autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Technique for my first attempt at a coating.

I been detailing for a while but have never had the guts to try a coating until now. I know that f I want to get more customers then I need to start learning. So....why not try on my wife's car right. My plan is to correct with menz 400 then menz 4000 and maybe carpro Essense then go with one of my 3 tubes of opticoat 2.0 that are sitting in my closet that I need to use soon.

My main question is how much MFs am I going to need for it and what is the method to clean them after? Can I reuse those MFs or are they instantly downgraded because the risk of the coating crystallizing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Technique for my first attempt at a coating.

The majority of OC2.0 will flash away (self level as they say) and will require no wiping... you will only need to wipe away high spots that typically form where you've changed directions while applying.

You'll likely just need one towel to level these spots while you're applying the coating.

Immediately spray the towel with APC and wash it in the washing machine when you're finished and you will be fine.

The real question may be if your OC2.0 is still good? It's been about 1.5 years since that stuff was even in production.

-Zach

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

As for how many MF Towels you are going to need, there's no hard answer-rule, and probably the best answer will be "as many as it takes".

That just like polishing pads, better to have too many on hand, than not enough.

Fairly decent MF Towels that can be used for some of the processes don't have to cost a Kidney. There's nothing wrong with some of the less expensive MF Towels for removing Compounds-Polishes, and when they start looking nasty, you won't be grieving as much when you have to toss them.

I've gotten some reasonably decent packs of MF Towels at Sam's Club, and even Wally World had some inexpensive MF Packs which I bought a few weeks ago, and are fine for a lot of tasks.

No, they aren't Cobra Plush, or the like at $4 to $8 a pop, but they are soft, and usable. (Always good to have an assortment of some different types, I've found some ultra plush towels actually more difficult to use than the cheaper ones in some instances due to drag)

Some time back, I did use a couple of brand new Carrpo Boa Towels to level and finesse CQuartz UK on my one vehicle, and immediately after the coating was finished tossed them in the washing machine, and to me, they were every bit as soft as brand new, and had noticed absolutely no hardening or detriment to them.

Post Thanks / Like

I used some OC2.0 in late August. It was 2 years old +/-. It was stored in the box in the house. Was clear in the tube and worked fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like I'll just keep a bucket of water with APC ready and toss the MF towels in when I use all sides once. I have enough towels to do that. I was just wondering if I'm going to need more but it seems like I should be ok then. I bought the tubes last year from a place locally when they discontinued it. It was the last 3 they had so I figured get it. I just checked it and it's still liquid and clear so it looks ready to go. It's been in the box in my garage. I got the optimum black circle applicator and a lot of carpro suade towels to apply it. I'm booked for about a few weeks so I'm going to need to get some time to do it. Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    The majority of OC2.0 will flash away (self level as they say) and will require no wiping... you will only need to wipe away high spots that typically form where you've changed directions while applying.

You'll likely just need one towel to level these spots while you're applying the coating.

Immediately spray the towel with APC and wash it in the washing machine when you're finished and you will be fine.

The real question may be if your OC2.0 is still good? It's been about 1.5 years since that stuff was even in production.

-Zach
    Thats what came to mind also.I had a client with a cts v for correction and coating.He brought his own oc2.0 after all that work we decided to go with cq.I think a expired 2.0 has yellow tinge to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea that's why I want to use it asap while it still looks good. I think those 3 should be enough for my wife's car, my truck and probably another. I need to get it done.

Post Thanks / Like

Gloss Coat is stupid easy and is the gateway coating to Opti-Coat Pro®. You'll be hooked and you can call me for advice. No need to repurpose microfibers used to just level the coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome Chris. I will let you know if I run into any snags thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

My pleasure��

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast