autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

A Complete Detail from Scratch; how long?

I remember my 1st correction detail which was:

Wash Wheels, Wash Car, Clay Car, Compound, Polish, Sealant, Wax and spray wax/QD.

I might be missing some minor steps and I do not do coatings so I do not know how long that would take, but most detailers here get the idea; a full correction.

I used a PC7424 XP with the 5.5" Lake Country CCS Orange, White and Red Pads. I think I did an OK Job B+ Grade. Some minor scratches could still be seen.

It took me about 25 hours from start to finish! Talk about being a little discouraged! I worked on a Black 2007 Shelby GT as my 1st try. This was about 3 to 4 years ago. Since then I have worked on a few cars to improve my technique, but never kept the time. I know I was getting better as I could tell my quality of work was night and day difference from the 1st correction.

About 1 month ago (10/2014), my friend buys a 2014 Black MB 350 Coupe for his X-wife (long story never mind why).

I did the exact procedure as the 1st time I ever corrected and decided to time myself for a fun comparison. This time the only difference was I used the Flex 3401 VRG and Lake Country's 6.5" Orange, White and Red CCS Pads (did not have the LC Hybrids 5" or 6.5" at the time but they are better than the CCS IMO). The PC7424XP was used for Waxing (3" Lake Country Hydro-Tech Red Pad).

The product was different too: For correction/compounding: Menzerna FG400. Polishing: Menzerna SF4500. Sealant Menzerna Powerlock. Wax: Pinnacle Souveran.

The total time (and I was actually taking my time not rushing and made sure my technique was sound), was 7 - 8 Hours! Wow big difference! I can only surmise that:

1. Technique improved considerably
    2. The Flex 3401 VRG is a beast of a DA IMO the best one out there
    3. Menzerna Products are better than what I used the 1st time.
    4. My grade for the finished product: A+ No scratches and passed the flashlight test with flying colors.

His X-wife is not car savvy, however, when she saw her car (I dropped it off to go to work) she literally called me to tell me she could even tell a difference from the dealer.

What a BIG difference from my 1st complete detail.

My question to all you detailers (hobbyists and pros), how long does it take you guys and gals to correct a ride? What would you grade your technique? What types of product you use and tools you use?

Just a fun curious question. Comments would be nice.

Have a fantastic weekend!!

CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Complete Detail from Scratch; how long?

I typically plan 2 8-10 hour days, I'd say 16-20 hours with me is typical, and that's using my flex. About 4 hours are for interior and glass, the rest on exterior. I don't detail/correct cats for income. I do friends and family and ask only for enough money to cover my consumables. I also correct to the level that I'm happy with, usually mind blowing to the people who own the cars. I've done cars for folks that pay $200 at a local detailer say that what I do is so far above what the $200 job is that it's shocking. I typically ask for around $50-$80 towards chemicals, pads and the such so that I'm not spending my money to play with your car.

I do this because I'm OCD and I love to see the change in the car, and I love when I'm done and I can stand back and admire my results. I also sort of get off on how everyone knows that I'm the go to for making a car look amazing. What I don't like is people soaring the word. I have enough to do with my own cars that I get frustrated when I'm getting guilted into doing other people's stuff while mine need done.

Post Thanks / Like

My very first detail 2 years ago took me about 8hrs.

Wash
    Clay
    Compound
    Polish
    Wax
    Wax

Now, it takes longer... 12hrs min either because
    a) became worse at it?
    b) became even more anal?
    IDK... take your pick
    2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a hobbyist as well. My first time was on a minivan and it took me close to 30 hrs in 3 long sessions. It was more due to lots of pauses out of indecisions and thinking through next steps, etc. After all that, I'd give myself a C. I used the older PC with 6.5" pads and under bright lights, there were still more than a few swirls that can be seen. That was 7 years ago.

Fast forward to this summer. Same van, same PC. But I had switched to 5.5" pads and Menzerna products on my 2nd year. Time cut down to 10 hrs. Split into 4 sessions over a week. I have a family and other stuff to do around the house that needs my attention. Can't seem to afford to block off a whole day just working on a "hobby". And I found that when I split the vehicle into sections, I tend to approach each new session/panels with renewed energy and enthusiasm. I'd give myself an A these days. Van is 100% swirl-free when it's all done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by c8n View Post
    My very first detail 2 years ago took me about 8hrs.

Wash
    Clay
    Compound
    Polish
    Wax
    Wax

Now, it takes longer... 12hrs min either because
    a) became worse at it?
    b) became even more anal?
    IDK... take your pick
    LMAO!!! I did not count the interior as I do not do interiors!!....LOL Windows are just a quick wipe with a WW towel and window spray. You are not anal! You are a perfectionist!!
    CJ
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blade View Post
    I'm a hobbyist as well. My first time was on a minivan and it took me close to 30 hrs in 3 long sessions. It was more due to lots of pauses out of indecisions and thinking through next steps, etc. After all that, I'd give myself a C. I used the older PC with 6.5" pads and under bright lights, there were still more than a few swirls that can be seen. That was 7 years ago.

Fast forward to this summer. Same van, same PC. But I had switched to 5.5" pads and Menzerna products on my 2nd year. Time cut down to 10 hrs. Split into 4 sessions over a week. I have a family and other stuff to do around the house that needs my attention. Can't seem to afford to block off a whole day just working on a "hobby". And I found that when I split the vehicle into sections, I tend to approach each new session/panels with renewed energy and enthusiasm. I'd give myself an A these days. Van is 100% swirl-free when it's all done.

Way cool!! I split similarly way you do. I can work on the ride in the evenings as my garage has full lighting. I will wash clay and compound the car before I go to bed. In the morning I will Polish, sealant and wax in the morning.

How I gauged the time was start to finish in the night and start to finish the next morning. Again, about 7 - 8 hours. Additionally, the MB was a brand new car had dealer induced swirl marks. But Menzerna FG400 is the big time saver when it comes to correcting.

Way cool your van is 100% swirl-free too!!
    CJ
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

I find that the more cars I have wrapped around my belt the longer it typically takes to do a detail (compared to when I first started). Not saying that I have slowed down but I definitely don't try and rush a job. To do the job properly with a high standard takes time and my customers appreciate the end result.

Post Thanks / Like

For me, this is strictly a hobby - I will occasionally work on a friends/family members car but that's about it.

First attempt at machine polishing:

PC7424XP
    M105
    M205
    LC Hydro Cyan, Tangerine & Crimson pads

Wash
    Clay
    Compound
    Polish
    CG Blacklight

18 hours later...Grade C+

Immediately switched to:

Flex3401
    LC Hybrids
    WG Uber/Finishing Glaze
    Applied PBL Coatings (Nov2013) Grade A-

On my latest attempt, I spent 34hrs doing decon, correction and applying CQ UK - split it up over the Memorial day weekend Grade A- had to some high spots I missed, a couple challenges with Reload and streaking. I don't know whether I'm getting faster but my quality of work definitely has improved - OCD can be time consuming when dealing with black paint lol

Next on the horizon - Polish Angel Cosmic - Color Matched...stay tuned for more

Hey CJ - did you order what we talked about???

Post Thanks / Like

It is really hard to put a number on any vehicle I find.

One thing can lead to another, and when you are solely doing the vehicle as a job, I don't think there's any "Geeker" here who would correct the outside, then give the vehicle back with filthy Door Jambs.

I've done vehicles like a '65 Black Caddy that was well cared for, and took about 8 hours doing a one step back in the old days. And the next weekend the car took a best in show.

Then others, where I'm dragging out 2 year's worth of accumulated crap out of the vehicle and trunk just to vacuum. And usually with enough loose change laying around to buy a Big Mac Combo lunch.

I am totally awestruck by many of you folks here, who can go through such basket cases at lightning speed, and the turnarounds are nothing short of astounding.

I shake my head when I look at 90% of the vehicles I see here, I take mental note, and assessment of "what if", and what sort of time frame I could run through their vehicles and make them look the way they should, and how I would like having the vehicle look if it were mine?

And I'm imagining a good week's worth of work just to "resuscitate".

Tires&Wheels which I'm imagining literal hours invested, and that's not getting the insides of the tires-wheels properly unless dismounted.

Undercarriage, and Engine Compartment that looks like they haven't been cleaned in 15 years, and I'm talking 2010-2012 models.

99% of them "Swirl Monsters", where 2013 models look like they'll need a 2-step to refine back to lookin pretty. Trim that looks like they parked next to a sprinkler system for two weeks straight.

Reckon I'm getting old, and "cratchety" will be 60 next month! LOL

It's denfinitely "case by case", and we as humans seem to know what to instinctively do, with the project at hand, the allotted time, and what we can accomplish to help others.

It's all "prioritized", and the general rule of thumb always will be, "Attack the worst areas-issues", and go from there.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I spend about 10 hours on a car and 20 on a truck. I don't rush my work because I just do one per weekend in the summer.
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast