autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Yes in that it's friendly and the goal is to help others be successful when detailing their boat.

I'm a boat guy and a car guy so I have a passion for both types of detailing. We're doing our second year on Ship Shape TV so we're in this for the long run.

I also just posted an announcement for this class to our forum group on TheHullTruth.com of which we're a sponsor.

To date, I'm not sure I've ever seen any other forum or any other place where the members are not only invited but encouraged to join us to learn how to detail boats.

Thanks, Mike. That's great news. I've seen you on TV many times. I've learned a lot.

I have a boat, 20' CC but I trailer it and it's always covered so it looks brand new. But I have some friends whose boats I work on from time to time. I'm always looking to learn more.

Thanks again!

Mike Phillips

Re: Sign-up: 24' Shearwater Extreme Boat Detailing Class

***Update***

This boat arrives sometime today. This will be the first time I've seen the condition of this boat and I'll try to get some pictures showing how she looks and then add them to this thread.

Mike Phillips

Here's the updated list as of this morning from Marine31Online.com

Sign-up List

1. Mike Phillips - Of course I'll be here!
    2. Frank
    3. John
    4. Antti
    5. Ozzy
    6. Den
    7. SR66

Room for 3 more people to be part of the team.

Mike Phillips

Here's some "before" pictures....

Holograms in gel-coat
    The below picture is a full size section cropped out of the above resized picture. The lines you see running back and forth across where the flash from my camera is lighting up the side of the hull are holograms from a rotary buffer.

Holograms in gel-coat
    The below picture is a full size section cropped out of the above resized picture. The lines you see running back and forth across where the flash from my camera is lighting up the side of the hull are holograms from a rotary buffer.

These graphics that spell out Shearwater are a soft form of plastic that feels like rubber. If you run a buffing pad on a rotary buffer over them you will harm them and even disfigure them.

All of the gel-coat in and around these graphics will have to be addressed very carefully.

Water Spot Stains & Oxidation
    Not only is the entire hull filled with holograms from the misuse of a rotary buffer, (the normal practice by most boat detailers), the gel-coat is also oxidized and covered with water spot stains.

Oxidized Gel-coat
    The top side is oxidized from exposure to the sun. The white gel-coat cap has no gloss, shine or reflection. Gel-coat in this condition is very porous and will tend to deteriorate even faster than gel-coat that is smooth, glossy and sealed with wax.

Because the sides of this boat are filled with holograms, more than likely from someone finishing while using a wool pad on a rotary buffer, chances are VERY good that the top side is also filled with holograms it's just with the oxidation and because the gel-coat is white we can't see the holograms. That doesn't meant they are not there, it just means we can't see them. We still have to remove them.

T-top Waterproofing and Oxidation Removal
    We will be removing the canvas off the T-top and then washing and water-proofing the canvas and then while the canvas is off we can polish the white paint and seal the frame to restore a new look while protecting it too...

Metal and Plastic Surfaces
    All the brightwork on this boat is just like the hull and top side, that is it's oxidized, water spotted and dull so we'll be doing some metal polishing as well as restoring all the eisenglass.

Post Thanks / Like

Sign me up please.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@AutoCleanse View Post

Sign me up please.

Sign-up threads for boat projects on on our boat detailing forum Marine31Online.com

Sign-up: 24' Shearwater Extreme Boat Detailing Class

I approve new accounts on the fly all day....

Also, just to note, Eric the owner will be providing pizza...

Mike Phillips

Here's the updated list for the Thursday boat detailing project.

Sign-up List

1. Mike Phillips - Of course I'll be here!
    2. Frank
    3. John
    4. Antti
    5. Ozzy
    6. Den
    7. SR66
    8. Craig
    9. Chris

If you're not a member of our Marine31Online.com discussion forum but want to attend this Thursday night's project you can go ahead and reply to this thread and attend the class.

It's my normal habit from running discussion forums to try introduce boat guys to our boat forum but at the same time I know some guys are mostly into cars but are interested in helping out with these boat projects.

So feel free and even encouraged to reply to this thread.....

It's all good....

Mike Phillips

***Bump***

Still room for one or two more guys....

Mike Phillips

Just to note, we used this boat for some new segments for "Ship Shape TV" with John Greviskis yesterday.

New Ship Shape TV Shows for 2014 with John Greviskis

Mike Phillips

Anyone driving down from Palm Coast for the Thursday project

We have a forum member visiting all the way from India and he's staying here in Palm Beach and would love to visit us here at Autogeek and be a part of this boat detailing project.

Palm Coast is about 200 miles north from Stuart, Florida.

So do we have anyone?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12