autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Washing soft paint

Hey guys id like some imput on how you guys wash your soft paint without instilling swirls? My car was repainted black back in Japan but the paint is extremly soft and find it damn near impossible not to put swirl marks/scratches in from even just doing a weekly wash.

I use the 3 bucket method with grit guards and high quality microfibers.
    1 bucket/wash mit for wheels. Then 2 bucket method with mother gold class soap with proper ratio. I then use a leaf blower to dry off most of water then spray duragloss 931 rinless wash mixed to quick dealer ratio and wiped off to leave a good finish. But i still always find my self leaving swirls and needing a full swirl remover every 3-4months. Washing soft paint-uploadfromtaptalk1445138009114-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Washing soft paint

Is that your car in the picture? If so, I like it! The front wheels could use some more poke though .
    Anyways you could try using a foam gun attachment and as you wipe the panel with one hand use the foam gun on the other and spray right into the mitt/direction of cleaning. And which wash media are you using? You said mothers gold class, did you mean meguiars? ..unless mothers makes a gold class soap which I had idea of...anyways good luck!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asianisafish View Post
    Is that your car in the picture? If so, I like it! The front wheels could use some more poke though .
    Anyways you could try using a foam gun attachment and as you wipe the panel with one hand use the foam gun on the other and spray right into the mitt/direction of cleaning. And which wash media are you using? You said mothers gold class, did you mean meguiars? ..unless mothers makes a gold class soap which I had idea of...anyways good luck!
    That is my car yes! The car is more so built for fuction then form! And sorry yes i meant meguiars gold class! the wash it a simoniz genuine sheep skin! Washing soft paint-uploadfromtaptalk1445138737139-jpg

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Also I've been looking into the foam gun and thinking of getting one of winter! It just sucks as this car is 99% time parked in a garage and weekend driven only and i can't do a quick rinless wash to take the dust off from sitting before i wanna drive because i know ill just put swirls in the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Try using a chenille microfiber "noodle" mitt rather than your sheepskin. I have in the past experienced the same issue with a somewhat rough feeling "genuine" sheepskin on delicate soft paint.

Also double check your mitt for "genuine sheepskin", because some mitts are synthetic fibers but say "synthetic sheepskin" in the fine print.

Post Thanks / Like

FANTASTIC CAR! Definitely function>form, unlike me who's form>function haha. Anyways try using mf chenille mits like the previous guy said, they work pretty good and they are what I use. You could also make a stronger dilution of the soap(which I think I do anyways) . As for rinse less washes you can try the Garry dean method, I've used it with success. Then again my paint is hard and not soft some would say since a BMW. GOODLUCK

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys ill definitely look into that mitt and purchase one! As for diluting the soap more i thought if to much was added that theres a chance off removing the wax!?

Post Thanks / Like

Some soaps do that for sure. Idk if gold class will do that....I haven't had any problems with it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by garetth View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys ill definitely look into that mitt and purchase one! As for diluting the soap more i thought if to much was added that theres a chance off removing the wax!?
    I've used Gold Class in higher dilution ratio with success. No wax was removed.

Also, try going over the surface with ONLY 1 to 2 passes with VERY LIGHT PRESSURE. Remember, if there's anything stubborn left, it's much safer to remove with a detail spray after the wash.

GDWM is definitely a good option as well.

Just keep tweaking your tools and technique until you find the perfect combo.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyGXP View Post
    I've used Gold Class in higher dilution ratio with success. No wax was removed.

Also, try going over the surface with ONLY 1 to 2 passes with VERY LIGHT PRESSURE. Remember, if there's anything stubborn left, it's much safer to remove with a detail spray after the wash.

GDWM is definitely a good option as well.

Just keep tweaking your tools and technique until you find the perfect combo.
    Thanks! I usually only do 1 pass very lightly but im thinking as my wash mitt was from canadian tire maybe it was actually fiberglass and maybe that's why i get some swirls. I currently dilute gold class 4 ounces to 3 gallons id hate to use more thinking the bottles here are about $22/each taxes in and theres 32 ounces in a bottle so only getting about 8-9 washes a bottle!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast