autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning honeycomb plastic grilles?

I use shotgun bore mops (maybe one of the gun aficionados knows a better term for these)

I will normally prespray the grille along with license plates and other nasty bits just prior to snow foam. While the foam dwells I will use a detail brush to agitate the nooks and crannies a wash mitt can't get; along with that, I'll use the bore mop on the grille if it's honeycomb.

One way or another I will aerosolize whatever is going to protect the grille, either a trigger sprayer, air brush or aerosol can. Follow up with a bore mop to even it out.

The poor man's solution would be a MF towel wrapped around a chopstick, wheel woolie or dowel.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post
    I use shotgun bore mops (maybe one of the gun aficionados knows a better term for these)

I will normally prespray the grille along with license plates and other nasty bits just prior to snow foam. While the foam dwells I will use a detail brush to agitate the nooks and crannies a wash mitt can't get; along with that, I'll use the bore mop on the grille if it's honeycomb.

One way or another I will aerosolize whatever is going to protect the grille, either a trigger sprayer, air brush or aerosol can. Follow up with a bore mop to even it out.

The poor man's solution would be a MF towel wrapped around a chopstick, wheel woolie or dowel.
    Bore mops or bore swabs are the correct term, and that is totally genius! I am going to raid my gun cleaning supplies the very next time I need to detail my car because you have just given me a thousand and one ideas on how I can use those on all the pesky nooks and crannies on my vehicle! I also have different sizes of swabs and I think a .410ga would be the perfect size, too! Thanks, Audios!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    I picked up this brush online but it's no good. Bristles are too long and weak and distort rather easily.
    A quick fix for brushes like that. Use electric tape above where the bristles start and work your way down the brush. Adjusting how low you go will adjust the stiffness of the brush.
    Easy cheap way to get some sweet brushes.

Post Thanks / Like

2 identical brushed I adjusted like that. These I've only used on interiors that's why it's painters tape and not electric tape. Any of the ones I use for exteriors have different tape for water resistance :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cleaning honeycomb plastic grilles?-1452745331418-jpg  

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234