autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: 1940 LaSalle Convertible - Wetsand, Cut and Buff

Quote Originally Posted by axel06 View Post

dear magic mike, when wetsanding using trizac 3000 on the 3m electic orbital sander with one or two pass in general how many mils are being removed??? xoxo... ps.s thanx you i now see the dip.. i knew you had the answer.. god bless

Great question but that's an answer that could be all over the board depending upon topcoat hardness which is an unknown variable.

When I wetsand I do two things and I teach these two things in all my detailing classes,

1. Evaluate the customer/owner
    I make sure the owner of the car has realistic expectations that are grounded in reality. Upon talking to the owner of this car I flat out stated...

After we sand and buff this car you're going to have to really do a great job of taking care of the finish in the way you "touch" the paint, as in wiping the car clean as the owner doesn't wash a car like this... His answer was

yes I'm aware that I must be very careful when taking care of the paint...

After talking to him for a little bit I could tell he knew what's involved in the project and what's involved in taking care of a show car finish.

2. Evaluate the paint
    I asked him about the paint job and where the car was built. I'll get that information and post it in the write-up thread but this car was built by a very reputable shop and it has a very good paint job. I'm comfortable with sanding it and don't expect any problems.

One of the reasons I don't expect any problems is because we're going to take the "least aggressive approach". This means it doesn't matter how much paint I'm going to remove because it's only going to be a little and I'm confident there is plenty of film-build to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    Mike-
    Will you post the Baja results here as well?
    I'll post a sample of the results but my goal is to keep the Marine content on the Marine site and the car content on this site.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet car indeed. I will be there if her schedule permits for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you!!! im gunna get a test panal from junk yard and do a test, i take measurement before... then measurment afterer... itry to look for a panal that has type 2 water spots that are eteched into paint.. and start with sanding useing 3000. wish ing all the best hope to meet you soon!!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by axel06 View Post
    thank you!!! im gunna get a test panal from junk yard and do a test, i take measurement before... then measurment afterer... itry to look for a panal that has type 2 water spots that are eteched into paint.. and start with sanding useing 3000. wish ing all the best hope to meet you soon!!

Sign-up for my September Detailing Boot Camp Class. This is the class that fills up the fastest and it always fills up. Must be something about the timing during the year that it works for most people.

This is also the last class at the $750.0 price as of January the classes are going to #1000.00 and of course there are only three classes a year.

Last weekend of January
    First weekend of May
    Last weekend of September

So clear your schedule and get signed up. And as documented over the last 4 years that I've been here at Autogeek, in all my classes I use the real deal, that is really cool cars to learn detailing, no rental cars, demo hoods or cookie sheets.

I never know what I'm going to have until the date gets closer but I always have cool cars just like this LaSalle.

I think this forum is also the only place where you get to see hundreds of pictures of my students as they work through the various car detailing projects. Heck do a search for any other PAST classes taught anywhere else and there's no pictures or only a few.

I purposefully post hundreds of pictures of all the action that takes place at all my classes because a picture tells a thousand words and hundreds of pictures really show what you get when you attend one of these classes.

Besides learning a lot... you also have a LOT of fun... I guarantee it.

Post Thanks / Like

What a classic! ''Gee our old LaSalle ran great... Those were the days".

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by vet View Post
    What a classic! ''Gee our old LaSalle ran great... Those were the days".

This one is a resto-rod as it looks 100% stock and original until you open the hood and see the modern small block Chevy engine in it.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't think the chrome air cleaner was an option in 1940. LOL

Still a classic in my book. Wasn't LaSalle one of the first with syncromesh transmissions? I know the trannies were popular with rodders, so they must have been pretty beefy.

Post Thanks / Like

ok great im signing up plz hold a spot for me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12