autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Whats your best tips for interior detailing?

I been doing exteriors for a while but started doing interiors only recently. Bought a steamer (vapamore primo), a LGM, and a Rug doctor off Craigslist and been getting pretty good results. Sometimes I wonder if I am spending too much time chasing dirt around the car, having to go over areas over and over and over again because the dirt and dust blow or fly back where I finished. Anyone got some tips that would make me more efficient so I don't waste too much time. It seems like I am.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Whats your best tips for interior detailing?

For me, dirt and garbage suddenly appears everywhere after spending an hour or so vacuuming, so I just fight the urge not to turn on the shop vac again til the end.

That usually cuts about 10 minutes out lol

Post Thanks / Like

Buy a Tornador.
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING

Post Thanks / Like

Start from the very back of the car and go towards the front. When you finish the back there should be no need to go back to it. No cross contamination that way. Its hard on dark carpet though seems its never ending

Post Thanks / Like

I also work top to bottom.

If it's just dust on dash, center console etc, a quick interior QD wipe down first.

Carpet, I only vacuum twice at the most, 1 if really dirty before carpet cleaning then once after carpet cleaning. I have many different attachments for shop vac as well. These are really helpful (I have a different set, but these are really close):

I really like brush attachments and scrubber attachment for a DA. Really do a good job in a short amount of time.

Save dressing for the vary end for cleaning up any last kick up.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the brush attachments for the PC

AGO now sells them as singles

Agitate carpet with the Blue or White one before vacuuming. It speeds up the process significantly

Scrubbing by hand is a time killer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    I also work top to bottom.

If it's just dust on dash, center console etc, a quick interior QD wipe down first.

Carpet, I only vacuum twice at the most, 1 if really dirty before carpet cleaning them once after carpet cleaning. I have many different attachments for shop vac as well. These are really helpful (Ihave a different set, but these are really close):

I really like brush attachments and scrubber attachment for a DA. Really do a good job in a short amount of time.

Save dressing for the vary end for cleaning up any last kick up.
    yeah those types of attachments are a god send for me. i've been using them for years, over a decade for sure. but i use them with an original issue black and decker vh780 (if i recall correctly) and the flexible extension that vac has that looks like an elephant trunk, haha. i use the middle five in the picture except for the straight extension. and the piece that my attachments go into is a very narrow cone. i can get every last speck of dust or dirt out with all of that. i tend not to use the brushes on gloss interior trim, esp. "piano black" or clear cluster covers - for those i use a nice MF and Opti-Clean. however, i've found that if the dust is light, you can sort-of just hover over the plastic with a small nozzle and if the vac is good, it'll pull most if not all of it up and you don't even need to touch it.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    yeah those types of attachments are a god send for me. i've been using them for years, over a decade for sure. but i use them with an original issue black and decker vh780 (if i recall correctly) and the flexible extension that vac has that looks like an elephant trunk, haha. i use the middle five in the picture except for the straight extension. and the piece that my attachments go into is a very narrow cone. i can get every last speck of dust or dirt out with all of that. i tend not to use the brushes on gloss interior trim, esp. "piano black" or clear cluster covers - for those i use a nice MF and Opti-Clean. however, i've found that if the dust is light, you can sort-of just hover over the plastic with a small nozzle and if the vac is good, it'll pull most if not all of it up and you don't even need to touch it.
    I just 'amazoned' it for a quick picture. HD sells the kit I got, picked up when I got the Rigid detailers kit for my shop vac. I keep alittle canvass bag with all my attachments ready to go, cleaning one area thoroughly at a time.

The brushes work well for vents and buttons, but as you said, not on gloss. The vacuum really increases with power when you put those little attachments on.

On another note to OP, I assume you have a bunch of attachments for your vacuum? Aside from the ones I pictured (possibly). That flexible crevice tool is really useful (sold alot of places):

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    +1 on the brush attachments for the PC

AGO now sells them as singles

Agitate carpet with the Blue or White one before vacuuming. It speeds up the process significantly

Scrubbing by hand is a time killer
    Do they sell a brush attachment for the flex 3401?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asalesagent912 View Post
    Do they sell a brush attachment for the flex 3401?
    They do sell hook and loop brush attachments. And LC sells a scrubber pad

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast