autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bug spray headlight cleaning "trick"?

So is this what's in wipe new? Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KillaCam View Post
    So is this what's in wipe new? Lol
    GOOD QUESTION.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

13,777 views and counting after only 4 days. Wow. Kinda wish I had a pair of hazed headlights to do a comparison test: bug spray vs an actual headlight restoration product.

Post Thanks / Like

After spending a bit of time reading the labels on various insect sprays (that contain DEET), they ALL say: DO NOT USE on plastics, acrylics.

I know better than to use DEET without talking my glasses off (polycarbonate), but I did try a tiny bit on an old lens (just to see what would happen...you guessed it...fogged that puppy up like a London fog.

That was enough for me to NOT even want to try it on headlamp assemblies.

Just my 2¢...

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't use DEET. Again, it's a neurotoxin. Concentrations in most commercial preparations are greater than is generally recommended (30% or so). A single use probably won't cause a problem, but repeated exposure is just bad. Getting "sick" from an insect bite is not very common in the USA. Using on headlights is just silly.

From an article from Duke University Medical Center:

Every year, approximately one-third of the U.S. population uses insect repellents containing DEET to ward off mosquitoes and other pests. At present, DEET is used in more than 230 products with concentrations up to 100 percent.

However, DEET should be used with caution due to its possible damaging effects on brain cells. Studies have shown that DEET causes brain cell death and behavioral changes in rats after frequent and prolonged use. This exposure causes neurons to die in regions of the brain that control muscle movement, learning, memory, and concentration. Rats treated with an average human dose of DEET (40 mg/kg body weight) performed far worse when challenged with physical tasks requiring muscle control, strength and coordination. These findings are consistent with reported human symptoms following DEET's use by the military in the Persian Gulf War.

With heavy exposure to DEET and other insecticides, humans may experience memory loss, headache, weakness, fatigue, muscle and joint pain, tremors and shortness of breath. These symptoms may not be evident until months or even years after exposure. The most severe damage occurs when DEET is used concurrently with other insecticides, such as permethrin, for prolonged and frequent periods of time. At this time, there is little information about the short-term, singular and occasional use of DEET. Further government testing of the chemical's safety is necessary. However, frequent and long-term use of DEET, especially in combination with other chemicals or medications, could cause brain deficits in vulnerable populations, particularly children.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna probably really mess up the spelling, but clothing that is impregnated with 'promethium' works like a champ for mosquitoes!

As someone who is HIGHLY allergic to mosquito bites, my MD gave me the heads up on it. I have an 'over shirt' that I wear when mowing etc, and that stuff works and works well! The clothing is washable (up to about 20-30 times).

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

So have any of you had a chance to test this method yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHotRod View Post
    So have any of you had a chance to test this method yet?
    Not yet, but I'm working on it! Stay tuned...

Post Thanks / Like

Detailing buddy of mine said he was going to test this and see if it has any validity to it at all with the next set of dirty headlights he runs across...

One thing he did mention though is if it does actually in fact work of taking off that type of serious oxidation, then what does it do to your skin???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHotRod View Post
    One thing he did mention though is if it does actually in fact work of taking off that type of serious oxidation, then what does it do to your skin???
    Right? Using any bug spray containing DEET should give you serious concern for your health!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast