autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DIY Wheel Well Care

Quote Originally Posted by Zelfiris View Post
    For the guys who are going to try this out, make sure you don't use APC to wash the plasti-dip areas. Plasti-dip come off really easily if you hit it with APC. I have purposedly strip off bad plasti-dip jobs on wheels that were cake with brake dust (turns brown if you didn't already know) by using OPC
    Thanks for this, I didnt know but don't use APC anywhere on the car either so wouldn't effect me, but yes might ruin someone else's work so Thanks for posting this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicktred08fsi View Post
    This is where CQ UK comes into play another good coating is C.A.R Bulletproof for this area.
    Can you elaborate on this process or the materials used. Would be good for this thread. Yes if liners are new then a coating would be easy I would think, but if used and won't clean up perfect then what?? Thanks for this help

Post Thanks / Like

Good info and awesome results.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to be a jerk here and say that you shouldn't have done that. How are you going to dress, or clean these plastidipped areas when they get dirty? It seems a thin coating of plastidip is not going to be resilient enough to handle the abuse taken in these areas of the vehicle. If you can just scrub them with soap, and they look new again, then I am wrong here. For your sake, I hope I am wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Velocitybts View Post
    Thanks for this, I didnt know but don't use APC anywhere on the car either so wouldn't effect me, but yes might ruin someone else's work so Thanks for posting this.
    You're welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

DIY Wheel Well Care

I have to tell you, I admire your dedication to complete this project and your attention to detail. I also think the initial results look great.

However, wheel wells are continually pelted with rocks as you go down the road - that is how the original fender well liners got "dirty" or "marred" in the first place. Plasti-Dip is no where near as durable as that original surface. It will pock-mark and eventually peel - likely looking significantly worse than what you started with.

I can't see just adding more Plasti-Dip as a continual solution at this point. Also, Plasti-Dip once it's all worn and pocked-marked can be a near nightmare to completely remove 100%. Getting all this Plasti Dip out of these wheels wells in the future to go back to factory maybe a monumental task.

The best way I've found to handle this is to just keep everything clean with a Wheel Woolie and coat the clean plastics with DLux for a factory look. The initial gender wheels didn't look bad to me - they just looked like they could use a cleaning. I don't see how Plasti Dip will prevent the future need to clean the wheel wells.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    I'm going to be a jerk here and say that you shouldn't have done that. How are you going to dress, or clean these plastidipped areas when they get dirty? It seems a thin coating of plastidip is not going to be resilient enough to handle the abuse taken in these areas of the vehicle. If you can just scrub them with soap, and they look new again, then I am wrong here. For your sake, I hope I am wrong.
    My original plan was to replace all liners and then Dlux them. That would be preferable but $400 I decided to rethink the process. I live near the beach and all roads have grit everywhere and running Pilot Super Sports that are sticky, they throw everything up. So far they are still perfect. I did put a heavy coat on them. I know they will get nicked up some, but not so far and 2k miles later they are good to go. Worse comes to worse, I will replace all of them, but for now they are holding up pretty darn well. I don't dress the wells for this was the purpose of doing this work. Obviously after spraying them they were dark black, after the 2k miles they still are and simple mitt and soap and water pressure cleans them back to black. Only 4 times since in rain though. Oh, I did spray them down with the Hydro 2 so they repel things a little now.

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I have to tell you, I admire your dedication to complete this project and your attention to detail. I also think the initial results look great.

However, wheel wells are continually pelted with rocks as you go down the road - that is how the original fender well liners got "dirty" or "marred" in the first place. Plasti-Dip is no where near as durable as that original surface. It will pock-mark and eventually peel - likely looking significantly worse than what you started with.

I can't see just adding more Plasti-Dip as a continual solution at this point. Also, Plasti-Dip once it's all worn and pocked-marked can be a near nightmare to completely remove 100%. Getting all this Plasti Dip out of these wheels wells in the future to go back to factory maybe a monumental task.

The best way I've found to handle this is to just keep everything clean with a Wheel Woolie and coat the clean plastics with DLux for a factory look. The initial gender wheels didn't look bad to me - they just looked like they could use a cleaning. I don't see how Plasti Dip will prevent the future need to clean the wheel wells.
    All valid points sir, and you definitely have written some great threads. I have followed some of your guidance in the past also.

1. I was sure some nicks or pot-marks would happen. Not totally sure but figured I could re-spray the dip in those areas and it should flatten out fairly well, if needed.

2. The liners were removed for spraying, so there is NO dip on the car itself. That I wouldn't ever approve of. I did spray a thick coat on, so possibly the rubbery texture and thickness of it helps prevent some of the possible nicks.

3. Re-moval, I would might think that re-spraying if pot-marked and letting totally dry should bond it back together. Then could be removed in one sheet or so. Not tried, but don't plan too. replace whole liner and Dlux when needed. (I think I put in the write up that NOT to do this to new or newer liners and Dlux them instead)

4. Cleaning so far: I have just used hose nozzle pressure for most of the well and MF mitt all around for the first 5" or so. Seems to clean it up pretty well so far. They are still black, maybe lightened up slightly but black and clean. Doesn't appear to have any pot-marks on them and did have wheels off last weekend to rid them of wheel weight residue. Will see if I can post some pics later this week to show after 2k miles the condition.

5. Any suggestions for wheel weight residue. The black rubbery stuff. Plastic Razor blade and Goo Gone, Goof Off, 3m ad remover. ALL worked a little but not for all of it. Some of it was just plain stubborn. What worked the best was MF towel with the end soaked in Goo Gone and elbow grease and pressure. Wore me out and gave up. Only part of the car that bugs me now. Biggest worry was making sure none of the products damaged the Clear coat on the wheels. Didn't want hazy runs in it or something like some chemicals will do.

Pictures will be forthcoming. If they look messed up I will re-tract my guidance and advice wholeheartedly. I would hate for anyone to do something and then it mess up because I gave crappy advice. For worn out liners still not a bad thing, just might not be on a new E63 AMG.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12