autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Costly detailing

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdestroyer View Post
    Most of my business is production detailing

The reason you can't have speed price and quality is because quality takes more time than someone rushing. I would rather take my time and charge a little more so that people get Value, Price and Quality. It's easy to charge more if the value of the work is there.
    It would be nice to:
    rather take ones time, and charge a little more...

But in true "production detailing" terminology:
    That ain't gonna happen too often.

And when a 'value surcharge' appears to have been added...
    "Production-Detailing-Customers", invariably, move on to next lowest-costing facility.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    It would be nice to:
    rather take ones time, and charge a little more...

But in true "production detailing" terminology:
    That ain't gonna happen too often.

And when a 'value surcharge' appears to have been added...
    "Production-Detailing-Customers", invariably, move on to next lowest-costing facility.

Bob
    I think we are using 2 different definitions of production detailing to be honest. When I say production detailing what I mean is services preformed on a DD. a package along the lines of Wash, clay, AIO, tire dressing, windows, vac and dash/console clean and protectant added. Maybe upsell to polish and wax, possibly upsell engine detailing, headlight resurfacing or a full interior detail depending on the client. The other end of the spectrum being show car detailing where paint must be corrected perfectly and everything restored to a level most can't appreciate.

What some of these guys do I call car cleaning, they don't do much that the average person couldn't do themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we are using 2 different definitions of production detailing to be honest.

When I say production detailing what I mean is services preformed on a DD.

a package
    Two different definitions? Maybe so.

The time it takes to perform those services/packages, figures greatly in my definition of "production detailing"...
    To the same degree, as time figures at any "production" job.

Note:
    Just me being the engineer, of my own train-of-thought.
    YTOTTMV (Your train-of-thought-tracks may vary).

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

When I say production detailing what I mean is services preformed on a DD. a package along the lines of Wash, clay, AIO, tire dressing, windows, vac and dash/console clean and protectant added. Maybe upsell to polish and wax, possibly upsell engine detailing, headlight resurfacing or a full interior detail depending on the client.
    I just got a Groupon offer in my e-mail for a full detail. $75 for a coupe, $87 for a sedan, $100 for an SUV, and $125 for a minivan. They claim that includes compounding and polishing on the exterior, and shampooing with an extractor inside, in addition to the things you would expect. On their site it says:
    We are not a bulk detailer

By keep our volume low so we can keep our quality high. We only take few vehicles a day, so we can give yours all the care it needs.

I don't know how anyone can do so much work for so little money!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trekkeruss View Post
    I just got a Groupon offer in my e-mail for a full detail. $75 for a coupe, $87 for a sedan, $100 for an SUV, and $125 for a minivan. They claim that includes compounding and polishing on the exterior, and shampooing with an extractor inside, in addition to the things you would expect. On their site it says:
    We are not a bulk detailer

By keep our volume low so we can keep our quality high. We only take few vehicles a day, so we can give yours all the care it needs.

I don't know how anyone can do so much work for so little money!
    I'm willing to bet they are full of it. Remember the discount is usually 50-70% and groupon takes about 50% of the profit. It makes no sense to use groupon as anyone but a hotel trying to fill empty rooms or similar service. For me to compound and polish with all of the other package expectancies you are looking at a lot of time, it can take 3-4 hours just to compound bad paint work let alone wash, taping off, polish, wax, interior, trim work and so on. Heck a typical AIO package can take 3 or 4 depending on variables. The labour costs alone make this "deal" more likely to be a lie which takes advantage of customers that don't know any better.

To make a profit given the 20% income per job on average of a groupon deal seems impossible, we all know at $75 you are not getting swirl free paint work let alone overall correction.

Post Thanks / Like
    She just told me that they promised high quality work and when she picked it up it was still dirty and not as clean as she expected. She googled for other detailers and mine popped up first and she visited my facebook page and liked what she saw.
    Im going to follow up with her on Sunday and see what she decides.

Xtreme Auto

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12