autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Sign-up - 1959 Chevrolet El Camino - December 15th

Sign-up - 1959 Chevrolet El Camino - December 15th

I met Al, the owner of this very cool 1959 El Camino about a year ago. The car has a great story and classic 1950's styling. There is one problem however... it's really swirled-out bad... as in really, really really bad.

I've probably worked on cars in worse condition but nothing comes to mind at this moment that's how bad the paint is on this classic El Camino.

Al and his El Camino will be here this Thursday for an Extreme Makeover. Some times we do "Show Car Makeovers" for cars in good condition but for cars like Al's, only the term Extreme Makeover accurately describes what's about to take place...

I struggle with getting good shots in the dark so Thursday I'll have better pictures until then here's what I was able to capture in the parking lot in the dark.

The 1959 El Camino is very rare...

No plastic trim to have to tape-off on this car...

This is the only year the El Camino came with horizontal fins and what are called Cat Eye Taillights...

The swirls you see in the paint below is what the entire car looks like...

The paint is single stage black, this mean it's going to be soft and easy to buff. The paint will come out like a black mirror when were finished.

The opportunity to work on cool cars with single stage paint is becoming more and more rare, it's truly a treat. If you're in the Stuart area, this will be a great project to be a part of...

We start at 5:00pm sharp! If you want to join in the fun then reply to this thread...

Here's where the action takes place...

Autogeek's Garage
    7744 SW Jack James Drive

Stuart, FL 34997
    Mapquest Driving Directions

The door to the right of the garage door is the entrance to our TV Studio where we conduct these events.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sign-up - 1959 Chevrolet El Camino - December 15th

I wish I lived in that area. I would love to come watch or lend a hand.

I will be able to add to your love of classic single stage, as a customer of mine is dropping off his 1970 Chevelle to my shop next week, so I can return a favor to him and test out some product.

Mike - Mirror Detailing - Powder Springs, GA
    R.I.P. Matt Eddy(SouthrnStyle) 11/26/2010

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mirror Detailing View Post

I will be able to add to your love of classic single stage, as a customer of mine is dropping off his 1970 Chevelle to my shop next week

Single stage, (Like on this El Camino), is real paint. Old single stage paints polish up to a super high gloss with a richness of color that just can't be duplicated by a clear coat finish, especially when it comes to single stage black paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Single stage, (Like on this El Camino), is real paint. Old single stage paints polish up to a super high gloss with a richness of color that just can't be duplicated by a clear coat finish, especially when it comes to single stage black paint.

Ain't that the TRUTH!

Bill

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    Ain't that the TRUTH!

Bill

Anytime someone on the forum gets a car with single stage paint to buff out, and it's their first time working on a single stage paint, I like to ask them to share what they think of the experience, and it's almost always a very positive experience.

There's just something about old single stage paints that makes them fun to polish whereas clear coats tend to just be work.

I wrote an article to kind of share the difference here,

The practical differences between single stage paints and a clear coat paints

And because most restorations and hotrods are re-painted using modern basecoat/clearcoats its becoming more and more rare for the opportunity to buff out a "cool" car with single stage paint.

I hope we get a strong turn-out...

Post Thanks / Like

That thing is sweet!

I agree that single stage when it's right simply looks amazing. Still, why do many rodders continue to use the clearcoat? Probably because clearcoat is harder paint, but that in itself has drawbacks.
    Bill

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    Still, why do many rodders continue to use the clearcoat? Probably because clearcoat is harder paint, but that in itself has drawbacks.
    Believe it or not, I would suggest that most people when they go to have their project car painted with a custom paint job just go with what their painter recommends and most painters are going to shoot the "system" they're using in their business and that is predominantly basecoat/clearcoat paint systems.

There are lots of benefits to modern clear coat technology and to get a new single stage finish a person would simply have to discuss this with the painter. Most shops shooting anything single stage will still be a hi-tech paint system.

This is a single stage urethane in black...

Post Thanks / Like

Those 59's are one of my favorites. Amazing lines.

Post Thanks / Like

Will be there!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Rencor View Post
    Will be there!
    Cool, this will be a very fun project. See if any of your Camaro buddies want to tag along...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast