autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What not to do when detailing a car!

that was funny!!!!
    names tom i live in nj with my wife cindy .and our 3 children. samantha gabriella and little tom...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maxima Mom View Post
    now for tip #4.....when detailing the car in the garage AT NIGHT, with the newly installed shop lights, coupled with #1 previously mentioned....make sure to CLOSE the garage door....this prevents the moths and bugs from flying into the DA polisher pad resulting in aformentioned #3......
    That's hilarious!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post

For #3 Thats the last time he will make the mistake of lifting the polisher with product on it before stopping the motor! Same thing happened to me my first time! Luckily I was outside so the damage wasn't quite as bad.
    This is a real common mistake when a person is first starting out...

About the only time it's hard to really recover from it is on older cars that have grills in the hood in front of the windshield that you can't access to wipe the spatter out of...

This is what I'm talking about, these grills for fresh air intake...

And I tape them off before buffing out the car...

When I detail muscle cars or just about any car from 1970's and older I always look down inside the area under the grill to see if there's splatter and there usually is... then I take a picture of it and point it out to the owner who is usually oblivious to it so I don't get the blame and of course, tape it off.

Other than grills like above... for splatter anywhere else... a little wiping here and there and you're back to work...

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread, funny and entertaining (Yes I'm guilty of #1 & #3 as well)....Still make the #1 mistake every now and then....BUT!
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maxima Mom View Post
    Last night we broke out all our new AG stuff and began to work on the Maxima. Since we are newbies, we really have no ability to give advice... however, we did learn some important facts to pass on to other newbies and even some of you expert detailers. Feel free to post your pearls of wisdom here. As you will see, our detailing pearls involve humor and not real advice!

#1 Do not detail in the nice, clean, hot garage at night when a fridge full of cold beer is next to the car. Remove the beer and replace it with bottled water!!! I feel sick this morning! Nuff said!!

#2 Re-read the Mike Phillips articles with your detailing partner before starting so you don't argue the whole time about who is right about the proper technique! Oh, and by the way, I was right! But then again, I am always right! Isn't that true gentlemen?

#3 When detailing with your partner, don't be the person who lifts the polisher off the car before turning it off!!!! Luckily, it wasn't me! I used to wonder why Mike repeats himself ad nauseum about turning the DA off before lifting it from the car! I only need to hear that advice once or twice. But, the hubby made that fatal mistake early on and we are still cleaning up the mess!
    Great and funny post.. made my Friday haha I have my beer after my detail job.
    But I have sometimes during lol.....

Post Thanks / Like

Great Thread with good humor!

I was doing a little of #1 in the garage last night along with my roommate, thought I did add in a little water between beers.

We also had the door open as well but instead of moths flying in we had blood sucking mosquito's! Nothing worse than being in mid polish on a panel only to have several vampires sucking the blood from your back!

Rasky
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Ha ha, I really enjoyed reading your post. I too have been guilty of committing mistake #1. I like to make a drink called, "Michelada" every now and then when I work on my car. Alcohol and power tools never mix , ask me and my finger how I know.
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Post Thanks / Like

Very funny, thanks for sharing. Sounds like you and the hubby had some quality bonding time! Nice thing is we all make mistakes, great thing is those mistakes help us to really remember what not to do next time. Bonus is you tried out the new stuff and you and your car survived! So there you can see this isn't that hard after all!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kronos View Post
    Alcohol and power tools never mix , ask me and my finger how I know.

I think this is a story I want to hear!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
    I think this is a story I want to hear!
    First off I'd like to say that I was lucky to keep my middle finger. My uncles and I were laying laminate wood flooring and I was the one in charge of cutting the pieces to fit. Luckily one of my uncles was a carpenter and had a pretty good rule of thumb when working with a table saw. Only raise the saw high enough to clear the piece your cutting by about 1/8 of an inch or less. Everything was going smoothly at first, then the beers started adding up. Now I'm a little tipsy and as I was cutting a piece, I noticed the blade didn't clear the top. Without thinking I decided to give it a little nudge downward with my finger to clear the blade. I saw the blade come through and also happened to notice blood splatter on the wall. I had an epiphany, I realized then I was also cutting my finger. Again, luckily for me the cut was really only superficial, except for losing a small chunk of finger from the tip. Surprisingly it healed very well. You'd hardly be able to notice I got cut. From that day forward, I rarely mix tools that cut with alcohol.
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast