autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing rust from steel rims

Ok this is not really a detailing question, more of a restoration one.

I purchased a car this winter that I intend to fix and resell.

The steel wheels (ones with the winter tires on) are totally rusted. I mean, no paint showing, just rust.

I am wondering how to go about this. The last steps will be to use a self etching primer and paint on them but my issue is what will be the best way to remove the rust.

I was thinking of using a bown scotch brite with CLR to remove as much rust as possible then sand before using a 50% vinegar/50% distilled water mix with a green scotch brite sponge inhibit rust just before priming and painting.

Any suggestions?

I have wheels with summer tires ready to install but I want to wait an other 2 weeks before I do. I really don't want to have them on if it starts to snow again in this god forsaken place

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing rust from steel rims

You may have to sand blast them or put a little love/elbow grease and sand the paint and rust off then put a couple of coats of black back on unless you are keeping the car for yourself then I suggest you get them powder coated

Post Thanks / Like
    IronX? That stuff ate through the rust on my tow hitch ball

Sent from my Alien Ship

Post Thanks / Like

Sand blast or wire wheel on an angle grinder are the best bets. If it's a somewhat high dollar car then use something from eastwood to inhibit rust, if not then get brown rustoleum primer in a pint can from lowes/walmart, thin with acetone and shoot that through an hvlp gun, then probably black or silver, whichever it should be (same rustoleum can), thin with acetone. Ive had great results with those paints and this method.

Post Thanks / Like

Picked up the car for 500$, it has a street value of about 1700$. I already put 300$ in repair and an other 80$ or so on paint and supplies to fix the paint issues. These are just for winter tires and they are Worth 50$ each new (approx) so I am not gonna spend too much time on them. Just want them a little more presentable than the state they are in right now.

I went to Canadian Tire tonight and found black paint that doesn't need primer and can be applied directly on rusty surfaces. I don't have an angle grinder. I plan to buy one to do the other repairs but somehow I think that wire Wheel will be a little too big for the small cracks in a steel Wheel... maybe I am wrong. I do have a wire brush that attaches to a drill, so I could use that. Could also get a hand held wire brush.

I got some Iron-X but I don't know if it's gonna be as strong as CLR. Maybe I should do a test with both (on 2 seperate wheels) and see what works best.

I am hoping to have the time to start on that tomorrow. I figure this is gonna be a 1 hour per Wheel job. Hope I am right, don't wanna spend a day on those things.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, I don't have sandblasting Equipment, nor a paint gun (yet). I am still searching for a garage to do my work at but so far all the places I found acceptable were like 20 miles away from my home so that's not gonna work for me.

Also for rust inhibitors, vinegar water works just as well and costs pennies instead of 10s of dollars.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have Pictures of what the wheels look like?
    Here"s a video on painting your rims.
    How To Restore a Steel Wheel - YouTube
    Last edited by buick_gn; 04-03-2014 at 12:06 AM. Reason: repeated the same info twice

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think vinegar converts rust into a primer like the products made to do so claim. There are many different shapes of wire wheel to get different places also

Post Thanks / Like

Wire wheel/brush the wheels to remove the rust, then prime and paint. As long as the wheels aren't significantly pitted, bubbled, or otherwise damaged by the rust, you should be fine. By painting you prevent oxygen and moisture from reaching the metal and restarting the oxidation process. Note that for best results, the tires should be removed and the entire wheel cleaned and coated (to prevent uncoated metal from rusting and spreading).
    A white car, a grey car, a red car, and a silver car.