest pad possible). I also have on order some meguiars microfiber finishing pads just to try as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: what is the BEST Final Polish For BLACK?? Swirl free

Menzerna SF3500. Then do an IPA wipedown. But you'll need to move up a little in pad aggressiveness to get out swirls.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Menzerna 4500 on black paint. I recently have been using Car Pro's Essence, but it does have fillers if that bothers you. I myself was looking for fine finishing polish that hides fine swirls semi permanently to save my clear coat. It's a daily driver and I don't want to have to chase every little swirl every time I polish.

The 3M blue pad is soft, but I do not care for the waffle pattern.

If you do use Essence, get the Car Pro finishing white pad..goes well with Essence.

Post Thanks / Like

CarPro Reflect with CarPro Gloss Pads.
    2018 Ford F150 - Ruby Red Metallic
    2019 Honda Odyssey - Obsidian Blue

Post Thanks / Like

All of the 3M compounds and polishes are designed for straight drive machines not DA machines.

I have used a variety of compounds/polishes and find that Menzerna simply outperforms most other products in a body shop environment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post

I have used a variety of compounds/polishes and find that Menzerna simply outperforms most other products in a body shop environment.
    Works good in my garage too. LOL!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

an ipa wipedown is an extra step i dont care to really do.. I need it done and quickly.. least amount of steps.. the 3m and shine supply would both work perfectly if i sprayed a black detailer on them and wiped down afterwards. Its just an extra step Im trying to avoid.. Plus no matter how great my towels anytime they get wet is when the lint takes hold.

more aggressive pad? Will a more aggressive pad be able to finish completely swirl free? If thats the case I could be using a more aggressive bad now on what I have to try but seems backwards..

Fillers dont bother me at all.. I do small black parts.. after the first wash the customer will have swirls in them anyway. I just want swirl free with least effort for the delivery atleast

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Also from what I hear the new shine supply polish is a knockoff of essence, with a bit more things added. I also should add im using 3''.. so alot of those pads arent available in 3''.. I do like the 3m pad but also not a fan of the waffle, especially on a DA kind of defeats the purpose..

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    I like Menzerna 4500 on black paint. I recently have been using Car Pro's Essence, but it does have fillers if that bothers you. I myself was looking for fine finishing polish that hides fine swirls semi permanently to save my clear coat. It's a daily driver and I don't want to have to chase every little swirl every time I polish.

The 3M blue pad is soft, but I do not care for the waffle pattern.

If you do use Essence, get the Car Pro finishing white pad..goes well with Essence.
    Not familiar much with menzerna, how is the 4500 compared to the above reference of "sf 3500?" Is it oily at all, hard to wipe off the surface at all? Those are two very crucial things for me

Post Thanks / Like

You really can't find 2 minutes to do an IPA wipedown? I guess I was confused when you said you are "VERY picky I want the absolute highest quality swirl free finish."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast